Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Fastest Possible Track Load Time... How?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'd like to know if there are some settings or optimizations that can help speed up the time it takes to buffer and load tracks. Because of a known bug that causes loading to restart sometimes when you play a track before it's fully loaded, I like the tracks to load before I use them, but sometimes this slows down my mixing, especially when doing mashups & speed mixes and such.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.9 GHz with tight memory settings, a 4 Disk RAID 5 hard drive array, and a powerful video card - a Radeon X1950 Pro. The computer is a fast machine, but I'm still disappointed in the load speeds of some songs.

Some tracks will load in a couple of seconds, and others take perhaps 20 or 30 seconds to load. Perhaps it's partly because some of my files are VOB videos, which are large, but I was wondering if the software itself limits load speed for some reason (i.e. to keep video playback smooth).

I know there is a registry option for SpeedLoad or something like that... I presume that enabling that (1) can speed up the track load times... but is there something else?

Posted Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 1:07 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You didn't tell us amount of your ram memory? And you should use 800Mhz DDR2 with your setup, 2Gb I recommend.
Tell us which video card you have?
The tracks load faster if they are allready scanned.
Try to fix your swap file in Windows (XP or Vista) on same values (put 1Gb).
Kill all the fancy stuff in Windows like looks (Aero in Vista) and if you can, the services you don't use.
Keep your OS on one HDD while load your media from another.
Kill your antivirus if you can or use NOD32 which is low on demanding machine.
Try to update the BIOS of your motherboard (if you know how, if not, leave it to professionals ;) ). Your CPU might perform a lot better after this since it is a new one.
Update system drivers if there is new ones.
That's it for now, if I think of something else will write it here.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 2:08 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
dont use USB or NAS drives. make sure your drive is atleast 7,200 rpm (better still 10 or 12K)

look for drives with a low seek time (<9ms) and high sustained data transfer (>50Mb/s is reasonable). native command queuing (NCQ) will also be beneficial if there is alot of competing data being read and writen at the same time you are trying to load a song (maybe loading 2 songs at once, recording the mix live back to the same drive etc etc). just for loading one song at a time it will have no advantage.

also concider using RAID mirroring to up to double the data transfer speed

regular defraging will optimise the data to be read at the fastest speed, some more advanced programs can allow you to prioritise the fastest sections of the disk to the folders and data that matter the most to you.

but on top of all this realise that you need to have a well maintained and setup computer to get the best performance and stability from VDJ.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 2:10 am
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Bah, I've done all that, pretty much. I do run aero, but it's disabled anyways when VDJ runs.

I've got 2GB of memory that is DDR2-800, and it actually RUNS at over 800 MHz, and it's a new, clean installation of Vista Ultimate. There shouldn't be a lot of fragmentation on the RAID array (which is very fast, given that it's 4 SATA2 drives... I think I benchmarked it at close to 100MB/s or something insanely fast once... it was close to the top of the reference drives/arrays in SiSoft SANDRA).

The OS and programs actually run on a separate disk, as well, (a single drive, non-raid).

Incidentally, the RAID controller is kind of a pig, and it's mostly software based, but that's only a factor for writing to the drive, during which it uses a lot of CPU.

The video card is a Radeon X1950 Pro. Plenty good enough for VDJ... that's a fairly high end gaming card, in my opinion, probably overkill for virtual DJ.

But yeah... I just don't get it. This system should scream, really... I remember the first few times I loaded tracks in virtual DJ and it took a few seconds, and now it's as slow as my old laptop at less than half the speed, using external USB drives.

I'd really love to know what's going on, and what could be done to fix this.

Posted Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 7:17 am
DJ-ALF wrote :
You didn't tell us amount of your ram memory? And you should use 800Mhz DDR2 with your setup, 2Gb I recommend.
Tell us which video card you have?
The tracks load faster if they are allready scanned.
Kill all the fancy stuff in Windows like looks (Aero in Vista) and if you can, the services you don't use.
Keep your OS on one HDD while load your media from another.
Kill your antivirus if you can or use NOD32 which is low on demanding machine.
Try to update the BIOS of your motherboard (if you know how, if not, leave it to professionals ;) ). Your CPU might perform a lot better after this since it is a new one.
Update system drivers if there is new ones.
That's it for now, if I think of something else will write it here.

What is this ??????????

Posted Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 11:11 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It is the virtual memory Windows use in lack of your ram memory. Put the same size for both values.
Right click on My Computer>Properties>Advance>Performance>Settings>Advance>Change Button>Custom Size and put the same values in both fields and push set and restart.

Posted Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 1:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)