Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Are DJ Skills truly appreciated? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I don't think everyone who liked or hated your set will come to you at the event to say it. That doesn't mean they won't say how they felt later when back at home if they remember anything. For the bigger event around here (1000+) with some known DJ names you usually get like ~100 comments on the forums. Plenty of praises of particular DJs mixing and set usually.

As a smaller country we have only two forums specialized for (electronic music) event announcements, feedback, demo mixes/track and everything DJ related so it's pretty nicely consolidated. I don't know about other countries but if your country has active club/rave scene I bet it has some forums like that. Other music styles (rap,hip hop) have their own forums.

Posted Sun 22 Jul 07 @ 3:36 pm
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I agree with you very much 'CHARL1E F1VE' and 'dj-in-norway' :
"dj SKILLS matter... and no dj software can do that for you".

Summary :
During the past 24 years of Dj-ing, I have learnt many things but there are still lots more to learn.

In my opinion, there are 3 most important kinds of Skills (components / dimensions) for DJs:

For beginners:
1) Mixing Skill: Most important, pre-requisite to be dj.
2) Song Selection Skill: Learn what you and your audience love best.
3) DJ Image or Programming Skill: get chance to create a good and solid DJ image, learn how to program your dj set to reach the highs.

Effect of the 3 components in terms of time exposure for a night:
1) DJ Image : People will see the dj the whole night, even when he gets off the dj booth, he still has his DJ image;
2) Song Selections : each song selected play only for a few minutes during the night;
3) Mixing : mixing will take place between songs for only a few seconds each time (for many times) during the night.

My conclusion: for professionals, priority for the 3 components may be:
1) DJ Image : it is your programming skills which differentiate you from other DJs (Building up, ‘Prolong’, Highs, ‘Harvest’), make your crowd love you;
2) Song Selection: Play songs all people will love, read the crowd, balance the need of different types of audiences, make all your audience love you;
3) Mixing Skill : pre-requisite skill and still very important. You can also have your own remix to make you distinctive. E.x. One Night In Bangkok (Because I Love You Artimix) = http://www.theprado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86

In order to become a successful DJ, Virtual DJ can help a lot with ‘Mixing Skill’ but ‘Song Selection Skill’ and ‘Programming Skill’ have to be developed on your own.
-------------------------------

1) Mixing skill is everything?
When I was still a bedroom dj 24 years ago, I thought mixing skill is everything.... I used to make 4-track medleys and remixes in my bedroom.
Artimix 5 = http://www.theprado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68

2) Reading the crowd is important. Is Song Selection the core?
When I was a resident dj in a small club, I used to play with my dj partner betting on how many more people will come to the dance floor and how many people from the dance floor will go. Believe it or not, we really can control the dance floor efficiently by selecting the right songs. For example, “If I play this Depeche Mode track now, those 2 tables of Depeche Mode fans will surely come out and dance but these 4 middle age people on the dance floor might probably go back to their table for drinks.” That is simple arithmetic.
20 years of partnership = http://www.theprado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161

3) You are the ‘God’, you do the ‘Programming’.
All DJs may be playing the same hit songs but what makes you different is your ‘programming skill’

Though I am not a full time dj now, people will think of me when they try to taste back that wild 80’s feeling they once had. ( Retro Night Party = http://www.theprado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124 )

I learnt that in the Live Is Live situation, you have to get hold of the situation and do the right gig at the very right moment.
The dj is the one who is responsible for
- selecting the right songs at the right time;
- building up the highs and creating the atmosphere;
- taking control of the situation and ‘harvest the highs’….he who can make the crowd dance, sings and screams….

Main point here, you can pre-program the atmosphere and make the situation (highs) happens (see note1).

I will see the DJ SET as one whole. The dj has to Program the Building up, Progressing, Prolonging, Highs, Climax within the dj set while taking control of the live situation and ‘harvest the highs’ – do some silly things or cool things to make you distinctive.

Not only the people come for the songs they like but also for environment, the atmosphere. You can play their songs, you can program the atmosphere, actually they are coming for YOU.

Cheers

dj Richard (Artimix)

Please listen to my mixes and give me some comments:
http://www.theprado.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

=============================

Note 1:
Precaution work: Before I perform my ‘mix show’, some pre-caution work has to be done :
- I should see the poster so I know the expectations of the guests.
- I will ask what combination of guests group for the night. (i.e. there are huge differences between fans of : Queen, Depeche Mode, Front 242 / CCCP, Bon Jovi / Billy Idol, Whitney Houston, PWL, Information Society / Will To Power /Shannon.)
- With this information, I will try to make a basic play list that will make everyone happy;
- Plan for the ‘high’ points;
- Do something distinctive at the ‘high’ points and ‘Harvest the highs’ , may it be some cool talk on the mic or some silly stuff like dancing on the dj booth to make you stand out.

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 10:02 am
yes

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 10:11 am
^ Wow, quite the post.

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 5:07 pm
Things that make you say hmmm !!!

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 8:55 pm
things that make you say really

Posted Tue 24 Jul 07 @ 9:22 pm
The old saying goes, "When you play well, few remember, when you play bad, no one forgets!"

Posted Wed 25 Jul 07 @ 2:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)