Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Bad parties

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

On average, how many bad parties (complaints from clients) have you guys had? How many does it take before you call it quits?

I have this DJ that had two already and possibly on the verge of having 2 more. This is in the last 8 months. Actually the next two are his last two I just sent him on.

They are preaty nasty complaints .... (He just started DJing 8 months ago)

First one.... Used the wrong last name on the intro of the bride and groom. Played line dancing music when it was on paper work not to. <--let that one slide because it was his first. Figured he was nervous.

Second One... karaoke party. Wasn't very energetic. Client made a request toward the end, he refused because time was up. Seemed like he was eager to leave. Party planner said the client said they will not use our dj service again. Party planner then said...Not a good DJ to represent your company. <-- let that one go because it was his first karaoke party, however the complaint would have been avoided had he played that last request.

Third one (possible)... Wasn't very interactive. Wedding reception was over at 1030pm, people didn't start dancing till 10pm. He said that he did not interact with the cake cutting. (UNCALLED FOR. He know how to do weddings at this point.)

Fourth One (likely) ... Bar Mitzvah Client was charge $1,500 ... He misread paper work and the part when they cut the bread ... calling up the birthday boy his brother and rabbi ... (boys name is Josh.... brothers name is daniel and the Rabbi David Boon. ) he said JOSH, DANIAL, and ROBBY!!!!! instead of Rabbi Daviid Boon!!! (preaty funny when you think about it, but not funny to clients) Lighting of the candles, didn't play the first two songs, then mixed up 2 of them. The dancers said he wasn't very energetic. (UNCALLED FOR. He has been to 3-4 bar mitzvahs with me before.)

------------------

You think it is time for the "maybe this isn't for you speach"? These mistakes are small and careless errors. The energetic part tells me, he may not have the personality for this. Should I give it more time? He doesn't plan on making this a career. He going to school for computers. He has a day fulltime job. He just Djs for me on the weekends. Doesn't know his music to well, I will say he has learned what people like to hear, but that's only because he plays the songs I played most parties during his training. Doesn't really have the great of knowledge of songs.

He got ONE Compliment. The rest was the "No News and Good News" deal. The only thing also, he is VERY dependable as far as being there on time and early enough to set up. And not canceling. He has never been late. He has been out to about 15 parties. Since he started. Really started going on his own in December 2006. He started training in September.

He has gone with me to 8-12 different parties, so he knows the routines.

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 3:37 pm
I tell ya. I can't find anyone dependable so I stopped trying and now work alone expect passing jobs to my other DJ friends. Dependability goes a long way but this job is not for everyone. Maybe you can utilize this person for smaller events only, bday parties ect. Keep him away from the major events if you can. I had an employee and in order to keep him extremely motivated offered him a lower rate for the job and 100% of the overtime collected. Believe me he ended up with killer parties and a lot of extra dough and more referrals. Worked very well and it was a great motivator. Now he works on his own. Guess that is how it happens. I just wish I could clone myself.

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 3:57 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Sounds like he just can't be trusted on his own. He isn't much good to you if you have to be with him for him to do the job properly.

I think deep down you know he has to go, but you're not looking forward to telling him, which is understandable.

Do you really want this guy representing your name, your company and compromising future bookings? Its seems like he has already done these things.

It does seem that his attitude reflects that he just sees doing this as some extra 'easy money'

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Gary

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 4:03 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Yeah but 8-12 is not a lot. I have a guy works for me, great guy, cant DJ to say his life. So now he is a dedicated EmmCee, (we always use both a DJ and an MC) works great. Ask him if he would like more time working with you, or if there is anything you can do to help him along. Also you might suprise him on a job or two to see how things are going yourself. He might be one person while you are around and a different one while you are not. Also I would try to get him to be present when the contract is signed, so the parties can both get to know each other better. As to when is it time to let him go, you are on your own there my friend.

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 4:04 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I dont envy you at all. But its worth bearing in mind how nervous ime shure we all were when we first started. Reading the audience and interacting with them is a skill that takes time to develop. Perhaps you could team him up with one of your more experieced djs for a good couple of months to help him gain some confidence as i think most of his slip ups could just be down to nerves. As we all know DJing is a multi tasking job and sometimes it can be hard to get it all nailed. A case of practice makes better but none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. If the guy is dependable then give him some time if it dont work out you shouldnt feel guilty because you tried. It might also be worth contacting clients after the parties that you dont here anything back from they might think he is great.

Good Luck
Daz

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 5:05 pm
I'd give him the axe.

This is why:

1) He is representing you & your Company. Although he does a good job showing up and setting up, he Is a poor DJ, and makes cleints angry.

2) If he made people angry enough to complain; how many has he pissed off that didn't bnother to call in? I've always found that people will be ticked but won't complain unless the offence was pretty greivous. But in the case of the Karaoke party, those bring some pretty wild assed people and they get mighty irritated if they don't get to sing. I'd let him slide on that one.

3) You don't need the hassle of always feilding complaints. No-one does. It's irritttng.

If you are having a hard time with cutting him loose compleatly, demote him. Hire him to drive the van, set-up for your other dj's and tear down. That way You get a reliable guy to make sure your gear isn't destroyed while moving and it free's up some time for you to either take an emergency booking. If something goes wrong and you need a mixer ran to a gig you have him there.

But the final decision is yours.

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 5:33 pm
if you are positive he is trained properly i would say demote or possibly make him an MC.....but the comments don't indicate he has the enthusiasm for an MC .......

i know from experience at bar/ bats that the nervous kids can read off the candles in the wrong order......i always made the office fax me all the info , then i made my own cd's with the candle music on one and all the requsets on another ....then i printed out my directions and put all of above in a big mailing envelope.....i also tried to memorize the candles and i would set up one of those document holders to set up my info where it was easy to see ...... nowadays i operate differently but the preparation is the same

this all about nothing but professionalism ........he either isn't sufficiently friendly , he doesn't do well under pressure or he's very unprepared

if it was me , if i detected any unfriendliness or lack of work ethic i would let him go at this point .... word of mouth is huge ..... i don't have any yellow pages ads .....just lotsa hand shaking , phone calls and getting happy customers to give some referrals......my point is you can do well w/ just word of mouth as long as it's 100% positive ......bad word of mouth hurts you a lot

there IS a difference between not having your A game ( occasionally ) and being lousy ........

you don't seem like the nasty tyrant boss to me ........

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 6:33 pm
Interesting dilema, either more training needed, or time to give him the axe.

If you havn't said to him that people find him unenthusiastic, then make sure you tell him (tactfully), so he knows where he needs to improve.

If you think he's been bad because he's nervous, then he needs more time.
Take him along to more gigs, start off by asking him what song he thinks would go down well next, etc. then get him to do half an hour early on, then maybe more music primetime, but with you on the mic, then finally him doing nearly all the gig, but with you giving a few pointers on the way. I guess this is what you might have done anyway, but maybe more experience is what's needed.

If you think he's bad because he doesn't enjoy it/ want's to get home early, then he's gotta go. (Or be demoted, if you like him and think he might be useful doing something else.)

Posted Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 6:47 pm
Maybe he needs to go to a gig and have you there with him. He runs it, takes the requests and does it all, secure in the knowledge that you are there in case he messes up. Of course he does not get paid for this re-training.

When I worked for a mobile DJ company, the DJ had to interview the client to make sure he/she was going to do as the client asked. The resulting paper work was then copied and given to the company owner.
Even though I had 5 years experience when I started with this company, I had to go with the owner to 20 functions before I was allowed to spin by myself with no one there to back me up. Surprise visits by the owners wife were very common. Many a time I saw here talking to the hosts before she had even let me know she was there. This type of attention kept me and 14 other DJs' on our toes.

If you do musically what the client asks for then you should get no complaints.

The extensive training I received from this guy paid off in the long run. When I finally stopped using my tables publicly, I was booked almost completely for the next year and I had made over 100,000 dollars that past year.

However, if you feel you have done your best by this DJ and he is still doing poorly, then its time to say goodbye.
Every bit of advice given here in this thread is as good and probably better than what I have given.
I hope it works out for you.

Posted Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 12:53 am
I'm sorry, but he has to go. Being on time and bad, is the same as being late and good. Neither are acceptable. The fact of the matter is, everybody can't do what we do, well. Did you disgust the bad feedback with him, right away? That should have been done, as soon as you received it. If this was for him, he would have been at every gig, watching and learning. He would be practicing, every minute of every day. He would be calling you and everyone else on your staff, trying to get better. You would not have to look for him, because he would be there. He would tell you, "I need a little more training, before I go out on my own again."I'll bet he has not done any of these things. I do not believe you have to motivate DJ's, they should have that. You just have to teach them how to channel that motivation. Some guys have been lucky, and run very good multiple systems. I stopped that 20 years ago and have not looked back. This is stressful enough, without having to worry about one of our employees. You know he is not the one. There's nothing wrong with that. This has nothing to do with you being a bad boss, he is just not good for your company. Now, if there is some personal reason you are keeping him around, you will have to re-evaluate this. I don't go to doctors that have multiple malpractice complaints against them, I don't care how punctual they are.

Posted Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 11:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)