Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 2 Operating Systems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a new HP laptop, which i'd like to use for VDJ and general use.

I've been advised that having 2 operating systems would be a good way to do this. Having one fully featured for general use, and one stripped of uneccessary features and services for VDJ.

I'm running Vista 32b Premium, but my laptop didn't come with a Vista disc, Just an HP partion which allows me to recover to factory settings.

I have a product key for my copy of Vista, so is there a way i can do this, or do i have to have a dedicated Vista disc?

Gary

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 8:23 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You need to determine if the recovery partition contains just recovery files or a disk ISO, meaning a copy of the disk on the hard drive. The latter is easy, but if they just recovery files, then you will need a disk

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 9:07 pm
No disc image. I'm not having the best of weeks, believe me! lol

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 9:55 pm
Ok, i'm going to have to stick with 1 OS at the moment, as i can't afford to buy another just yet.

Would using 2 different user accounts, 1 for VDJ and 1 for general use have any advantages?

Gary

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:32 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
have a read of my blog i wrote a guide to make one acount set to run only vdj and the nessary drivers

and one for general use.

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:33 pm
Ok, Mr SkyFxl :) , that sounds like a reasonable alternative :) I will go and investigate into your blogdom :)

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:40 pm
skyfxl wrote :
have a read of my blog i wrote a guide to make one acount set to run only vdj and the nessary drivers

and one for general use.

I've just had a look at your blog, i'm guessing the bit i need is 'Virtual Dj Speed boot - Run Vdj only and reduce the number of Startup processes and services for best proformance'

Before i start, is this going to work ok with my Vista, as all the examples seem to be in XP.

I'm starting fresh with a clean Vista install, so i assume i create two accounts (admin level) and do all the tweaks in one account for VDJ and use the other how i want.

Am i understanding this right?

Gary

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:16 am
yes the same applies to vista ,

il talk you through it on msn tomorrow if you like?

some changes can be confusing

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:21 am
Cheers mate, i'll leave it for tonight then.

Vista is freshly installed. Shall i do all mw windows updates now, or should i leave that till i've made the changes tomorrow?

Gary

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:26 am
run the updates should ensure its fully stable :)

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:29 am
Ok will do. I'll try and find you online tomorrow then. Thanks mate.

Ps, i managed to get my music playing back on highest performance setting and videos on 1 below highest.
There was a driver from my previous creative soundcard that was conflicting somehow, so i did manage to get better performance and less snap crackle and pop :)

Speak to you tomorrow :)

Gary

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)