Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Favorite Reggae, Dancehall, Soca and "Caribbean beats" - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi, I need your help in building up my Reggae music database:

Please add your favorites songs.

Thanks!

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 11:59 pm
This scene of music got a lot of sucsess the last year or so..
So this part of forum could be a great place for its roots, the originals, and the new commercial versions..

All from artists like Bob Marley to new artists like Kevin Lyttle .
It would be cool to have artists all from the roots of this music to new styles like mereng-house...

some definitions :

DANCEHALL:
a type of Jamaican reggae that developed in the early 70's.
Characterized by DJ singing and rapping, or tosting, over raw danceable reggae music (riddims).
Many artists have achieved crossover succsess in the 90's, and last year the scene got new sucsess with artists like Sean Paul's "Get Busy"...

REGGAE
african-caribbean style, that developed in Jamaica. It has developed from such music as Ska, Rocksteady as well as local music.. Artists include such legends as Bob Marley.
A variation of reggae is roots reggae (or roots rock reggae) with artists such as UB40 etc. Other sub-genres of reggae are dub, dancehall, raggamuffin etc, all influenced by other music as well. Some even claim that hip-hop and rap have its origin from reggae (pioneer artists/djs such as Dillinger and U-roy, and Kool Herc, last one also said to be the father of break-beat djing)

CALYPSO
a style of music that developed in the colonial islands of Caribbean, most importantly Trinidad..
Calypso artists vary from such known arists as Harry Belafonte, Lord Invader, Mighty Sparrow and more..

SOCA
is dance music variation of calypso, also called soul-calypso.
It has gained a lot of success recently with artists such as Baha Men (who let the dogs out), Kevin Lyttle (turn me on) and more.. Original arists include Rodney Le Blanc, Sanell Dempster and more.

just an introduction to some styles.. ;)

I bet dj digijoc-Mele will give lots of great tips here, as he seems to be very updated on this scene ;) knock em out.. lol

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 1:49 am
@Acadien

There are too many to list. Why don't you give me an idea of what kind of audience you play to then maybe I can suggest some tracks. i.e. what part of the world you are in, do U want to know what works in a club or wedding reception or birthday party ... ?

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 12:10 am
Well,
Canadian pub...audience is mostly 19-25
All I have so far is Sean Paul, Bob Marley, UB40 and a few odd songs.

Hope it helps!

Thanks in advance

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 12:57 am
Heh, im actually from the virgin islands. Last night i was playing a lot of square one (My Ding-Aling, Faluma etc..)
-Who the Hell is Kim (TC)
-Sorry (Krosfiyah)
-Biting Insects (Ronnie Mcintosh)
-Wine And bend over (Denise Belfont)
-Hot And Groovy (Militant)

(These are all soca/calypso)

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 3:29 pm
Mr Vegas- Shes a Tamale [Dancehall Remix]
Mr Vegas & Pitbull - Pull Ups [Spanish Remix]
Kevin Little - Call Me [Bubbling Remix]
Kevin Little - Turn Me On Part II [Bubbling Remix]
TOK - Shes Blazing
TOK - Gyal You A Lead
TOK - Top A Toppa
Elephant Man - Egyptian Dance
ETC.

Like he said too many to name, these are some commercial hits, I Dont DJ much but i usually do it for my friends parties and these are always loved...

Posted Sat 04 Sep 04 @ 2:41 am
@Acadien

I will post my club playlists from this past weekend as soon as I get a chance.

Posted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 3:32 am
Thanks for your inputs. This forum is great to share your musical knowledge. Please keep updating this section as I'm sure a lot of users will apreciate it.

thanks
merci,
DJ Acadien

Posted Thu 09 Sep 04 @ 4:16 am

Posted Fri 10 Sep 04 @ 5:36 am
Also Canadian pub
You can find enormous reggae tunes in Montreal
in the "cote des neiges" area you can find all
the tunes you need ex Jam rec Ny stylee Bump n Grind
Classics.Its all there but you can get this only on vinyl
and the sound is crap.
Here's a few classics

Murder she wrote
Dollar wine
Knocking boots
Dub be good to me
Flex
Carnival
Typewritter....there is gazillion others.
This type of music is ageless and they are sung by a whole
bunch of diff artists.You can find many versions of these
songs
Hope this helps you out this music is nice to work with.
For three years i was playing this kind of stuff in the early 90's
at PJ's in Montral.Today i pull out tunes from then and they are as fresh as new.
Regards

Posted Sun 19 Sep 04 @ 10:05 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Spanish Raggae's pretty popular here in California...stuff from El General & Azul Azul

Posted Mon 04 Oct 04 @ 4:09 am
Panama reggae music is the best of the world
Panamá el creador del reggae en español..para que sepan
you can download reggae of Panamá
artistas como
Aldo Ranks
Danger Man
Japannesse
Principal
Kafu Banton
Ness
Renato
and other artistas

you know

Posted Sun 21 Nov 04 @ 5:11 am
Guys,

I just have a gig coming up at a club but it will be mostly of a genre that I know very little of. Soca. I appreciate the info in this thread. Digijoc-Mele, I got the playlist you posted. Thanks. That helps a lot. I realize that this thread is kind of old so if you guys have any updated tracks that you can list please do so.

Dj-in-norway and Blackgold9, thanks for the info as well. If anyone would like to give more info, perhaps a link to a website that has a top 10 or 20 that is updated regularly I would really appreciate that also. Thanks again.

PS: I will be playing to a club crowd between the ages of 18 and 28 in the Miami, Florida area.

Killabee44

Posted Mon 17 Jan 05 @ 7:17 am
I am from Trinidad land of soca and calypso and land that love dance hall like Jamicans.I am apart time Dj with ahuge collection of this music and loves the props it is getting internationally. Carnival is 1 week away and I would like to warn does who are coming to the greatest show on Earth, to book there plane ticket and hotel room as fast as possible.

Posted Mon 24 Jan 05 @ 4:18 am
OK im a Dancehall Reggae Dj from the Caribbean ... first of all ... if you really want to get into playing real reggae, your gonna have to start from the basics .. like what riddims are and so on ...

There are too much things to discuss when it comes to this so.... imma just post a Forum that is STRICTLY about reggae

Here you will find lists of Riddims, song names, artists, etc... and dont be afraid to join and ask questions... most of the people there are Reggae DJz so their advice can be very helpful at times

check it out at http://lionmix.com/forum/index.php?s=

Posted Sat 05 Mar 05 @ 6:46 pm
dj mullo g for security reasons your message won't appear until a moderator has reviewed it.

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 4:57 pm
My main question right now is where to find the traditional "Caribbean DJ" samples. Like the air horn(?) the warp sounds etc... I've been scouring the net and cant find em.

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 7:24 pm
u will never find it on the net . You have to have a dj link from here to get samples u want.I have over 200 samples and from djs i got most from.

I will give u 1 idea what might work 4 u . If u can get a live reggae concert on a cd u can use VDJ program to record parts from it to use as a sample.There are concerts out of Jamica like STING INTERNATIONAL.If ucan get a hold of any STING concerts u will see what I mean.

Give me a holla if u want another idea

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 8:15 pm
samples are the easiest thing but first you have to know exactly what you want and with the help of other software you could perfect your sample

Posted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 10:50 pm
Hi

Do some know where I could downlaod Mr. Vegas - Tamale (dancehall remix) legal ??

please write to --@--.--

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry steffi_cool no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:48 pm
80%