Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Weeeeeeee : ) Total Control - Page: 8

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Finally..... finally... I am a licensed user... ...and hey, I rather like this controller. :)

Posted Mon 04 Jun 07 @ 7:13 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
welcome. cheers:)))

Posted Mon 04 Jun 07 @ 9:13 pm
First impressions. I knew going into this, as I am not a "buy and then find out" kind of guy, I researched this thing thoroughly before buying... that it was going to have a plastic housing. I'd have liked it better for feel, if it was a nice metal enclosure, like you'd see with a regular mixer, and I can't imagine it would have cost much more. On the otherhand, I think part of the design concept was "light weight and portable". One of these days, they will realize that we are only concerned about weight when it comes to subwoofers and amps, primarily...LOL.

Anyway, aside from the fact that is has a plastic housing, it seems well built. The silver knobs seem to be plastic, and I think the black knobs are plastic as well, but they almost feel like rubber.. I did say almost. The wheels are definitely a nice rubber, and feel quite solid and nice. The faders are not the best, but they are okay.

I like the light up buttons. I like others, would like a few other mappable buttons, but then again, I don't know what I would trade? I guess what would be nice, is to have like maybe 3 extra buttons, just for assigning, but where I'd put them, I don't know. I guess you'd have to make it a little bigger, which I would not necessarily be opposed to. Once again, DJ's I think are primarily concerned about size when it comes to speakers, not mixers.

It is certainly leagues better I would think that the MKII. I don't feel like I am going to accidentally hit the jog/scratch wheel, or push a button. Buttons are not hard to push, but not easy enough to brush and have it activate.

Also, I like that the layout really reflects the VDJ/Cue skin.

I'd certainly rather have a Vestax VCI-100, and there are probably other better midi mixers, but for the price, it's probably the best option, atleast for me. I wouldn't want to touch a Behringer BCD2000/3000 or a Hercules MKII, after this, but that is my own opinion, and certainly not meant to knock those who own the others mentioned.

Posted Mon 04 Jun 07 @ 11:25 pm
Yessssss I have mine....:) #1 Total control of Numark

Posted Tue 05 Jun 07 @ 8:40 pm
Wow. I guess im kinda in the minority here. Mines going back tomorrow. It syncs good with VV (VDJ) but I'm going to get the Nou 4 and map it myself. If anyone is having a problem getting one and wants mine I'll ship it to you but you got to pay what I did as I'm getting a full refund. PM me.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 2:03 am
Mine is coming tomorrow..................yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, I found a site that has them in stock, about 5 of them.

http://store.djhardwares.com/nutocodjsoco.html

ask for Abby, (888)590-2203

Peace !!!

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 2:06 am
gulkerPRO InfinityMember since 2006
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
Wow. I guess im kinda in the minority here. Mines going back tomorrow. It syncs good with VV (VDJ) but I'm going to get the Nou 4 and map it myself. If anyone is having a problem getting one and wants mine I'll ship it to you but you got to pay what I did as I'm getting a full refund. PM me.

No my friend you are not alone. I got mine about 2 weeks ago, and sent it back the next day for a full refund. Yes it is an upgrade if you use Hercules, but I don't consider it for a pro performance. I have bought, used and sold many different controllers. My business partner started it all with Hercules. I had DAC-2 (still use it), DAC-3 and infamous iCDX. I'll tell you one thing tho, so far for pro look and feel, nothing comes close to DAC-2. It would be too long of a post if I start comparing them. One thing I want to say about new Numark stuff that started coming out to the market is that they all look and feel like toys (I have not seen the DMC-2 so my comment does not apply to it). I got iCDXs and had to use them and had to sell them for emergency cash (thank god for that crisis I got rid of them) they had the same problem. Flimsy faders, plastic casing, toy feeling. Not to mention the performance they lack, such as the responsiveness of the buttons, platters etc.

Well, all these comments of course are purely based on my personal opinion, by making them I mean no disrespect to anybody's views on these controllers. But like in the case of iCDXs for instance, when you pay about $700 for a player controller, you expect to have a device at pro-level standarts.

Numark Total Control is not up to the level I would like to see. I mean, you have a controller that does not have a pitch adjust buttons? It controls the internal mixer, but no headphone jack?

I am sure none of the Virtual Turntablists reading this post but, I say this controller does nothing like a record can do for the scratch artist.

Recently I bought a new equipment (which is not a software controller but a very well thought hybrid player) called Denon HD-2500, which feels like playing a record with its touch sensitive platter/wheel. It does a pretty good job for scratching. I used the time coded CD's tracks to control my Virtual DJ.

Other than that I am sticking with my DAC-2 until something better comes along.

Peace,

Keep the Music live!!!

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 3:20 pm
gulker wrote :

Peace,

Keep the Music live!!!

I use a DAC2 as well - It is a very reliable piece of gear. I do want to upgrade to the DMC2 but I am waiting a couple of months for stores to have a good level of stock and for the CAD $$ to continue it's upward climb to parity with the USD. Which should be around christmas according to BAY street.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 3:31 pm
gulker wrote :
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :

No my friend you are not alone. I got mine about 2 weeks ago, and sent it back the next day for a full refund. Yes it is an upgrade if you use Hercules, but I don't consider it for a pro performance. I have bought, used and sold many different controllers. My business partner started it all with Hercules. I had DAC-2 (still use it), DAC-3 and infamous iCDX. I'll tell you one thing tho, so far for pro look and feel, nothing comes close to DAC-2. It would be too long of a post if I start comparing them. One thing I want to say about new Numark stuff that started coming out to the market is that they all look and feel like toys (I have not seen the DMC-2 so my comment does not apply to it). I got iCDXs and had to use them and had to sell them for emergency cash (thank god for that crisis I got rid of them) they had the same problem. Flimsy faders, plastic casing, toy feeling. Not to mention the performance they lack, such as the responsiveness of the buttons, platters etc.

Well, all these comments of course are purely based on my personal opinion, by making them I mean no disrespect to anybody's views on these controllers. But like in the case of iCDXs for instance, when you pay about $700 for a player controller, you expect to have a device at pro-level standarts.

Numark Total Control is not up to the level I would like to see. I mean, you have a controller that does not have a pitch adjust buttons? It controls the internal mixer, but no headphone jack?

I am sure none of the Virtual Turntablists reading this post but, I say this controller does nothing like a record can do for the scratch artist.

Recently I bought a new equipment (which is not a software controller but a very well thought hybrid player) called Denon HD-2500, which feels like playing a record with its touch sensitive platter/wheel. It does a pretty good job for scratching. I used the time coded CD's tracks to control my Virtual DJ.

Peace,

Keep the Music live!!!

Hi Gulker

I've got the NTC and DJC Mk2.
I actually got into DJing via VDJ and the Hercules Mk1, for me Djing (as a hobby initially) only became an option once these two were available otherwise the financial investment needed in traditional hardware would of been too great just for me to decide whether DJing was something i liked and/or was any good at.

I have only really have had exposure to the Mk1, Mk2 and NTC so i couldn't really comment in comparing then to 'traditional' decks.

Would you say that NTC actually impairs your ability to DJ and therfor impacts the quality of your set, or are you just saying that you don't find it as enjoyable to use as traditional hardware?

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 5:34 pm
digimixer wrote :

Would you say that NTC actually impairs your ability to DJ and therfor impacts the quality of your set, or are you just saying that you don't find it as enjoyable to use as traditional hardware?

Hi Digimixer,

As I stated earlier, my comments are based on my personal preferences and tastes. I guess, I'd have to give more details as to what I look for in an equipment. So I give you some highlights on which I based my evaluation of Numark Total Control. But before I do that, I have to state that any good DJ with good ear and sense of ryhtm can make a party happen with good selection of Music. What a DJ uses as media (digital, Record, CD etc. ) or hardware, I think, depends on his talent, his taste, and his personality. And as we all know, on this one there is no right or wrong of doing it in certain way so long as ultimate goal is reached: Make your crowd entertained!!!.
So from that perspective, I can't say that it impairs one's ability to DJ. But I evaluated the controller with following personal pereferences and some basic technical stuff in mind;

1 - NTC has volume/fader sliders, gain/volume/EQ knobs as you can see. If this controller is not combined with sound card (as in Hercules), and it needs an external mixer to use with and multi-channel sound card, what is the point of having them? One may argue about controlling the video transitions with cross fader. I cannot say anything about that. But to me putting rest of the sound controls is just cosmetics. If it is intended to give users more controls with the sound settings regardless of external mixer, then where is the headphone jack for cueing and listening?

2 - Well, you have bells and whistles for gain knobs, faders and etc, but you don't have pitch control buttons (+, - buttons to nudge or adjust the pitch). How is that possible for a pro-level controller? Since it does not have the adjust buttons, you have to rely on the jogwheel to make your adjustments if I remember it correctly. This was the second biggest reason for me.

3 - In general the mechanical workings and feeling of the buttons, faders, jog-wheel, and knobs were the first reason. It is hard to explain this one, and a lot of people can say it is a personal choice. I don't know how to put it. Take a traditional player such as Denon, Pioneer, Numark players, single or tabletop, or Turntables. When you press the buttons, especially, pause, play, cue, etc. you know their response. You've got that mechanical response that leaves no doubt that you have just put a cue point, or pause the song, or start playing. Latest Numark equipment (iCDX and NTC) lacks that responsiveness and feeling. To me it is not just a feeling or personal taste I must admit. It is essential. Take DAC-2 and DAC-3 as an example. DAC-3 has this mushy rubbery button that does not respond as clear as the one in DAC-2. When you use those kind of plastic, toy-feeling buttons, you are never sure that when you press it is going to respond instantly. Hercules had the same problem. Some guys may argue it is because of the latency settings of the sound card. Based on my experience, it is the mechanics of the buttons that they use on these controllers. I really don't want to go into the faders and knobs and how they respond, or how limited with their slide or turn range. But overall, NTC does not give me the pro-level feel and responsiveness that I've expect.
Seriously take away the volume faders/EQ knobs (which are useless) it is not much of a controller. Take the maps and other controllers into account when you make the comparison

I have to say one thing extra about the NTC is that you can control the parameters of the effects and samples. I don't know if that makes any difference.

I might have sounded little harsh, but when there is a chance to spend $300 or $400, I'd spend little more to get a DAC-2 (if any good, DMC-2 as Marcel stated) instead.

DJ Palamuth,

Keep music Live!!!

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 7:06 pm
I think you have some good points, and you are quite fair about it being a matter of taste.

My opinion, is that it is a good controller for it's price, but once again, it depends a great deal on your mixing style and who you are playing to. If I intended to do any heavy scratching, I would not even bother.... but I don't intend to do any heavy scratching, so that's not a problem. I never liked using the pitch bend buttons, I'm more comfortable with a job wheel, but I can see if it was the other way around, and if there was no jog wheel, and instead pitch bend buttons, it would be discouraging to me, because of my preferences. There are other reasons why this controller will work well for me, but the short of it, is that it works well with my mixing style, and my budget.

As controllers that meet my needs get better, and if my budget gets a little bigger over time, I may move to something better, but it's a nice controller for it's price.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 7:52 pm
Gulker

Thanks for your reply, hope you didnt think i was being judgemental of your comments, i was just curious how you felt about it.

We can as im sure you are aware remap buttons, knobs to other functions on the NTC (possibly map the effect or sample buttons to pitch + or -

..but i guess if you are saying the overall build quality just isn't to your liking then these endevours won't persuade you to use the NTC

I agree with the lack of headphone socket, quite a major oversight !
In my situation, using the Mk2 as a soundcard gets round that problem fairly comfortably.

Personally i quike like it, but as my background only features the Mk1 & Mk2, i'm probably not the best person to past judgement on it !

Thanks for your opinions, noted & respected.

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 9:34 pm
(Hi all, been reading this with interest...)

Tell you what, if you ever wanted an example of how to make a make a few critercisms, but while being polite and taking into concideration that other people have different tastes...

10/10 for the fair review category for gulker. Definately some interesting points, but all said without upsetting anybody or getting into an argument! Amazing!

Posted Wed 06 Jun 07 @ 9:55 pm
I find it interesting there is so much fuss about the lack of headphone jack. It was not an oversight, this controller is a midi controller only, not a sound card, so it does not have a headphone jack. You get a good 4 channel output sound card of your own, and you use two channels (stereo) for preview, and the preview controls are on the NTC for ease of use.

The Vestax VCI-100 to my knowledge does not have a headphone jack either. The Dac units do not have headphone jacks that I am aware of. The DMC2 does not have a headphone jack. I don't hear people saying it was an oversight for any of these other units to not have a headphone jack??

I think the MKII and BCD2000 have gotten everyone into the habit of thinking that every midi controller that happens to have a crossfader should also have a headphone jack. If you want a headphone jack, you need to also have a built in sound card, and you'd better hope that is a good sound card, because then you are stuck with it. If the sound card happens to be a USB bus hogging monster, (BCD2000) then you are not going to like it.

The Vestax VCI-100, Numark Total Control, and other products of a similiar nature are midi of HID controllers without built in sound cards. The big plus for that, is that they will not hog the bandwidth, and you can get as good of a sound card as you want to pair with it. If a better sound card comes out next year, you can upgrade, and still use your favorite controller. The only way to get a straight midi controller without a built in sound card, to have a headphone jack, is to have a 1/8" stereo in jack, so you could run a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable from your laptop's sound card to the 1/8" input on whatever midi controller, and then plug your headphones in from there. But that would be kind of pointless.

The moral of the story, is that you do not need a headphone jack for the NTC, you get a good quality sound card with atleast 4 outputs (2 stereo outputs), and assign two channels for master out, the other two for preview, and plug in accordingly. If you really want a NTC with a headphone jack, tell Numark all about it until they release a new NTC with a built in sound card, and then you can deal with the headaches that will cause.

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 6:36 pm
Also, I'd like to comment on the other topic going on here.

What it comes down to, is to really take advantage of Virtual DJ, we need an external controller, unless you are really good with keyboard combinations. I'm not. For the price range, I prefer the NTC the best. If I had $500 to spend, I'd be getting myself a nice VCI-100. If I had $600 or more, I'd be taking a really good look at the new Torq controller, and reading threads about how to get that to work with VDJ. If I preferred rack mount controllers where I could use a standard mixer, I wouldn't be looking at NTC or VCI-100, or the Xponent thing at all, I'd be looking at DAC3, DMC2, and so forth, to find the best one I could find for my budget. If I was used to high end gear, I probably would not be impressed by the NTC either.

The Numark Total Control is not going to hinder a person's development as a DJ, but it might not be enough for some people. If you are wanting to become a serious scratching DJ, this is definitely not the way to go. If you have tabletop midi mixers, and would rather have something rackmounted, this is definitely not the way to go. If you hate plastic housings on DJ gear, once again, not the way to go.

For my needs, the NTC is a great controller. It is not everything I could possibly ever dream of, but I knew that when I bought it. It's a heaven compared to using the mouse and keyboard though, and adds a lot of flexibility a keyboard and mouse do not have. The layout is better than the MKII, and there are not the hassles of hardware conflicts that was seen with the BCD2000. So for me, it's the best choice.

As another poster/reviewer commented, it's about your mixing style. Didn't work for him, works for me though. Who it will work for depends, as he also said, upon your mixing style, preferences, budget, and so forth, so do your homework friends :)

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 6:52 pm
Well said Sleeperawaken, and I totally agrree on one simple thing, you know how they say, whatever floats your boat. So if anbody is comfortable to use anything to make his work easier and enjoyable, that is the best equipment. Hey I saw something on the forum about a home made midi controller. To me or to you this controller is meaningles, ugly maybe (I really don't think that way, I'm using as an example :) ) but to the owner of that equipment, this controller is the best. And that's the end of it.

I probably want to clear something about the phone jack comment. I purely had one simple think in mind. I am an engineer so I can't help to think one when I evaluate. Yes you don't need a phone jack, it is not a must for the controller (look at my DAC-2). You also need all those volume faders, EQ knobs since it is not a sound card. Do you see what I am getting at. If you can, as an pro-equipment manufacturer, spend the same money on better buttons, better mechanism, better electronics without those extra faders and knobs (since you'd have to use a additonal sound card and external mixer), why not to build a better controller with the same money. That is a trade off any company needs to decide. Functional equipment better quality, or more stuff with less quality??? Especially if the stuff is really redundant.

I was with a Regional Product manager of the major vendor yesterday discussing what can be done with their product that they put on the market ( no names I don't want to advertise any company, even they are not a competitor of VDJ, and especially if I am not working for them, hehehehe). I am their customer but also their beta tester and we discussed the similar things with him. Their idea is that, equipment should be at a minimum performance level with all the essential's first. Then, they look at adding components as they go along. While doing that they do not compromise the quality of the component. They use their regular best and see what the cost is, and decide whether to put it or not.
Well, end product is something that has the best components on it. It may not have the Z or X component. But, their philosophy, if we put that Z component, it cannot be cheap substitute. So if it is a play button, gotta be the best play button, fader so gotta be the best fader. Numark has the technology that can put better buttons for the necessary functions. You don't need a gain knob, volume fader, etc. since it is not a sound card. I say that with all the positivity in mind. I am not bashing the company. I'd prefer that they make their product with the best component possible so I can use.

I cannot wait for the DMC2 to come out so I can test it. But if the buttons, faders, and jogwheels are anything less then what they use on their CD players (responses, mechanics, etc), I would not bother. So I can go with smaller LCD with the pro-components than the bigger LCD with plastic fader/knobs.

That was the point I tried to make.

Hehehehe, I think we weered off the topic, I am afraid Mods are going to ban me for life. Sorry, it was interesting to share ideas. I enjoyed it, that's why I kept going on.

Cheers fellas,

Posted Thu 07 Jun 07 @ 8:47 pm
trez777Home userMember since 2006
Hi all. To all those who purchased NTC already - can anyone provide the dimension of the NTC box? i am particularly interested on the actual numark box dimension and not the shipping box that was used by the online retailer when it was shipped. thanks!

Posted Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 5:07 pm
Finally I got My NTC.............it looks and feels a lot better than I imagine. I find the delay in the screen about the faders and controllers someone mention in this forum earlier, totaly pointless of metion it, it works great, jusy plug and play and you are ready to roll.

It is small enough to have it fit on my set up bag, with slight modification, so everything will be flush mounted, I will send you pics next week as I will be working on it this week, if I have them earlier i will post them then.

I just haven't made up my mind about using the external mixer to control phones volume or do a little trick Paul told me to do with cheap amplified pc speakers, but definetly I have to have it finish by friday, because I hava a major gig on Saturday and I wanna use it in my set up.

Peace !!!!!

Posted Mon 11 Jun 07 @ 11:17 pm
MUSIKGUATE wrote :
Finally I got My NTC.............it looks and feels a lot better than I imagine. I find the delay in the screen about the faders and controllers someone mention in this forum earlier, totaly pointless of metion it, it works great, jusy plug and play and you are ready to roll.

It is small enough to have it fit on my set up bag, with slight modification, so everything will be flush mounted, I will send you pics next week as I will be working on it this week, if I have them earlier i will post them then.

I just haven't made up my mind about using the external mixer to control phones volume or do a little trick Paul told me to do with cheap amplified pc speakers, but definetly I have to have it finish by friday, because I hava a major gig on Saturday and I wanna use it in my set up.

Peace !!!!!

Hi MUSIKGUATE;

Congratulations and Good luck.

Warning!!
I kept inadvertently leaning on the low know causing it to cut the low end out. The knobs push down very easily.
Also be sure to keep the scratch off if your not using it. The jogs spin like a top. Other than that I love this thing.

Posted Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 6:06 am
Yeah... love mine too.
Still have an affection for my Mk2, but the NTC out classes it looks and function (disregarding the sound card element)

I've yet to use it at a gig, but will be on the 16th June.

NTC: By no means perfection, but a huge step in the right direction. (IMO)

Posted Tue 12 Jun 07 @ 10:58 am
86%