Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: laptop??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cmoriceHome userMember since 2007
i know this has probably been asked hundreds of times but
can you use V.D.J with turn tables on a laptop?
if so how do you hook up the ground wire since
the laptop isnt conected to the wall
thanks to anyone that helps me out with this !

Posted Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 11:17 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
The Laptop should be connected to the wall, with a power cable. Unless I'm mistaken you leave the ground wire connected to the mixer.

Posted Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 11:25 pm
the power suplly for the laptop isnt grounded since it only has hot and neutral prongs buts doesn't have a ground prong ?!?!?!??
is that right ?

Posted Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 11:33 pm
Every laptop power cord I have seen/used has a thrre prong male conector for inserting into the wall.

Posted Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 11:44 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
Every laptop power cord I have seen/used has a thrre prong male conector for inserting into the wall.

i have a dell and a hp both only two prongs.. desktops are usually three prongs though.

you need to hook the ground wire to a screw on the laptop then ground to the mixer

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 12:22 am
Both of my laptops are three prong (hot, neutral and, ground) cables. i just went and double checked My laptops are Gateway and Panasonic(toughbook)

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 12:33 am
ya, mine is a dell so i dont know if it will work but i think it will
has any one used a dell for V.D.J befor?

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 7:27 am
most devices of any kind are 3 prong ......my lappy is 3 prong ........i have seen mixers w/ grounds for the tt's built in where you can plug in a tt and it's corresponding ground.....

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 8:56 am
my laptop is 2 prong so all i need to know befor buying the stuff
is if itl work

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 9:13 am
I have 9 laptops and 6 have 3 prong, 3 have 2 prong. variety of brands. MANY laptops are now made with only 2 prongs on the power supply

Rusty

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 9:51 am
It all depends what part of the world your from. I am from the UK and all our power cords are 3 prongs , Live Neutral Earth, they have to be be as all our power oulets are 3 pin. Laptops are double insulated so no earth is needed , so even if you have a 3 pin plug the earth is not necessarily connected to anywhere . As stated before a simple wire from the earth connection to any metal part of the laptop is normally enough to stop any humming , but in my set up ( External mixer , Gigaport ) i have the RCA cables from the soundcard going through 2 Ground loop isolators ( Channel 1 Channel 2 ) then to the mixer and this works perfectly , these are available from any electronic retailer for about £ 4 each.

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 7:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)