Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How can i gauge/measure Latency ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'd like to run tests under various setup situations to measure & record Latency (all setups would feature VDJ and a midi controller)

What would be the best way to go about this?

Posted Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 10:48 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 12:14 pm
Would this only measure latency on the PC side, or also on the controller side too?

I'm still in the process of getting my head around everything in terms of latency, so please bare with me, am i correct in the following asumptions.

'Overall Accumalated Latency' is determined by:

Internal PC Hardware Latency
OS Latency
Soundcard + Driver Latency
Controller Latency

Posted Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 1:05 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
digimixer wrote :
Would this only measure latency on the PC side, or also on the controller side too?

I'm still in the process of getting my head around everything in terms of latency, so please bare with me, am i correct in the following asumptions.

'Overall Accumalated Latency' is determined by:

Internal PC Hardware Latency
OS Latency
Soundcard + Driver Latency
Controller Latency

You have the latency of the audio treatment too (software speaking). It will depend if you use DirectSound (WDM) , WDM-KS (=Kernal Streaming) , ASIO and how you manage your sound (size of the sound buffer, Fast Fourier Transformation, ...)

It's very difficult to know exactly the whole latency especially for the Controller Latency (it would mean to use a high speed Video Cam recorder, ...)

It's easier to know for the Timecode vinyl because you can compare the delay between the sound coming from the turntable and the sound leaving the sound card : record both signal with a software or use an oscilloscope with memory [the signal is not the same but look when the signal appears (sound and no sound)]

Posted Wed 20 Jun 07 @ 2:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)