Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Auto-play on load

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've assigned shorcut's to load a track from the browser to each deck (SHIFT+Left and SHIFT+Right)
I've done this because this is the way it's set up in Serato and I like to keep the 2 softwares as similiar as possible to avoid learning to different shortcut-sets.
However, when I have the timecode on relative and the turntable spinning the track starts playing immidiatly when using Serato, while I have to press spacebar (or play with the mouse) to make the track start in Virtual Vinyl.
Is there any way of setting it up so the track starts playing straight away like in Serato? This would save me a lot of time(and clicking) and also work as a perfect stutter play (perfect for fast drop mixing)
I you guys have any clue on what I'm talking about, please help, because this is the only feature annoying me with an otherwise perfect software solution.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 9:54 pm
it's an odd behaviour that have stuck too long in VDJ, and is fixed for next release.
As long as the turntable spins, the song should play automatically when loaded yes ;)
And will with next upgrade

Until that, you can asign macros to a key.
So just add PLAY to the same shorrcuts as you have above.

In other words LOAD TO DECK + PLAY... on same shortcuts (and in that order, the order matters)

This is actually a very under estimated feature of VDJ.. shortcut macros that is.
You can make very powerfull combos :)

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 11:57 pm
Ok, thanks for the info!
Your answers brings up an obvious second question:
How do you combine functions to make a shortcut-macro?

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 2:50 pm

Asing same functions to same keys

For example your a shortcut for the key "K" could be : go to cue 1 and loop.

to make that happen, asign "goto_cue" and "loop" to the letter K (or a midi button).

You can asign more than two functions of course.

What is important, is the ORDER of the shortcuts, as VDJ goes my them (all in a split second).

You can make some VERY powerfull shortcuts this way ;)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:00 pm
Cool I'll give it a try!

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:05 pm
Your SSL shortcut :

SHIFT+LEFT ARROW

1) goto browser in shortcut >> select "browser_open" >> asign deck1 as value >> asing it to Shift+Left Arrow

2) goto deck control >> select "play" >> asing deck1 as vale (and check auto if you want to auto sync to deck2) >> asign to shift+left arrow

- If you want to bypass the security ("a song is already playing. Are you sure you want to load?"), asign STOP on deck1 to the macro above, as the FIRST function :)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:07 pm

One thing to remember:

Shift + left arrow is by default asigned to nudge function in VDJ, so you might want to remove that shorcut before you make your own :)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:13 pm
Ok, I got the shortcut working, which is cool.
But, it does have a slight delay...not very long, but noticable compared to using hotcue.
And, if I try loading the same track to both sides at the same time, or loading it every other time(while the first is still loading) it lags for about 3-7 seconds(the whole skin freezes, only audio for one of the channels and not both are playing) and it's not usable. Is this a MAC issue, or do you get the same behaviour from the PC version?

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:15 pm

Unfortunately that might be a mac issue.

It works super fast on my PC, and works right.

But, it might also be a slight hessitate with timecode in use.
Will test, as soon as I can.

Btw, this is only a temp solution, as next version should fix the behaviour where you need to press play again to make the song play, when the timecode is already spinning

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:19 pm

Did you add this order of macro : stop - load song - play ?

Weird it gives issues on the mac version, works super fast and smooth on the PC

(non timecode right now though)

Maybe try with AUTO OFF for play, if you have that on, as it will try to sync to the other deck, and if you are fast loading to both decks, it might get in trouble

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:23 pm
for now I just tested it without timecode, and i still get the little hesitation. It's like the software needs a little "thinking-break" to hot-start from the cue-point when loading the track compared to hot-starting from an already loaded track.
And two tracks at once just doesn't work on my MAC.
I'll test it on my PC later to see if the behaviour is the same or if it actually works.
(Btw, doing multiple loads to each deck ended up crashing the software, so if you want an error report please let me know)
I hope that this work flawlessly on the next release.
(If you haven't seen for yourself yet, try this function in Serato and see how I mean it should work.

Btw, macro-shortcuts it an amazing feature. As soon as the MAC version is stable with MIDI input I'm going to have a lot of fun with this function!

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:27 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

Did you add this order of macro : stop - load song - play ?

Weird it gives issues on the mac version, works super fast and smooth on the PC

(non timecode right now though)

Maybe try with AUTO OFF for play, if you have that on, as it will try to sync to the other deck, and if you are fast loading to both decks, it might get in trouble

I did try with stop as well, both I have already disabled security so it didn't really make any difference...
I'm not using fast load anymore, since that seemed to freeze my MAC when using video.
I guess I'll just wait for the next release to have this work properly ;)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:29 pm

Works fine on my pc ;) I have this feature on all the time.

Yes, it should work as SSL in that respect.

It does need a little time to hot load like that, but not very noticable on my pc at least.
and NO crash doing it crazy and loading like a mad man on both decks.

You could post the crash report yes.
Its the last part of the crashguard.txt file

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:30 pm
they should be able to take away that delay entirely, since VDJ already can do this with hotcue. hotload shouldn't be any different(especially since "other" softwares already can do this with no issue)

Btw, it only seems like the long lag and freeze occours when loading the exact same track to each side. When loading different tracks I only get the small delay. (Which still is to much to beatmix correctly though...)
And of course, now I can't seems to re-create the crash...hehe..I'll post the report if it occours again...

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 4:50 pm

yes, should work just as hot cue, when release come :)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 5:20 pm
I have this same shortcut setup. sometimes i grab the mouse though. Any way to setup the macros for the mouse. So when I drag a track in the mouse it will do the same thing as "shift, arrow"??

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 5:30 pm

unfortunately no...

But with new behaviour upgrade, it will auto play when you drag and drop with a mouse... as long as the turntable is spinning (timecode)

Like it should ;)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 6:06 pm
that's nice:)

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 6:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)