Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Lasers - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hey tophouse, just to let you know ive also ordered from this store and ive let them know you recommended them :)

Cheers,
Nick

Posted Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 1:44 pm
Hope you enjoy them when they arrive & thanks for mentioning me. It might not do me any favours but who knows.

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 1:41 am
no problems, worth a try :)

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 11:24 am
@TopHouse

Just out of curiosty, In your video, are the Lasers running on a preset show, or are they running on Sound to Light?

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 11:25 am
They are running a DMX controlled 'chase'. Sound to light on all lasers is usually unpredictable and takes some setting up. I highly recommend a DMX controller for anyone who wants to go up the laser avenue. However hardware controllers are fairly reasonable in price. The one I use is this one:-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 12:10 pm
Would love to see a video of the dancing baby, and any other animations they do, that would be awesome.

=))

Posted Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 2:16 pm
Got mine, was delivered yesterday, seems cool, although i've only tested at home without smoke... well except for cigarette smoke.

Unfortunately, i could only afford one, not like that TOPHOUSE guy, no, he buys two! oh how the other half live.! He's got a top Laser setup, top car, top girlfreind, top life and a Top House!

Damn you TopHouse.... :)

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 4:12 pm
hey digimixer, roughly how long did yours take to arrive? I ordered mine Friday just gone and the guy recons it will be here by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Nick

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 4:45 pm
brownn83 wrote :
hey digimixer, roughly how long did yours take to arrive? I ordered mine Friday just gone and the guy recons it will be here by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Nick

It took 5 days (Ordered the 26th, arrived the 31st)

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 5:05 pm
Thanks matey, hoping mines here tomorrow or friday then :)

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 5:39 pm
that was kick azz show. i dont know nothin about how to set up a dmx show. all i use is the on and off type. pins, spinning pin, mirror balls, you know the normal disoc style stuff. is there a dvd or manual out there some were that can teach the novice how to use dmx corectly to get the best show for the buck.

thanks again everyone for all the advice and teaching me how to overcome my short comings.

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 9:26 pm
There's LOT'S of DMX tutorials on the net, most of them over complicate it. Buy a reasonable controller like the one I linked to above and practice. You pick it up really easy. A Quick Tutorial by me:-

Imagine an animation (cartoon) and see the animation as a "chase". Now see each frame in the animation as a "scene".

I'll use lasers here as it's the major subject. So, lets say you buy a laser, for simplicity, it has 4 dmx channels.

On the recommended controller, you have 8 channel sliders and a lot of buttons, don't worry about the buttons yet. Now there is the equivalent of a 'shift' button but it's called a 'page' button. All this does is double up your channel sliders, so you have 16 channels. (16 sliders in a row would be a wide unit!)

OK, the 4 dmx channels on the above "theoretical" laser are :-

1 = colour

2 = vertical (move a pattern up/down to the position you want on a wall)

3 = Horizontal (move the pattern left/right on the wall)

4 = Pattern (circle, square, vertical bar, horizontal bar... whatever shape)

Now the controller has an LCD display, if you move any slider to the bottom it will have a value of ZERO. If you move it to the top, it has a value of 255 (dont ask why 255 as I dont know) BUT, if you laser could do 255 patterns, then you would select each pattern by moving that slider to give one of those numbers.

OK, so you start off, you use "1" to select what colour you want, then use "4" to select what pattern you want, then use "2" and "3" to place it where you want it. You now have a "Scene" so you "record" the "scene" (thats one of the buttons) Then you may change the pattern, the colour, position or whatever, to something else you like. Again, record the scene.

Eventually, lets say you have now recorded 10 scenes. You can now program a "chase" (another of those buttons)

your "chase" can contain all those 10 scenes.

So now, you're in the club/venue, you select "chase 1" on your controller and it will play back your 10 "scenes" in the order you recorded them. There is now another slider which says how long each "scene" lasts before it goes on to the next "scene" in your "chase". ie, how fast it plays back.

Those are the basics of DMX. Obviously I simplified it but with those basics you would be well on your way.

PLEASE DO NOT ask me about different controllers, although they all work roughly the same, I use the one linked above, they are all slightly different, like mixers & amps.

Posted Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 11:11 am
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thx for the info Tophouse.

As a result I have just order two of them. You should get a discount for all the extra business you have generated for them ;)

Posted Thu 02 Aug 07 @ 12:52 pm
I just can't help myself :o)

This is two imove 5 moving heads and 2 ishow 6 scanners (all are 150w HID) and the lasers.

Posted Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 2:38 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
WOW, that is very nice, I like the lasers a lot! I remember I paid 50 bucks for first pocket red one and played with it all day :)

Posted Sat 11 Aug 07 @ 6:48 pm
@Tophouse

I'm not impressed.

When you turned all that gear on, the rest of the country lost electric for an hour.

Couldn't make any coffee.

Am now going cold turkey due to lack of caffeine.

Thanks mate... thanks....

:)

Posted Sun 12 Aug 07 @ 11:42 am
digimixer wrote :
@Tophouse

I'm not impressed.

When you turned all that gear on, the rest of the country lost electric for an hour.

Funnily enough, I use one of those 1U 8 Way power switches for my lighting, I've had to replace all the 8 switches for 16A ones as when the HID lights were striking up, it was breaking the switches!

Posted Sun 12 Aug 07 @ 12:52 pm
@Tophouse or anyone else that bought this laser

I can hardly see the yellow in mine.
I can see where its trying to do yellow, but it really looks like a green with a hint of yellow. Do you guys get the same?

Posted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 10:22 pm
If you've got a dmx controller, get it to do something like a circle but multicoloured, then you can compare the colours better. does that work for you? Also, if you do the circle as above and look at the yellow, are the red & blue mixing properly or do you see a green line very close to a red line?

Obviously with the above you need to be projecting onto a wall.

Posted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 11:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)