Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Cue Point Sync-Play

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SpockiePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Heres an idea I have always wished for in DJ programs for consideration

I would like to be able to easily make *this* point of the track A to occur at exactly *that* point of Track B while I\'m mixing.

One possible way of doing it - you set the cue points you want in each track, then you need a function to make the cue track jump to and start playing at the correct time to make the selected point match the same cue point in the playing track.

Say for example, you use Ctrl 1-9 to set cue points, 1-9 to jump to them, and Alt 1-9 to sync them - so first you set cue point 3 in each track, then press Alt-3 and the cue track starts playing at the right time iunto the track to make cue point 3 on the cue-track play at cue point 3 on the playing track.

Does that make sense ? Does it sound do-able ?

regards

Brett

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:53 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
This is possible with the macro shortcut system:

keep the ctrl 1-9 shortcuts to set cue points.

make the cue point 1 on track A, and the cue point 1 on track B. Those 2 cue points will be were you want both tracks to be in sync.

then make new shotcuts: ctrl+alt+1 for example that will be: gotocue 1 on left deck
and then the same command: ctrl+alt+1 that will be gotocue 1 on right deck.

then when you load both tracks, and hit ctrl+alt+1, both tracks will be playing from cue point 1, and if you add the sync command to the macro, both tracks will be in sync.

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 11:21 am
I think I follow what you mean, but thats not what I meant. :)

Track 1 is already playing to the crowd (so cant be changed), and has a cue point set at either a break, or a certain point during the build-down or wherever.

Track 2 is about to be played, and has a cue point set at the point at which you want to occur at the same time as the out-cue-point in track 1.

I would like a button to start jump into track 2 to start it playing at whatever time into it is necessary to make its in-cue point occur at the same time as the out-cue point of track 1.

So the cue-sync function needs to look at how long to go until the out-cue of 1, and start track 2 playing at a time into the track to make in-cue happen at the same time as the out-cue.

is that clearer ?

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 12:56 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
That is called mixing and that is what DJs do.
If you want to PRE-mix then use a program to put the two tracks together and PRE-mix them.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you want. But what you described is what we do as DJs. Not that what you ask is impossible to make, but if it did exist you might as well let little ol'ladies set intro and outro points and sell the collection of tracks to bar/club owners as PRE/AUTO-mixed sets.

Like I said I understand what you are asking - but be the DJ first - live the experience !

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 1:13 pm
Yes, I have been playing music professionally for a little while, so I know its one of the "Thats for the DJ to do !" things :)

But traditional DJ's think VDJ's beat-lock is cheating as well, so why not make another auto-sync function that makes life easier for the DJ ?

Personally, I think the only critical function of a DJ is to "read" the crowd and select the right tracks to take them on an enjoyabable experience. All else is technicalities that impress other DJ's but are meaningless to the average listener - and I often play styles of music where I want this point to occur *precisely* at that point (to the beat).

Trying to figure backwards the number of measures in the two tracks to make the two points sync seems like needless mental arithmetic that would be better performed by the computer (which already knows the exact times to do so), so I can spend more time thinking about what to play and how to play it, not fiddling trying to line up beats and measures.

The "mix" is still done by me, I decide when to do the Xfade between them, EQ mix, and how much to overlap them - if the crowd needs a rest, you overlap the tracks less, if they're peaking, you keep the energy high and overlap more.

I just think of it as a measure-aware extension of the beatlock feature. :)

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 1:24 pm
I know its possible but please tell me how do i set it so that when I press alt cue # to play a part i have set, it also syncs as well instead of guessing where the appropriate spot is.

Posted Sun 09 May 10 @ 3:49 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You bumped a three year old post in the wishes forum? Please open a new thread in an appropriate support forum.

You can use hotcues to jump to a point and play, and you can chain commands using '&'. VDJ also has a smart cue feature.

Thread locked.

Posted Sun 09 May 10 @ 6:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)