Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: SOUND QUALITY - DISTORTION

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ive used Mac the ripper to rip my PROMO ONLY DVD's to VOB files.... from there i used Visual hub to convert to MPEGs (deinterlaced) to clear up any artifacts and other anomalies.

Then bought the ATI RADEON X 1900 XT video card for my MAC PRO ($400) to output with s video to 3 projectors and 4 tv's.

Video Finally looks great in the club !!!!! I am so happy... 3 weeks in the making.... and finally we have success....

Excited, I crank it up... OH NO !!! Horrified, I realize the sound is DISTORTING...

OK Breath...... think think think

............. Lots of thinking later......

Ive tried adjusting all my hard wires, cables, nobs, gains, ect and come to the conclusion that it's both the VOB's and the MPEGS Either that or something with my mac outside of VDJ (Numark Cue / Virtual Vinyl)

it's like the computer has a master gain that is cranked up to the point of mild distortion and i can't adjust it...

Question

is it the files? were they ripped incorrectly? It seems like the wave forms are pretty big....wide... maxed out... however you say it...

what do i do? is there a way to decrease the volume of my mpegs? is it too late?

is there a mystery master output or gain control in VDJ?

help Help help ! PLEASE HELP !

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 3:28 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
on options try setting "autolatency"

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 12:46 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
How do ripper mp3's sound?

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 4:47 pm
Brilliant Idea !

i never thought to play an MP3. this will reveal if it's the actual video files ... or if it's the MAC OS... or Virtual DJ program ect....

I'll try playing the VOBs in quicktime.. and i'll try playing the MP3s in iTunes as well as VDJ.

At work all day and will try tonight before i DJ.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 5:05 pm
skyfxl wrote :

what will this do?

What does it mean?

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 5:07 pm
gowilly20 wrote :
skyfxl wrote :

what will this do?

What does it mean?

If regular MP3's play fine, its either the vob's audio stream is encoded like crap or its the decoder in your application.

Try the MP3's. Then check the gain in VDJ.

Suggestion to Try to play the VOBs with VLC. Its free and a great application to have on MAC os.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

If they sound great with VLC, then it may be an issue with VDJ?

When you say the wave form is chopped, it sounds like the sound file may be crappy.

If you care to post a link to one of your VOB's? Ill test here on my PC and on my MAC when I get home...

Lastly you should be able to demux the VOB's audio stream out to a mp3 and play it. You should be able to use Steamclip http://www.squared5.com to demux the audio.

Its FREE too..

Hope this info helps you !

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 6:23 pm
Lastlly, have no fear. Dont give up Willy.. You get your rig setup going :) Were here to help.

PS post some pics of your setup!

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 6:25 pm
i don't know how i would post the VOB to you? using send space?

I will try other avenues before i try posting the VOB to you.. but i do appreciate your help!!!! alot !!! and will definately post pictures of the setup when it is complete....

DJ booth is 1 story above club looking down....will have 2 monitors hanging from the ceiling in front of me.. one for serato and one for virtual dj..... then 2pioneer CDJ's a rane Mixer.... and of coarse the MAC PRO at my feet.

gunna be a month or so before im all done....

Posted Fri 25 May 07 @ 8:07 pm
ok i figured out what's going on with the sound issues... kinda... it seems that when i ripped my promo only dvd's (with mac the ripper then converted to mpeg with visual hub) some of the songs distort.... they are fine when played on a regular dvd player... but when i play them through Virtual Vinyl /Numark cue /VDJ the sound distorts.... also distorts when i play through VLC and quicktime. so it's got to be something that's happening during the ripping process....

i tried playing mp3's through the vdj software and had no sound problems.... the problem must be with mac the ripper visual hub.

i'm wondering if there is some way to adjust volumes while ripping....

on a side note... also noticed that some of the videos display faint white virtical bars... mostly visible when the video has alot of dark colors or black areas.... this is visible on my monitors as well as the projectors and TV's at the club.

my main concern now is weeding through the 200 plus videos i have already imported... finding the ones that distort... and figuring out how to reimport without distortion.

your thoughts? better yet.. your experience and expert advice?

Posted Tue 29 May 07 @ 6:54 pm
^ Are you converting the videos or just separating the chapters into individual files? As to my knowledge...The Beta version of Mac the Ripper (3) can do both at one time. It can rip and separate the chapters. I personally have all my videos already ripped to my computer, but I'm in the process of separating them (500+ gigs takes quite some time). I use a program called Cinematize which will just separate the files and leave them at top quality.

Posted Tue 29 May 07 @ 11:37 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
gowilly20 wrote :
ok i figured out what's going on with the sound issues... kinda... it seems that when i ripped my promo only dvd's (with mac the ripper then converted to mpeg with visual hub) some of the songs distort.... they are fine when played on a regular dvd player... but when i play them through Virtual Vinyl /Numark cue /VDJ the sound distorts.... also distorts when i play through VLC and quicktime. so it's got to be something that's happening during the ripping process....

i tried playing mp3's through the vdj software and had no sound problems.... the problem must be with mac the ripper visual hub.

i'm wondering if there is some way to adjust volumes while ripping....

on a side note... also noticed that some of the videos display faint white virtical bars... mostly visible when the video has alot of dark colors or black areas.... this is visible on my monitors as well as the projectors and TV's at the club.

my main concern now is weeding through the 200 plus videos i have already imported... finding the ones that distort... and figuring out how to reimport without distortion.

your thoughts? better yet.. your experience and expert advice?

I think I know what's happening...It's your Core Audio driver which has the volume cranked up to high...
This happend to me when I used my Digi002 to record in ProTools and later play it back via iTunes/Quicktime.
I couldn't get my head around why a fresh recording which didn't distort when recording all of a sudden would distort when playing through another application.
Go into your Core Audio Preferences and lower the volume just a tad...(you can do this while playing a video in Quicktime to hear the change in realtime)
I think this probably would help you out...

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 12:25 am
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
^ Are you converting the videos or just separating the chapters into individual files? As to my knowledge...The Beta version of Mac the Ripper (3) can do both at one time. It can rip and separate the chapters. I personally have all my videos already ripped to my computer, but I'm in the process of separating them (500+ gigs takes quite some time). I use a program called Cinematize which will just separate the files and leave them at top quality.

i'm just using mac the ripper to separate chapters and rip them to the computer because i don't want to import the entire dvd.

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 3:28 pm
How do i access the core audio preferences ?

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 3:32 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
look in the utitilies folder on your mac for audio and midi settings

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 4:08 pm
ok great... once ive lowered the db levels in core audio, does this mean i will have to re import all of my dvd's? or at least the bad ones?

Posted Wed 30 May 07 @ 8:50 pm
no no, you don't have to do anything...it should work straight away. I videos are probably ripped correctly, and the Core Audio volume only affects output, not input.
Usually, you experience distortion because most ripping software rip at the maxium level possible, while the Core Audio is set to compensate for whatever file type you play on your MAC.(iTunes, streaming internett etc)

Posted Thu 31 May 07 @ 2:56 am
yeah i checked the core audio and there were no adjustments for output....

I also loooked at all the preferences on MAC THE RIPPER (my ripping program) there was nothing to adjust in regards to sound. i haven't yet checked the preferences in VISUAL HUB, the program i use to convert VOB's to MPEGs

When i play the VOB's created with MAC THE RIPPER, the sound distorts...

When i play the same song converted to MPEG from that VOB with VISUAL HUB, the sound distorts.

When i play either file outside of VDJ... the sound distorts....

When i play the promo only dvd... the sound is fine.

Posted Thu 31 May 07 @ 8:58 pm
hm..that's stranges..there should definitley be a volume control in the Core Audio settings...
But based on what you are explaining it might just be that it is the ripping or converting that's wrong...
Why don't you try another software and see if it still distorts??

Posted Fri 01 Jun 07 @ 12:15 am
I experimented some more with my VOB files... and it seems they have better sound than i thought.... i belive the distortion comes in somehow when i convert the VOB to MPEG (need to do this becuase artifacts appear if use the VOB file)

There are some sound settings in visual hub and ive converted a batch of 50 songs last night using a standard of 48000 hz and 320 kbps... rather than the default in the program (which seemed to create the distortion) hopefully these files will sound good at a high volume... if so... i can then go back and adjust the other 200 plus songs.

Posted Fri 01 Jun 07 @ 4:18 pm
willkPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As far as the ripping goes , try Xilisoft dvd ripper for mac. I use the pc version and have never had any issues. It lets you save in about 30 different formats , and lets you choose how you save your final audio output, ac3 or mp2 , which helps greatly. Theres a free demo version available here.. http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-ripper-mac.html and the full version is only about $45. Hope this helps someone...Cheers!

Posted Wed 04 Jul 07 @ 8:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)