Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Harmonic Mixing - A little assitance

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys

Just noticed this software which apparently analyses your tracks and points out which ones will mix together well harmonically

http://www.mixedinkey.com/Homepage.aspx

Anyone have any experience of this software??? ... or any tips on harmonic mixing generally?

I've never really put in any thought about harmonics when mixing, but i guess it's just more a case of i've known the two tracks don't work together well but i've never actually put it down to harmonic differences!

Posted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 10:01 am
oliwynnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It works quite well for use of acapellas and instrumental tracks and it detects bpms quite well if virtual dj doesnt pick it accurately. I bought it and used it once to analyse my current library and havent really used it much since. you shouldnt really be playing tracks one after the other because of the key they are in. It may sound better when your mixing but if you mix well anyway harmonics shouldnt really be a problem. The major problem i had with it which was a bit annoying was that it renamed my tracks and added keys to it. This meant that VDJ didnt recognize the file anymore and therefore i lost all my cue markers etc on my tracks.

Its good, but I don't really find it that useful.

Posted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 2:03 pm
I purchased MixedInKey about 6 months ago and I have not been impressed. In fact, I have stopped using the software altogether. From my experience, MixMiester detects keys more accurately than MixedInKey, but I have found a solution that I believe is more accurate. Currently I use only MixShare’s Rapid Evolution. Rapid Evolution not only detects keys most accurately, but it is completely free and there is a built-in midi keyboard so I can verify that the tracks have been keyed correctly. The thing that confused me most about MixedInKey was the fact that it detected many of my track as being Major, just from listening to these tracks I could tell that were actually Minor. My advice is to never completely trust any key detection software. While it may get your tunes keyed correctly 90% of the time, for the best results use a keyboard to test the results of the software.

Posted Wed 27 Jun 07 @ 8:03 pm

harmonic mixing is first of all using ears true... having a good sence of music and hearing what fits in key or not.

Mixmeister gets about 65% correct
Rapid Evolution/Mixshare gets 70% correct

And software that uses the TonArt algorithm, such as MixedInKey and more, gets about 50-55% right

Taking the last one as example, it only gets half of your songs right.. So you cant totally trust the keys.

But, to be fair, those that the above software gets wrong, its usually as said not very wrong (very often majopr/minor wrong), so even if it shows the wrong key, its still often very close and good enough for a pretty decent harmonic blend.

Now, the real challenge is to not mix in key all the time (it gets boring, sounds like "same song" all the way), so you should after 4-5 songs do a modulation mix (its still harmonic), meaning you go up 7 steps on the key code scale, to make a lifting feel.

Absolutely essential, if you want to make a lift and good vibe on the dancefloor.

And last but not least, many djs can mix pretty harmonic without the need for Mixmeister keys etc, just by using their ears. Hearing what sounds well together, and what sounds sour..

Posted Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 12:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)