Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: new nvidia geforce go 8xxx series ???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

has anybody experience with these new gpus ?
8400/8600m ... gs/gt ...
do they all have dedicated vram ?
how much vram with these gpus would be enough to run vdj smoothly ?

Posted Tue 19 Jun 07 @ 8:25 pm
has anybody a new laptop with one of these gpus ?
any feedback
please

Posted Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 5:26 pm
I've had experience with the 8600m gt in the macbook pro and the video in vdj constantly freezes.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 12:07 am

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 12:17 am

or get 7900GTX ;)

it rocks

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 12:21 am
I can't wait. I was thinking about getting the 7900gtx but I might just get a cheaper laptop for now with the 8600m gs 256 dedicated and run it on vista.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:02 am
Well they should throw around Pixel shaded polygons around like no ones buisness, but i don't how well that always translates into video, when you read the reviews of these cards they are always in relation to to games not video.

Does a good 3d card mean a good card for video playback? i don't know, anyone care to elaborate?

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:12 am
The 7900 and 7950GTX are the heavyweight laptop cards. The 8700M GT only has half the memory bandwidth (128 bit vs 256 bit) and is generally a weaker performer. The rest of the 8x cards aren't great either, although they do support DirectX 10 and maybe as more applications take advantage of that featureset these cards will shine.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:13 am

the 8x series might run fine in vista.

But some users have had issues with the turbocache on xp and mac, with video use.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:19 am
digimixer wrote :
Well they should throw around Pixel shaded polygons around like no ones buisness, but i don't how well that always translates into video

Does a good 3d card mean a good card for video playback? i don't know, anyone care to elaborate?

They often feature hardware decoding for video, and VDJ effects used DirectX

So good gamer cards are often also good video mixing cards ;)

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:21 am
Andrew87 wrote :
The 7900 and 7950GTX are the heavyweight laptop cards. The 8700M GT only has half the memory bandwidth (128 bit vs 256 bit) and is generally a weaker performer. The rest of the 8x cards aren't great either, although they do support DirectX 10 and maybe as more applications take advantage of that featureset these cards will shine.

i have a modest 7600gs 256mb ddr3, which can still do most recent(ish) games at 1024 @ 768 close on full detail.

When you play a game, the video card is burdened with many calculations, when you play video surely the demand should be much less. I remember playing dvds on 8mb cards, why does video mixing need such a high spec card?

PS I ask this question not in arrogance, but in geniune wonder! I don't really do any video mixing so admit im not in the best position to comment.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:26 am

It doesnt need as high specs as a 3d game ;) dont worry

But it does need higher specs that a regular DVD play, as VDJ MIXES videos, and uses DirectX processing and effects.. .on EXTERNAL monitor.

A bit more than your every day DVD player does, but not quite as much as a 3D game

Most users have overkill cards for video mixing, but hey, they can always play Battlefield2 in full res when they are bored ;) heeh

And your 7600gs 256mb ddr3 will mix videos just fine, if that ram amount is dedicated ;)

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:34 am
I don't really have a proper technical answer because I don't know that much about video mixing either. They are completely different calculations though. If you think of a process such as a factory which puts together a car, everyone has a set role and can carry out their operations efficiently. If you try telling them to build a motorbike instead, they won't be as efficient. It's a similar sort of thing with the calculations required to do things such as draw 3d objects calculate lighting vs mixing uncompressed video. Graphics cards do not really have hardware to decode video, it is all done in software which is expensive in terms of calculation, whereas with 3d they have various shaders and other hardware support to be more efficient. Essentially, a process done in hardware is free, but a process done in software impacts performance. The Xbox 360 is almost able to apply antialiasing for free for example due to some sort of 10mb hardware system on the gpu.

When the graphics card is working with video it has to do so with uncompressed video, which is extremely large depending on the colorspace and resolution. In this regard you'll find video is like a game where the lower the resolution, the easier it is for the graphics card to do its work.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:36 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I think VDJ is using Direct Draw, a component of Direct X and this is why the card should be good with dedicated memory. Programmers of VDJ should tell ;)
It is funny that someone mentioned that 7 series is better then 8 :)
While 7x00 series had 24 or 32 Pixel shader pipelines and 16 for Vertex (not sure, don't kill me ;) ), 8800 have 130 (!) that can be programmed for virtually everything! 8800 GTS is the most complex micro chip in the world, with amazing 680 millions of transistors!! It is 100% faster than the previous generation, which was never before! And you can connect them 2 in SLI :P
Amount of ram on video cards is not better than a speed. Playstation 3 has only 512MB of ram (GDDR) which operates at amazing 3.2 Ghz! Speed is better ;)

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 6:47 am
Can't get an 8800 GTS in a laptop, yet. Playstation 3 has 256mb of ram and it's xddr. The PS3s actual GPU is a revised 7900 which is a generation old and if you compare most multiplatform games to the Xbox 360 the PS3 versions tend to have less detailed textures. EA are even having trouble making games running at 60fps for it which run fine on the 360 version, but EA aren't one the most talented teams anymore. Very off-topic, but anyone ever checked out the Xbox 360 visualisations? They are immensely good.

Posted Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 1:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)