Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm Confused

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK, so I hear about Numark's Virtual Vinyl program (apparently not out yet).......numark's websight doesn't say mac compatible, they do say Cue is now available for mac users.....

I click on a link and come to Virtual DJ websight.

???

Is Virtual DJ the same as Cue?

Is Virtual Vinyl the same as Cue with Timecode support?

Is this the same kind of situation as Serato making software for Rane, and Native Instruments making the software for Stanton's Final Scratch?

BTW, I'm an unhappy registered FinalScratch 2 user. Not because it doesn't work, but because there was never a software update since April 2005 or so or any improvements made. I paid extra for the full Version of Traktor 3 and now because of whatever disagreements the 2 companies made, I can no longer get updates of Traktor 3 as of January 2007 if I want it to work with my FinalScratch 2 hardware.

So, I plan on switching soon.
I've been planning on adding karaoke to my DJ business. I already bought a program called kJams (formerly kTunes), but I starting thinking about the possible dangers of running 2 programs at the same time on 1 laptop. So I was looking at Numark's Virtual Vinyl and then magically ended up on this websight.

I've looked at Serato Scratch Live (kind of expensive, used worldwide by some of the most famous DJ's and has a solid reputation). It doesn't have video support yet, they are apparently working on it. No official word on when or if it will include karaoke video too. I've also heard a rumor that it will only work with their super expensive $1000 mixer. (it's a rumor, so I don't know)

I've looked at Torq. Very affordable, tons of features, but almost too many. I haven't heard anything about video support. I have heard that the program is very busy and takes up a ton of resources on the computer. Apparently Has trouble on older machines.

Then there's Traktor Scratch. Not out yet for another month. No word on video support. But because I feel like I've been screwed by Native Instruments, I'm not totally ready to give them more of my money.

So, what's your guy's (or gal's) recommendations for a DJ that loves the vinyl experience, but wants to add karaoke to his rig too?

Posted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 4:05 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First of all, welcome to Virtual DJ! Good to have you with us.

To cut a long post very short, Virtual DJ and Cue are the same software, made by the same company, but branded differently by Numark. I'm not sure what the exact technicalities are, but in a nutshell, Atomix make the software. Virtual DJ is here and Cue is over there. Try downloading a trial version of both programs, you'll see that they're identical.

Onto your main question. Virtual DJ can do audio, video and karaoke all rolled into one. It's a bumper piece of software and, providing you have a good enough dedicated computer to run it on, will be a dream to work with.

You can hook up your TT's to the program and mix, scratch and all that other turntablist stuff with VDJ using timecoded vinyls. Karaoke tracks are just saved on your hard drive, so I'm pretty sure you could scratch with even them if you wanted to! (Ok, you probably wouldn't, but still, you get the picture...(",)

Recommendations:

Have a good machine. See the minimum/recommended specs here. If you can, go even better than the recommended specs, as the software is coming on in leaps and bounds just now and no doubt future developments will be more system hungry than they are now.

Try and have a machine that is dedicated to the program. IE, don't use your home pc for spinning with. Trust me, this'll cause you nothing but problems. A nice clean machine that doesn't have internet on it will do you many favours over the coming times.

Apart from a good machine, there aren't really too many more recommendations I can make i'm afraid.

I would suggest playing with the software for the 20 days (or even 40 if you download CUE demo after 20!) to get a feel for it. Once you know the software you're off, and then there'll be no stopping you!

Hope to see you as a full user soon.

Keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:55 am
Min specs are only PC.

I know a mac version is made now.

I have a G4 Powerbook 1.67 MHz with 2GB RAM

Posted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 9:47 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
do you have os x 1.4.9?

Posted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 10:48 pm
10.4.9 missed the 0 sky ;)

Posted Fri 20 Apr 07 @ 11:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)