Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Which software?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all..

I've been mixing now for about 12 years on technics 1210's and have decided all the vinyl is taking up too much space.

I want to start using mixing software, I've tried the VDJ free trial and think its pretty good, although would be better if I could monitor each deck on headphones before I mix a track in, is this possible on the pro version, and how is it possible? One problem I did notice with VDJ trial was that the red and blue beat markers don't match exactly with the beats, especially when mixing breaks or drum and bass, can beat markers be aligned with the beats on different tracks?

A mate of mine uses Ableton live5 which I thought was a little too complicated for just djing with, I also fealt ableton was quite alot to get used to and I lost interest with it in a few months.

What software does everyone else use?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 11:40 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Yes the beat makers can be aligned. And you can preview the tracks with either a usb sound card or two sound cards. You can also use TCV, with an ASIO sound card, and use your existing TTs for a more comfortable transition to the digital format. I hope this helps.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 11:52 pm

asking here,I bet quite a few uses VirtualDJ ;) hehe

To prelisten you need to have a soundcard with two stereo outs, or two soundcards, or split one stereo out to two mono signals.

You can connect the two signals to two channels at an external mixer ( and prelisten normaly there), or have one of the signals be master out and the other headphone out.

Those dots under the beats can be adjusted manually , or you can try different auto BPM setting (all music vs house/techno).

Even if the dots arent totally aligned with the beats, it doesnt matter much.
But they be adjusted manually to be perfectly aligned if you want.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 11:54 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi there,

Like you I moved over from 1210's about 5 month's ago.

I downloaded the trail version too, and had the some question as you about queing up your next track with a set ot cans. What you need is a 5.1 external usb sound card that you can plug your headphones into and preview your next track that way, you can pick them up quite cheap.

The way I went as a newbie was to buy a hercules Dj console mk2, This is a soundcard and a controller or in one. Have a look at www.hercules.com.

With this Console you get a free home version of VDJ. I admit it has less functions as the pro version. But it is a very good leaning tool and it get's you started. Once you have mastered this then go on to the pro version. Which I'm looking to now.

As for the other question the pro's will help you out.

This is my advice, I hope it helps.

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 12:02 am
thanks, great help. I've got a creative sound blaster with headphone socket, i'll have a play. Just gotta work how to adjust beat markers manually

cheers

ben

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 12:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)