Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Multi-Media Keyboards

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This one might be better answered By Pern or Cstoll:

Do you fellows know how I can map the Multi-media buttons on my keyboard to work some of the parameters in VDJ?

Some keyboards have a scroll wheel on them or a volume Knob and mine (mircosoft wireless model) has 17 extra keys on it.

I would like to map these for some functions like - video only crossfade

video select - activate, next effect

stuff like that.

I opened the Shortcut XML file and looked through it but I wouldn't know how to type in the extra key commands

Basically I'd like to use the scroll wheel or volume knob as a crossfader (depending on wg\hich model of keyboard I get) and multi-media keys to controll the video module.

Trouble is - I'm not a programmer so I hope you guys might want to help a guy out.

Posted Sun 18 Mar 07 @ 8:03 am
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I haven't tested a Multi-Media Keyboard with VDJ so i don't know. I guess that if VDJ detects any of these it's the buttons, not the scroll wheel or volume knob. I think it's possible to write a MIDI mapper for all of the extra Multi-Media buttons etc but i'm not sure if it's worth it. If there is a demand for it, then i will look into it.

Posted Sun 18 Mar 07 @ 11:34 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No really because some of those keyboard the actions for the buttons are embeded on the chips in the keyboard. VDJ will recognize some of the keys on my keyboard as regular alpha-keys so those I could take advantage of, but ones like 'Search' or 'Calculator' -- don't register as a key and still launch the assigned application as in the keyboard.

Marcel - do you have a specific keyboard model number that I could look at it's features online?

Posted Sun 18 Mar 07 @ 2:52 pm
No I didn't have a specific model yet - wasn't sure it could be done.

Was just haveing a hard time finding a joystick for perns mapper (under 60 CDN) so I figured I might be able to use a scroll wheel or volume knob for the video crossfader.

Posted Sun 18 Mar 07 @ 3:13 pm
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I guess the only 100% way to read all the extra buttons etc on a multimedia kbd is via HID programming. But then i need to know some about the device reports and how the data structure for that looks like. And that is not generic, but different for each device.

RE:

" 'Search' or 'Calculator' -- don't register as a key and still launch the assigned application as in the keyboard."

You should be able to use a Window Hook , cancel the Windows Message and send your own.
But i haven't tested that on these specific multimedia buttons

Posted Sun 18 Mar 07 @ 3:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)