Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Can't use 2nd port with DM950USB (or using 2 identical USB soundcards)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to report something odd when using VDJ Mac with the Numark DM950USB. This is a simple analog DJ mixer that has 2 usb ports acting as individual sound cards. The problem seems to reside in the fact that both ports have the exact same name ("USB Audio CODEC") and USB caracteristics (same device ID, same everything). This means that while I can see, select and use each port in the OS X Sound Control Panel, only one shows up in VDJ's soundcard selection dropdown menu. This prevents me from using the console properly with VDJ Mac, since this console requires a 2 soundcards setting. I suspect it has something to do with how VDJ list device names in it's dropdown, not allowing the same device name twice.

While it's still a pain to figure out each time by trial and error which "USB Audio CODEC" is port 1 or 2, it would still be nice to use it with VDJ Mac without using Soundflower, Jack or other thirdp-party multichanel audio layer. I have not tested it with VDJ PC yet, but will do so later this week and will post back my results.

In the meantime, can anyone test 2 identical USB soundcards with VDJ Mac in a 2 soundcards setup? This would rule out a bunch of potential causes for this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Sun 22 Apr 07 @ 12:54 am
FYI, I have even tried to "aggregate" the 2 USB sound devices of the DM950USB into one "aggregated device", and while it works perfectly in Traktor 3, VirtualDJ doesn't seem to take it at all. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think that it supports aggregated devices at all. Can a developer shed some light on this please?

Link to the "aggregation" procedure, as recommended by Apple:
http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/aggregateaudio/

Posted Sun 22 Apr 07 @ 4:10 am
krxznHome userMember since 2007
This is a bit of a hack, but it works for me:

I had the same problem with the two identical 'USB Audio CODEC's. But after I installed a the trial version of Tractor 3.2 (availabel at NI's site) that installer seems to have aggregated the DM950's soundcards. In VDJ i choose 'USB Audio CODEC' as my one card and 'USB Audio CODEC (Aggregated)' as the other, and that works.

Surely weird that the 'Aggregated' sound card actually isn't really aggregated - if it were I would expect me to choose that as my single soundcard and have the option of 2 stereo outs thorugh that.

Al it gave me was at least two different names to choose for my soundcard in VDJ.

(I use VDJ 4.3, Mac OS X 10.4.9 on an iMac G5 PowerPc)

Posted Thu 04 Oct 07 @ 10:30 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
krzyn do register ur serial at ur modify page ....don't u know the upgrade are coming:)

Posted Thu 04 Oct 07 @ 10:32 pm
AtheeHome userMember since 2008
@psychosonique2
How did you setup in the preference for Traktor 3? I can't manage to put the Numark DM 950 USB in the external mixer mode (it won't play the track). I made 4 audio outputs with the Audio Midi Setup utility.

Thanks for helping me, I would like to have Track A on the left of my mixer and Track B on the right of my mixer.

Posted Tue 06 May 08 @ 6:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)