Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Volume in Club

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Just wondering who decides how loud it should be in the club your playing at when theres no sound engineer. I'm playing tonight in a club which has now engineer so its all up to me and the other DJ. I've encountered this before plenty of times, I just wanna know what you guys think.

Rory

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 5:13 pm
Probably the owner or manager. Step out on the floor and ask the crowd or bartender in charge.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 5:19 pm
Agreed, if possible- step out on the floor and do a quick pass through and / or ask one of the managers to do a volume check.

I do this a couple of times a night not just for volume but to check on the customer base... Sometimes I may see a little more of an older crowd than normal. This way I can slip some older tunes and still keep my floor hopping because the new generation has no idea what i'm playing but my floor is still full.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 6:12 pm
bryantpb wrote :
Probably the owner or manager. Step out on the floor and ask the crowd or bartender in charge.

Don't bother asking the crowd. Better off using your own judgement and talking to the manager. If the music's too quiet, people won't dance, and if it's too loud they'll leave. You gotta find that happy medium.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 6:26 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
never ask the crowd as they all have their own personal preferances it could be a disaster.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 7:26 pm
haz0rdPRO InfinityMember since 2006
crowd = bad idea.... .

Dance Club = Play music as lound as possible
Loung/Bar = People like to talk in this environment.... Play it a little lower (Not Too Low)

depending on the location of the bar. Make sure they can hear the drink orders(This is how you get paid).

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 7:41 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I never touch the amp, all that has been pre-set, I just output the Mixers at about 70%, then do a walk of the club checking that we're getting sound from all speakers in good quality, and that the volume is nicely balanced. Usually someone outside the booth would advise on changing the levels, as they are the best judge, usually this would be an experienced bar manager.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 7:49 pm
I decide. You need to check the floor a few times a night(when I take a pee). What works for me, I have my booth monitor equal the floor. I set the house master so it's too loud, and set the booth master to the same volume. Now I adjust the channel, so the booth is just right. In other words, if it is too loud in the booth, it's too loud on the floor.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 07 @ 8:03 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've never really had any problems before but after posting this topic, I did have some probs last night! Bar manager just couldnt make up his mind! Can you turn ut up a bit.....can you turn it down a little bit.......so on so forth! I kept checking an everything seemed fine! Some people!! lol.

Has anyone ever had the problem of using a dodgy mixer in a club? This particular club is using a DJM 500, and I HATE it!!! It just lies all the time!! When the LED meters are equal in level one track always comes out to loud or to soft so I was checkin the levels with just headphones last night and things were still tricky!! Its like someone was messing with the gain on the amps or something! Although the amp room is just inside the door of the mens toilets, but surely it would be locked, right??

Anyones else with any similar experiences?

Rory

Posted Sat 31 Mar 07 @ 4:29 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
well the bar manager has to have somthing to do lol

Posted Sat 31 Mar 07 @ 4:33 pm
Just play loud music, and have fun.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 07 @ 7:46 pm
Sometimes it's not a volume problem - its really an EQ problem. Possibly too harsh in the mid / highs or something overall was wrong and inducing ear fatigue. Personally I hate when I wake up the next morning with my ears still ringing. You may have some other tuning to do if its that hard to decide if the volume is ok...

Posted Sun 01 Apr 07 @ 1:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)