Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BIOS

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm still having sound issues with my laptop, and its the final stage of trying things before HP gets it back.

According to the ESI website, the crackling i get from my maya44us could be due to onboard sound interfering and it suggests disabling the AC97, sound, audio, MIDI and gameport in the BIOS.

I don't seem to be able to change very much in my BIOS or have any of these options.

Any suggestions?

I'm using an HP Pavillion DV9288ea http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12936524-78126925.html

Thanks,

Gary

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:28 am

Try just disable them in your Windows hardware manager.

And its true what they say, lots of soundcard drivers are unfortunately very sensitive to IRQ sharing and to intense hardware (that interfear the data flow to the card).

M-Audio and other soundcard producers, generally recommend disable WiFi, Bluetooth, internal soundcard and LAN, when working with asio in audio programs.

To get rid of cracles/pops there are 2 solutions:
1) Increase the audio buffer/latency on the maya card
2) Disable hardware that interfear with the CPU's dataflow to the card.

Aslo, remember, to use AUTO at latency in VDJ, with the maya card.
This will let Maya control the latency, and not VDJ. And that works better for most pro cards.

Hope that helps

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:33 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
sounds like a locked bios

u might need to contact hp again to ask for a password to get full acess

is it aslo greyed out in windows options?

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:33 am
I can't see any areas greyed out, just can't see many options to do much at all. In my Dell BIOS there are a million and one options, but all there seems to be is 3 or 4 in the HP.

I did disable the onboard audio, bluetooth, wireless etc using the device manager, and this didn't help, i wasn't sure if this was effectivly the same as disabling it in the BIOS though.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:45 am

did you ALSO set AUTO for latency in VDJ ?

is it a laptop, turn Overclock on in VDJ

and adjust the audio buffer settings in Maya control pannel until pops are gone. Increase your latency, pop/crackles means your system cant run at your current latency setting (hardware releated)

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:50 am
ps, for Simon and anybody else who has followed my lifestory on here, i tried using the onboard sound and the crackling noises were gone.

I tried using an external creative live usb soundcard and the crackling was there, so i don't think its the maya, i think its something else we still haven't discovered.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:51 am

its USB...

USB is super sensitive to audio drop outs.

If the usb port is shared, you need to disable the hardware. Look at your current IRQ settings.

Also, increase the audio buffer in maya will help

AND AGAIN, DONT FORGET TO SET AUTO AT LATENCY IN VDJ WITH MAYA! :)

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:53 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

did you ALSO set AUTO for latency in VDJ ?

is it a laptop, turn Overclock on in VDJ

and adjust the audio buffer settings in Maya control pannel until pops are gone. Increase your latency, pop/crackles means your system cant run at your current latency setting (hardware releated)

Yes, i'm set on auto-latency, i've tried every combination of overclocking and safe mode ticking and unticking.

As for changing the audio buffer size in the maya control, its just set to normal.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:54 am
There are no IRQ conflicts. The usb port isn't being shared with anything else and i went through them all one by one.

There are no drop outs, its a continuous crackling noise (like old vinyl playing) and it only happens when video is activated, either a sonique plug in or music video. Disabling video stops it happening.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 12:58 am
GaryBr wrote :
There are no IRQ conflicts. The usb port isn't being shared with anything else and i went through them all one by one.

EVERY USB PORT ON THE PLANET IS SHARED!

the PC architecture only have 15 REAL irqs, all the rest are virtual irqs, that Windows make. Its called ACPI, where Windows tries to compensate for the fact that the IBM PC architecture was made many decades ago, when there was no need for lots of hardware connected to the same CPU.

And hence, USB have problems with asio audio, as asio audio needs constant flow of data, or at least new data before the audio buffer runs out.

SO AGAIN :
- Until the World makes a new PC arcitecture, there are ONLY 2 solutions :

1) DISABLE hardware until you find the conflict, OR use different usb port that migth not conflict
2) INCREASE audio buffer at the soundcard control pannel, so that it has enough audio buffer to always read data, when waiting for new.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers from Maya, as the soundcard makers constantly tries to make better drivers to handle the issues above.

And just to make one thing perfectly clear, there is a small chance that your pc's internal hardware is made together in a way that you can not get rid of the issue.

In that case, VDJ has a feature called SAFE MODE, that will fix it, but safe mode can not help in asio, only in directX sound mode.

And the maya is particularly sensitive, so if you are totally out of luck, sell it, and try a different card.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:04 am

pop/crackle/constant crackle noise... is all the same issue :)

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:05 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
GaryBr wrote :

EVERY USB PORT ON THE PLANET IS SHARED!

the PC architecture only have 15 REAL irqs, all the rest are virtual irqs, that Windows make. Its called ACPI, where Windows tries to compensate for the fact that the IBM PC architecture was made many decades ago, when there was no need for lots of hardware connected to the same CPU.

And hence, USB have problems with asio audio, as asio audio needs constant flow of data, or at least new data before the audio buffer runs out.

SO AGAIN :
- Until the World makes a new PC arcitecture, there are ONLY 2 solutions :

1) DISABLE hardware until you find the conflict, OR use different usb port that migth not conflict
2) INCREASE audio buffer at the soundcard control pannel, so that it has enough audio buffer to always read data, when waiting for new.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers from Maya, as the soundcard makers constantly tries to make better drivers to handle the issues above.

And just to make one thing perfectly clear, there is a small chance that your pc's internal hardware is made together in a way that you can not get rid of the issue.

In that case, VDJ has a feature called SAFE MODE, that will fix it, but safe mode can not help in asio, only in directX sound mode.

And the maya is particularly sensitive, so if you are totally out of luck, sell it, and try a different card.

Well i must admit i didn't spend £1600 on new laptop, new soundcard, this software, mains conditioner and be expected to have a degree in IRQ's and computers to get it to work! But i have been able to keep my cool up till now while speaking to Nvidia tech support & HP tech support, so i doubt anyone here could bother me :) (Don't test this theory)

I have disabled all the hardware that can be be diabled, i'm up to date with every possible update and tried previous drivers too.

Why would this sound interference correspond to moving images on the screen? I only get it when there is a moving image in the preview window of the skin. If i use a skin with no video preview, everything is fine (even if i'm playing a video out the second output to a screen)

I don't know much about IRQ, but it says there are no conflicts and the usb port i'm using isn't sharing an IRQ number with anything else.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:16 am
GaryBr wrote :

Why would this sound interference correspond to moving images on the screen? I only get it when there is a moving image in the preview window of the skin. If i use a skin with no video preview, everything is fine (even if i'm playing a video out the second output to a screen)

Hm, I havent read all your hardware history, sorry about that...

But the above statement clearely indicates there is a problem with your USB in relations to your video card.

what video card you have ? It definitvely sounds like using the internal video previews taxes your CPU to the extent it will interfear with the stream of data to the usb port, OR conflicts with the usb port itself .

And this is by the way a common problem with weak video cards.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:22 am
The video card is Nvidia Geoforce 7600 with 512mb dedicated memory.

Nothing seems to struggling. I can turn every effect on at once and everything works until i use a skin with a video preview window :(

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:25 am
GaryBr wrote :

I don't know much about IRQ, but it says there are no conflicts and the usb port i'm using isn't sharing an IRQ number with anything else.

There is a difference between a CONFLICT reported by the Windows ACPI , and IRQ sharing.

In windows, IRQ's are almost always shared, and its what Microsoft calls "Plug and play", and fittingly often renamed to "Plug and pray" .... ;) hehe

PC's have personality, and it can often be the weirdest thing that causes the conflicts. I have even had djs with usb problems, where it turned out to be MSN that taxed the CPU, and others the anti virus software.

So its damn hard to single out the issue.

But Nvidia and HP should hopefully also have some good inputs. HP systems are bloated with extra hardware by the way, that taxes the CPU as background apps.
I would strongly suggest you reinstall a clean XP version....

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:26 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
remember this was the case we chatted about a couple of days ago rune with the wacky nvida driver for laptops

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:26 am
GaryBr wrote :
The video card is Nvidia Geoforce 7600 with 512mb dedicated memory.

Nothing seems to struggling. I can turn every effect on at once and everything works until i use a skin with a video preview window :(

Great video card, have the same, and works great.

Ok, as said, PC's can be tricky, specially when a conflict like this occurs.

When talking to HP, ask them if there is a upgrade discount for Vista, works better with audio.
Or at least ask for a OEM XP clean version, no HP crap:)

Could you post a screenshot of your hardware device manager? Specially when choosing the IRQ view.

I'd love to try help sort it, but cant promise anything... :)

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:29 am
skyfxl wrote :
remember this was the case we chatted about a couple of days ago rune with the wacky nvida driver for laptops

I got the card on desktop... hm

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 1:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)