Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Vista issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I installed vista, working fine except it won't let me keep the drivers I want. Evrytime I reboot it re-installs the driver it thinks is best. What the bamba clot?
Let me elaborate. I installed my old graphics card driver(xp) cause the one vista installs only goes upto 1024x768. Problem is my laptop's res. is 1280x800, so it's blurry. When I manually install my old driver it works fine on 1280x800(picture is perfect) as long as I don't reboot. Once I reboot, it'll automatically update the driver to the latest which I don't want. Anyone know of a way to stop this. I've been googling, i'm not the only one with a similar problem with Vista & drivers.
Skyfxl, here we go.

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 7:47 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
let me get this straight you are trying to install xp drivers on a vista machine, and you are wondering why they don't work? I'd be going to the graphics card makers site and checking for a vista driver or the laptop makers site and doing the same.

If you don't want auto update on then turn it off

Go into the Control Panel, Double Click on Automatic Updates, and uncheck the box that says "keep my computer up to date..."

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 8:00 pm
C'mon this is not what it's about.
I did all that, it's not about installing an xp driver, It's about vista installing the drivers it wants, isn't there a way to stop it. Like a service that can be turned off or something.
It also happens if I install a slightly older vista driver, it'll automatically install what it thinks is best.
It's not about Automatic updates. It happens even if there's no access to the internet.
Do you honestly think I don't know about automatic updates? Read the first post.

Basically my problem is that Vista won't ask for my consent when installing new drivers, it does it automatically upon rebooting. Somehow it's a good thing but in a way it's kind of annoying.

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 8:08 pm
Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Windows Update Driver Settings button >

did you try that?

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 8:31 pm
No, I'll try when I get home, I'm still @ work. Don't think so though. There're numerous posts about this problem on google. Thanks.

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 8:43 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Start > Run > cmd > format C: > Y > Reboot > Install Windows XP

Worked for me :D

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 9:02 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
LOL that's a good one!
Anyway, Vista does have problems with drivers as XP once did, manufacturers are to blame for this.
And yes, some of XP drivers can be used on Vista ;)

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 9:08 pm
Man, I can't go back to XP. I've already corrupted my head. It'd be like going back to VDJ 3.4. Can you imagine? Trust me I'll find a way. I just need time alone with her.

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 9:40 pm
why would ask a question you already knew the answer too?

Posted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:06 pm
What answer? What's your problem man? & just to let you know, your solution didn't work it only applies to windows update.

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 12:35 am

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 4:11 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Mantahoe wrote :
What answer? What's your problem man? & just to let you know, your solution didn't work it only applies to windows update.

A little respect man, we are trying to help ya. And you expect help and you didn't even write down which Video card you have ;)
Anyways, give me exactly your Laptop/PC model and I will try to find the best driver on the Internet for you.
Regards

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 9:32 am
About the respect thing, i'm just gonna keep quiet.
Why would you ask a question you already have an answer to? <Does that seem fine Alf?
But you know what maybe it's cause of the way I had my topic posted. Vista shit. It was changed to Vista issue. That I apologise for. Anyway,

I changed the info on the XP drivers & made Vista think they're the latest drivers so they work. Anyway here's the video card type. If you find vista drivers for that card, you are a genius or maybe you made them. Cheap Intel/intergrated card. IntelĀ® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller Family.
The laptop is a Gateway 7330gz <That's the one with the driver problem.

I also can't find the vista audio drivers for this same laptop. Conexant AC97.

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 3:39 pm

Posted Tue 08 May 07 @ 5:23 pm
Very nice list of drivers. I've saved it for future use.
I opened the old xp driver with notepad, erased one letter, saved it, put the letter back in & saved it. Now it says modified on 5/08/07. Fooled Vista. It thinks this is the latest driver. In a way I can claim i'm smatter than Bill Gates. :D

Posted Wed 09 May 07 @ 4:53 pm
VDJ works very well with Vista on my end. TCV use for hours with cpu usage hardly hitting 20%.
New install & I didn't even touch the performance configurations in VDJ. I'm using the SL1 box & all I changed was auto on the buffer setting. It played very very very very well. Good Job Team.

Posted Tue 22 May 07 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)