Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video Aspect Ratio Control

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I have tried the demo version (4.2rc1) and everything's great apart from controlling video aspect ratio. I can't find anywhere in the program that this is possible.

For example, all my videos are XviD. Some are 4:3, 16:9 or 2.35:1 but on the output window, regardless of aspect they are stretched. 16:9 and 2.35:1 are stretched vertically to fill the 4:3 window. This leads me to the conclusion that if you output to widescreen systems then 4:3 will be stretched horizontally. I would have thought that there would be some setting to specify output screen aspect ratio and options to keep the correct aspect on screen so 4:3 systems play 16:9 and 2.35:1 files with black borders top and bottom and 16:9 systems play 4:3 files with black borders on the sides. Aspect control is in my mind essential for any application designed to output video.

I thought I'd be able to get around the problem by using the Windows MediaPlayer video decoder in combination with ffdshow's aspect ratio processing (which works - it corrects the aspect ratio) but I hit a new set of problems. I have FFDshow installed as my preferred codec (ffdshow_rev1220_20070529_clsid) all on default settings. Loading a video into Virtual DJ pauses all controls for a few seconds, then loads the video (however, loading is a lot quicker than the internal video decoder). Also the video and audio play out of sync - the audio plays too early in relation to the video. Playing the file on Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic is perfectly in sync (and also using the Virtual DJ internal codec). Interestingly, the pause when a video loads freezes the entire system apart from the content playing in the video output window.

I have upload the video as it's only 42Mb in case anyone else wants to try it out - www.bantumusic.co.uk/Temp/vdj.avi

However, if anyone can tell me a way I can get correct aspect ratio on that video (720x384) using the internal video decoder I'd be most grateful.

Posted Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 4:36 pm
Does anyone else have this problem or are able to offer a solution please?

Posted Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 3:35 pm
Hi,

I think you're right, as far as I know there isn't a setting for the different ratios in virtual dj currently.

There is a plugin that will let you resize the video in any way you want though. Unfortunately, you need to own the software to be able to download the plugin, but basically it consists of two sliders, one which adjusts the virtical stretch and one which adjusts the horizontal scretch.

That should do the trick I think if you decide to buy.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 12:45 am
hmm, really I'd want it to be automatic. I assume I would have to set the plugin on every non 4:3 aspect video and guess the sliders positions to correct the aspect ratio. That's far from ideal :(

It is unfortunate that for some reason music videos tend to use all manner of odd aspect ratios and manually setting via a plugin isn't what I had in mind ;)

Maybe the VirtualDJ Team can comment if this issue is a bug in the software or an overlooked feature and if it will be/ is being addressed please? I can believe I am the only user / potential customer with widescreen divx/xvid music videos!

Posted Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:35 am
Hi,

That's a good point, I'm sure you can't be the only person here with that kind of issue.

I play music videos myself, but they've all come from the same manufacturer so they've all got the same aspect ratio I guess, or I probably just havn't been looking closely enough for ones that have been stretched a bit.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:59 pm
Just had a quick thought, have only tried the program looking at the video output in a window, or have you plugged in an external screen/projector?

I konw that VDJ behaves differently when it's in the window mode to when it's on external screen mode (eg the quality of the window isn't as good as the full external screen).

So this is a guess because I havn't got VDJ infront of me now, but if you havn't tried an external screen, it might just be worth a go, to make sure it doesn't do what you want already if your on an external screen.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:05 pm
I reported this last year sometime during v3, guess it didn't get priority as a bug. There may be a way to get FFDShow to be used as the decoder and automatically adding borders to resize to 4:3, I'll experiment later if I have time.

Edit: have read you've already tried this, any I remember having sync problems when I tried something similar a long time ago :( I wonder if VDJ supports AVISynth Scripts, could be a possible workaround. Will get back to you.

Posted Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 1:01 am
I guess it would be fairly easy to write a plugin for vdj that would sort this out (if somebody knows how... any volunteers?)

Posted Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 4:26 am
Well if there was a plugin to give correct aspect on DivX/XviD (dependant on your screen output format) or it was in the product by default I'd be purchasing Virtual DJ in a second! Until then I consider this to be an essential function of video output - it's a must have surely?

Posted Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 10:38 am
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I agree, having it as an automatic feature would be nice.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 07 @ 11:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)