Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Monitoring with no equalizer?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vidanesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been posted before but I have searched the forum for a good while and I haven't found anything on it. At least there isn't anything recent here...

I use an MK2 with VDJ4.3. In the past (I do not remeber with which version of VDJ) I think it was possible to pre-listen/monitor songs and hear any changes on the Treble, Medium or Bass. For some reason, this is not possible with 4.3.

Is there any setting I might be missing?

If not, is the development team aware of this? Will it be fixed in future versions?

I think the ability to pre-listen the equalizer is a very important feature and not being able to do so makes the DJ-ing experience pretty hard. The same thing happens with the fact that the changes in the decks volumes cannot be pre-listened to either.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 07 @ 12:08 am
I believe that there is a way to pre-listen with Eqs, but you will have to edit a registry setting (and I have never tried this setting specifically). Providing that you are using Windows: click Start -> Run -> enter “regedit” -> click OK. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, VirtualDJ. Then edit “EqInHeadphones” by double clicking on the EqInHeadphones entry. Enter the value 1 and click OK. Close regedit and startup Virtual DJ and checkout the result.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 07 @ 12:49 am
Fantastic, David Engel!!! Many thanks for this. It did work on my Windows Vista.

It would be great if the same thing happened with the volume. Is that possible?

Posted Thu 21 Jun 07 @ 7:44 pm
Great, I’m glad it worked. As for your volume issue, do you want like a headphone crossfader so that one track louder than the other, or do you essentially want the master output through your headphones, whereby the channel faders directly effect the volume in the headphones? If you want a crossfader to control the volume of each deck in your headphones, you can accomplish this by setting up keyboard shortcuts for the “headphone_crossfader” parameter.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 07 @ 10:58 pm
I would like the chanel fader to affect the headphones volume so that I get an idea of how the song will come out when the crossfader is brought to the middle.

Posted Fri 22 Jun 07 @ 8:59 am
Humm… It seems to me that one would have to setup some type of post fader listen, but pre crossfader. I did some research and I do not even see an option to use post fader listen in VDJ. What type of music do you spin? I’m guessing that you probably want this configuration for scratching purposes. If that is the case, the gain control is probably your best bet for independent volume level monitoring of each deck. As you adjust the gain, the effect should be noticeable in the headphones and you will be able to determine what the mix will sound like when you put the crossfader in the middle. I hope that is of some help.

Posted Sat 23 Jun 07 @ 4:32 pm
This seems like a great idea. I basically use VDJ with a MK2 to mix all sorts of music. Mainly electronic but sometimes some pop and rock as well. I do not use scratching but being able to hear the level the music will come out like would help me to mix knowing how the songs will sound before actually putting the fader in the middle.

I will try this trick and see how it goes.

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate this, David. I love this community as I can always find answers to any issues. That's what makes VDJ extra-special. :-)

Posted Sat 23 Jun 07 @ 7:33 pm
Thanks ² David Engel for this info!

This brings me to another Question...
Why are these Registry-Settings nowhere documented?
As well i wonder why the Skin-SDK seems to be documented incomplete here!?!

I think the Skin-SDK and also the Reg-Settings should be available to all!

tEkkER

Posted Sun 24 Jun 07 @ 12:51 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
@ MODERATORS

Please raise the level of this topic!

Posted Sun 24 Jun 07 @ 9:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)