Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Gigaport AG help...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I need some help with my new laptop and Gigaport AG.

My laptop; Dell XPS 1710, Core 2 duo, 2.0ghz, 2g ram, nVidia 7900 GS 256 dedicated, 100g 7200rpm HD, on-board audio, blue tooth, LAN, wireless. Vista Home Premium.

I am having problems with snap, crackle, pop with the Gigaport, using the 2.8.11 drivers in ASIO mode. What do I need to do the remedy this?

When I move to another usb hub without the drivers, It sounds great. However, it's in the 6.1 mode, not ASIO. I am using headphones for this test, but am ready to try live at the club tomorrow. So, what I need to know is:

1. Is anyone using this card successfully with Vista, these drivers, in ASIO mode? If so, how do I do it?

2. Is there a great difference between 6.1 and ASIO, and if so, what is that difference?

This machine runs video like a charm, even with 80 processes running, but that is for another post.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 2:31 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Try to disable Bluetooth and Wireless card, might be IRQ conflict as these two takes resource from Gigaport card.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 2:46 am
Disabled all that, wireless, blue tooth, on board sound, LAN, Firewire, Cardreader, Lighted touchpad, McAfee.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 3:03 am
Than try to enable Overclock option in Performance to see if the pops are gone.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 3:09 am
Did that too.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 3:21 am
snap, crack and pop is generally caused by hardware buffer overruns, i.e. you're pushing it to hard. You could try increasing the latency, how do you have your performance settings set up at the moment? You do have a nice modern system however and it could be some other problem such as a driver issue. As you've said it works well in wdm mode is there a reason that you want to use it in asio?

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 3:54 am
Andrew87 wrote :
snap, crack and pop is generally caused by hardware buffer overruns, i.e. you're pushing it to hard. You could try increasing the latency, how do you have your performance settings set up at the moment? You do have a nice modern system however and it could be some other problem such as a driver issue. As you've said it works well in wdm mode is there a reason that you want to use it in asio?

I tried all the performance and latency combinations ( I think), no luck. Any suggestions on lowering the the buffer overruns? I was led to believe ASIO was the "professional" way to go for quality and latency. I don't know if there is a great difference, so that's why I asked. I will run both my machines side by side tomorrow to test. I thought that some one with experience with this card, could give me a few tips. I want to get a heads up, because I am also building another SFF system, as soon as my case is ready. I want to decide if I want to get another one of these cards, or stick with a PCI card.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 5:33 am
My guess would have something to do with the 80 processes that your mentioned in another post. I have a powerhouse machine, but if there are too many things going on at once (even in the background) VDJ will hiccup.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 6:09 am
djderricke has probably got the solution for this. Having 80 processes active means that a lot of cpu cycles are being stolen away from VirtualDJ; this is not a good scenario when working with asio. Wdm does a far better job of not breaking under pressure (i.e. the pops) and in theory offers lower latency. In practice, whether you should use asio or wdm comes down to the card, whichever you can get the lowest latency with, but stable.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 7:23 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A Man and His Music wrote :
I tried all the performance and latency combinations ( I think), no luck.

In VDJ the Latency drop down should never change from AUTO.
Move and change anything else but always change the Latency back to AUTO.
Make all changes in the Driver's Control pannel for latency.

And since you are only talking about a One Way pipe - OUTPUT - you don't need a superfast latency setting. Set the latency to like the 3rd or 4th fastest option -- how do things sound now? And, I strongly recommend changing the Driver's settings and VDJ settings - shut down VDJ and Re-Open before testing the new settings.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:04 pm
@A Man and His Music
I would reinstall Vista if everything else fails. That way you will kill all process that you don't need.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 1:12 pm
Although that would be the case, it depends how confident he is manually downloading all the drivers and then installing them. Besides, most computers bought now don't give you the Windows XP/Vista installation disc so you only have a restore option. I went with HP who don't throw loads of crap on the machine in the first place (especially on their business models) and leave the Windows' I386 folder on the root of your C drive, this way you can legally create your own Windows installation CD.

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 9:14 pm
Hi,
don't know if this is of any help , i use the Giga Port AG . This is on XP , i use an external mixer , Dac 3 no TCV's so not using Asio , basically got it out of the box and plugged in . When i start VDJ and load a song on a player and hit play no sound is heard just crackle, what i found if i slide the VDJ mixer all the way to the channel that is playing rather than in the middle and momentarly turn VDJ gain down then back up the music starts playing ok ..

Posted Mon 23 Jul 07 @ 9:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)