Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ripped Video Quality

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have recently started ripping videos on my laptop using DVD Decrypter...when I drag the files onto CUE the quality of output seems a bit "glitchy".....I haven't set it up properly as in connected it to a screen or anything as yet, I have just connected the output to a 17" tft screen....

Is the problem that...

a, the software I am using to rip the DVD's (DVD Decryter) is not very good?

b, the quality of the DVD's that I am ripping is not very good?

or

c, the video card in my laptop (I don't know which one it is!) is not very good?

I have seen people mentioning Smartripper...where can you get this from???

Many thanks

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 3:52 pm
also..... is .VOB the best format for video files or should I be using something else???

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 5:11 pm
I have not used that ripper, but hear it is pretty good, so I would check B and C. If you are ripping 70's and 80's videos, they will look like 70's and 80's videos, not very good quality. That's OK, because that is the way it is. Now, if your video card is not up to the task, that is another can of worms. It could also be the specs of your machine. Tell us what they are. As for the format, you will get different opinions. I use .vob's, and love them. They are bigger files, but so what, I just get bigger hard drives. I use smartripper, and it works great for me. Just do a Google search, and you should be able to find it.

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 8:25 pm
I have been using DVD Decrypter for nearly 3 years and there is no loss in quality. The quality of the video can be dramatically affected by the connection to the output device (s-video, vga, dvi, etc.), the output device itself (lcd monitor, projector, plasma tv, etc.). Let's not forget, the video card. Just for ha-ha's, compare the s-video output and the vga output. You should see a difference.

Posted Thu 31 May 07 @ 5:30 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
DVD Decrypter is one of the best ripping programs out there.
You should check your files on another computer.
VDJ Dose not work well with a lot of Video cards.
Also Vob Files are vary large and your computer may be too slow to handle them.
And also check you HDD speed, 7200rpm is what is recamended.
Vob files are basicly MPEG2 files, you can convert them to smaller bit-rate MPEG2s
You'll lose some quality but save on

Posted Thu 31 May 07 @ 8:19 am
I downloaded the DVD Decrypter last night but was too tired to test it... Tophats blogs was very simple to follow for setup.. I can't wait to to try it out, however I may not have time since I have a Jager Model search tonight to MC

Posted Thu 31 May 07 @ 5:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)