Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Recommended Soundcard for VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Pat_DJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,
I haven't made my decision on which sound card to go with... which sound card would you recommended me.. and that the less problem possible.

At the moment, I don't use any TCV, so line INs aren't a must, although, I'ld like to get recommendation.

Kind Regards,
Pat

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 1:46 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
If you don't need TCV's then get Sound Blaster Live 5.1 USB, cheap and good ;)

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 2:28 pm
I'd like to get other recommendations also.
Thanks

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 2:59 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I started with the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 USB. Only changed from it becuase i wanted TCV, but if i stopped using TCV i'd go back to the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 USB.

Gary

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 4:06 pm
isn't Soundblaster more for Home Usage?

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 4:41 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Pat_DJ wrote :
isn't Soundblaster more for Home Usage?

YES it is...
Let me give a better answer.
A "soundcard" (good or bad) has 2 IMPORTANT parts/factors :

1. Drivers ---> (mostly) affects stability/performance

2. Digital/Analog converters... ---> (mostly) affects sound quality.

So...
First category/option for you is: Get ANY of these usb 5.1 cards. They have the I/O you need.
These cards are plug and play they work with the windows usb audio driver...
That's important, this driver has proven stable. DONT INSTALL ANYTHING from their cd's to avoid troubles...
But these cards have cheap converters. Avoid Sound blaster, look for something like Terratek or Audiotrak etc. (not that much better but..)

Second option: get something that has the ins/outs you need and good asio drivers.
(Better converters also)
The options here are M-Audio, Esi and other cards (u46, maya44usb are the most popular)
Search the forum for more options, but have in mind what i wrote here, what to look and why..

PS. i just read the original post again
Get a pci card if you dont need usb.. much better.
On-board 5.1 cards do work (first category), but you can buy a pro audio card (second option/category)
And buy Virtual dj...

Posted Tue 03 Jul 07 @ 6:30 pm
Soundblaster can work with TCV, I believe, if you use a splitter in the Line In. I tried it with one turntable - but it was a USB turntable without the capability to do backspins and such. Got it to read the timecode (after initial resistance) - it spun round the virtual turntable even though there was no WMA file on the turntable, then stopped when the USB turntable did - I'd only recently replaced the needle - not had the turntable all that long.

Have to look into doing it on my turntables I keep at my sister's house in Middlesbrough, when I go up in August.

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 11:10 am
i've never used any gear for pro audio that wasn't supposed to be pro audio ..........?????

i have a pre sonus firebox ( firewire , 3 outs ) medium expensive ,good sound , hot outputs .....

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 1:11 pm
Yesterday I went to a Digital Music Store, and they said, no to touch anything like soundblaster, etc...

They have recommended me to go firewire, and not really USB, because its much fast. Although, I was looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Pro... Would you recommend something similar but better?

I greatly appreciate all your opinions...

By the way, I'll be buying VDJ very soon.

Kind Regards,
Pat

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 1:42 pm
uhhhhhhhh ................. did you see my post above ??? for another 50$ more than the m audio you get a 3rd dedicated headphone out plus firewire ..........

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 4:14 pm
Sorry about that.. I see... Um.. would you mind telling me how much does it coast? Also, hows the latency with that card?

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 5:13 pm
Hi,
I'm thinking and I'd like to get at lease 4 ins incase, I`d want TCV or TCCD.

So I`d need at leave 4/4 or 4/6. Would you recommend U46DJ?

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 6:08 pm
check on these things yourself .....i don't mean to seem rude but it's your money ....i forget how many ins the presonus has and at the moment it's packed away in the van .....i know it has at least 2 ins, check there website

it cost $300 ..... (249.99 plus for another 50$ ?! ) i have had it over a year very good sound , recommended.....

it gets a lot of use 5,6,7 days a week and sometimes 14 hours at a time ... seems to hold up

i don't know squat about the u46 .....

m audio and presonus and some others have very good reputations ..... i would stick with them and avoid game cards , if it were me .... i wouldn't use products that aren't for our line of work or for our industry......

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 7:25 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
.... i wouldn't use products that aren't for our line of work or for our industry......

More truth has seldom been spoken. Pro gear is designed for moving and heavy use, not too mention better quality.

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 11:00 pm
thanks ptery ! happy 4th to you and everybody

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 12:23 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
For TCV just take Maya 44 or ESI U46DJ.
Firewire is not better or faster than USB 2.0.

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 12:56 am
djfsPRO InfinityMember since 2007
DJ-ALF wrote :
For TCV just take Maya 44 or ESI U46DJ.
Firewire is not better or faster than USB 2.0.

do you not what is the best driver to use for the u46dj?

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 1:55 am
I have a edirol fa 66 and I use it for timecoded vinyl and let me tell you the extra little i spent to get a good quality firewire soundcard was well worth it. I cant say how well the USB soundcards perform because this is the only one I have used but I do know firewire will give you better latency. if you are planning on using TCV then your soundcard you choose will be very important and one I wouldnt try to save money on. I have a tight budget so I understand how it is but once you figure out what your budget is google the soundcard you want and keep looking for a good deal. I got my edirol fa 66 for like $279 which is alot of money but considering a U46dj was going for around $249 that time the extra $30 for firewire and a better quality in my opinion sound card was worth it.

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 4:45 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes I agree, firewire has a better latency.

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 10:04 am
Thank You all for posting, and helping

Posted Thu 05 Jul 07 @ 1:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)