Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone ever use these for headphones ???? Ultimate Ears

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a dilema. Recently I have been working in clubs that are VERY LOUD. Either my booth is right on top of a speaker that I can't control. Or its just loud in general.

Maybe I am getting older (going on 33). :) But my ears can't take this crazy loud music for extended periods of time anymore. I am finding myself using earplugs at the club that isolate up to 25dB. They work great. I am much happier when I am using them.

But this presents a problem when I have to actually "DJ" and mix music. I am finding myself putting my V700s over my ears (and earplugs). I have to turn the headphones up so loud to be able to mix... its just a silly situation.

So I am wondering if anybody has invested in something like this:

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/Custom-Ear-Monitors.htm

They are sound isolating earphones specifically moulded to your ear. You have to see a hearing doctor to have them take an "impression" if your ear. Then you send the impression off to this company and they make a custom earphone that fits you perfectly. The beauty of these (besides the sound)... is the sound isolation. They are advertising up to 26dB. Great I say.

I figured if I use these... i get the best of both worlds. I leave them on all night so my hearing is protected. When I need to mix... I simply turn the sound on and I should be able to mix perfectly.

Of course a lot of DJs need that "one open ear" to hear the outside music... but I can mix fine with just an MK2 and split and mix inputs.

People who buy these on earphone audiophile forums say they sound awesome. These are extremely popular for musicians as they are starting to use these instead of stage monitors.

But for us DJs... sound quality isn't as important and I am wondering if this is just something that isn't practical for a "DJ" to use. The $550 UE-5c should do the job.

Thoughts? Any DJs here running with something like this? Money is not an issue when it comes to my hearing. But as this is a custom product... they aren't returnable for buyers remorse (only fitting issues).

I am ready to make an audiologist appointment for a fitting next week. Ugh!

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 6:23 am
man ill be honest, as soon as you go to in ears, you cant hear nothin, i use sony mdr 7506's and i swear by them, great isolation and it wont kill your ears,

i was running shure e5 wireless for on stage and i did it for about a month, but it drove me nuts (what happens is you cant hear the stage or the croud or requests or doormen or managers..........) and i would eventualy take them out of my ears and go back to the headphones,

if your concerned about hearing loss, get your earguy to make up a set of db down earplugs, all you need is something that brings down all frequencys evenly, about 6-10db, mine cost me $300 a pair and they work well

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 7:54 am
I bought a pair of custom molded etymotic research noise reduction ear plugs for musicians.. they not only keep you from getting ear fatigue, but they allow natural frequencies through.. I can cue in my headphones with them, and even sing with them in with almost no boominess in my ears...

they're a bit pricey @ $160.00 a pair, but your ears are definitely worth it!

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 10:38 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
I just ordered these
in-ears from Shure. The SE530 is supposed to be the best sounding in-ears so far, and it's getting rave reviews all over.
The good thing about them is that they come with this little nifty device.
The PTH(Push-to hear) is a belt-clip module with a on/off switch which let you turn on and off a built in microphone. That way you can talk to people whenever you want to and work in "silence" whenever needed.
This will hopefully step my dj-game up even another notch(which before was deemed impossible by all of mankind due to my utmost excellence..hehe) and save my ears in the same action.

As you all might have noticed being working DJ's, it's actually people screaming request through a hyperbolic horn(read: hand folded as horn) into your ears which hurts your hearing the most, as it has to be even louder(and of course closer) than the sound coming from the PA-system, so it's important to take care of your ears.

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 1:19 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
to anyone that has that lousy problem as k one describes above with people shouting into your ears which on occassions can be extremely painful press your index finger on your ear as you go to take the request from the punter it kills room noise and you be surprised at how clear you can hear them as well as protecting your ears, this little tip was giving to me many moons ago by a musician friend and i do it automatically everytime....

Tayla

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 3:01 pm
With my Mack ear seals... they advertise up to 25dB reduction. But its nice because I have no problem hearing the guy next to me if I have to hold a conversation. In fact I can probably hold a conversation BETTER with the earplugs in as compared to no earplugs.

But the main issue I do have is when I have to work the Mic I have serious trouble hearing myself over the speakers. That's why I was considering getting these earphones because I can simply turn on the mix input on my mixer and hear my voice through the earphones.

I was also considering getting the livewires. $249 for custom molded earphones with a 30 day return policy. Much cheaper than all the competitors. I figured these may be good because its very likely ill beat the crap out of them DJing as compared to using them for say an ipod.

http://www.livewires4u.com

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 7:54 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'll just repeat my recommendation:

Get the Shure SE530. I had a listen to them in a local store today and they are freakin' amazing.
Sound is better than any headsett or plug I've heard in years. It actually compares to a couple of my waaay to expensive AKG, Sennheiser and Beyer-Dynamic Studio headsets. It isolates REALLY good, and the PTH unit makes talking to people(or shutting them out) very easy indeed.
Can't wait to get my own....

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 9:10 pm
k_one wrote :
I'll just repeat my recommendation:

Get the Shure SE530. I had a listen to them in a local store today and they are freakin' amazing.
Sound is better than any headsett or plug I've heard in years. It actually compares to a couple of my waaay to expensive AKG, Sennheiser and Beyer-Dynamic Studio headsets. It isolates REALLY good, and the PTH unit makes talking to people(or shutting them out) very easy indeed.
Can't wait to get my own....

I actually already own a pair of Shure i4c-t's. They are similar in design... but they also have a microphone and are made specifically for a Treo (2.5mm plug).

They sound good. But IMO they only isolate ok. I couldn't find a rubber earpiece that fit both my ears well. I think one ear canal is a little larger than the other. This is why I am looking for customs.

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 12:33 am
In ear monitors are for babies! I figure u just dont look like a DJ anymore without the headphones.... Course I said the same thing about djing without CDs once to.... hmmm...

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 12:47 am
elitedjs wrote :
In ear monitors are for babies! I figure u just dont look like a DJ anymore without the headphones.... Course I said the same thing about djing without CDs once to.... hmmm...

Yeah so true about the CDs. But I am surprised you started there and didn't say its not a DJ without RECORDS. ;)

Oh BTW... I ordered my Livewires last week. Hopefully I will get them soon. ;)

Posted Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 2:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)