Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Linux version - Page: 2
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
But Virtual DJ is a "complete DJ solution" that can also work without any hardware. Plus it would be the first of the "well-know" softwares to be on that platform and should be the pioneer !

I would even add that, if none of those "well-know" famous softwares decides to conquer linux, hardware manufacturers will never provide drivers. Kinda, the snake eating his own tail...

Posted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 1:49 pm
Man I would love a Linux system. I have the NS7 iii and to run that probably it will never happen

Posted Wed 26 Apr 17 @ 4:21 pm
DJWildBillSC wrote :
Man I would love a Linux system. I have the NS7 iii and to run that probably it will never happen

Just to reinvent the post I have VDJ 2020, albeit 32-bit and not 64 bit 2021 version running flawlessly on Pop!OS 22.04 and I have my Numark NV connected and working using the linux kernel native drivers. The only bit that does not work on the NV is the screens as they are named differently to that of windows.

Posted Mon 14 Nov 22 @ 5:53 am
DJPIPES_DISCO wrote :
DJWildBillSC wrote :

Just to reinvent the post I have VDJ 2020, albeit 32-bit and not 64 bit 2021 version running flawlessly on Pop!OS 22.04 and I have my Numark NV connected and working using the linux kernel native drivers. The only bit that does not work on the NV is the screens as they are named differently to that of windows.

nice!!!

Posted Mon 14 Nov 22 @ 5:44 pm
ok im lost here ive been trying to download virtual dj on my linux. but wont install.. what can i do to put it on my linux

Posted Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 1:40 am
There is no Linux version of VirtualDJ.

There are no Linux versions of any major DJ software.

Posted Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 7:16 pm
Developers, please look into Flatpak as a means of offering VirtualDJ to a long waiting, eager and ever-expanding Linux user base. Flatpak is a framework for distributing desktop applications across various Linux distributions and aims to be as agnostic as possible regarding how applications are built. There are no requirements regarding which programming languages, build tools, toolkits or frameworks are used. Essentially you build it once in a consistent environment and at least 36 different Linux distros can then run it.

Spotify, Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Steam, Discord, Plex, VLC, Minecraft, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Visual Studio, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, OBS, Dropbox, Audacity, Signal, Whatsapp, Bitwarden and numerous other major proprietary/open-source programs all have Flatpak versions of their software.

The future is Linux and you're really missing out on a massive opportunity to capitalize on a technically savvy and eager user base, myself included. I used to pay for Virtual DJ but I just can not cope with Windows' greedy and intrusive business philosophy anymore so you're missing out on my subscription along with many others who have just had enough of Microsoft.

Not only does Linux have the ability to run on lower-spec hardware comparatively which provides VirtualDJ the opportunity to be even more accessible to more users, but it also means said users aren't paying for OS licensing fees which means they have more money available to spend on a VDJ license instead. For businesses who use your software, this is a massive selling point! You have the opportunity to be a 'pioneer' 😜 in the industry, to beat your opposition to the market and to encourage equipment manufacturers to follow you (instead of you following them) in providing driver support.

I love your software, but I will be choosing the first to the market... I really hope that it's you! ❤️

P.S - I have no affiliation with Flatpak, I just really love it (and Linux) that much!

Posted Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 8:04 pm
PERSONAL OPINION, NOT REPRESENTING OFFICIAL ATOMIX POSITION

Despite the fact that your entire post sounds like an advert and should probably be moderated for that reason (advertisement is not allowed) I want to comment on the following:

jakewagland wrote :
The future is Linux and you're really missing out on a massive opportunity to capitalize on a technically savvy and eager user base, myself included.

Linux "is the future" for more than 20 years now. Every once in a while, someone will make the same bold claims that we all have heard numerous times over several years.
Only that no, Linux is not the future. It's the future that never comes! It's too fragmented to get critical mass going. Not to mention that every distro changes things "just to change them"
Don't get me wrong, I run 3 Linux servers. They are great for that job. But as a "DJ machine" ? No way!!!

jakewagland wrote :
I used to pay for Virtual DJ but I just can not cope with Windows' greedy and intrusive business philosophy anymore so you're missing out on my subscription along with many others who have just had enough of Microsoft.

Good luck with finding any DJ software that can actually be used live under Linux. And even better luck finding a professional controller that can also be used under Linux.
Whether you like it or not, if you want to use a computer to DJ professionally, then you'll have to use either Windows or MAC OS.
Linux is just a wishful utopia (for the foreseeable feature) and it has been that way for at least 15 years, or more!

So, please, if you want to express your love for Linux it's ok. It's also ok to "wish" for VirtualDJ to run on Linux (which won't happen anytime soon). But please don't sound like a marketing / advertisement person, because you're gonna get treated like one.

Posted Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 9:28 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Good luck with finding any DJ software that can actually be used live under Linux. And even better luck finding a professional controller that can also be used under Linux.

Sorry... I couldn't help myself...

Posted Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 6:27 pm
@ PHANTOMDEEJAY, It's cool man, may as well delete it. Considering Flatpak works to resolve the issue of distro fragmentation, I can see from that comment alone that it's falling on deaf (and apparently hostile) ears. Oh well.

@ Klausmogensen, I daily drive Pop!_OS, playing demanding games with native support for my Nvidia graphics card.. Didn't even need to install the drivers, they came with the OS. 🙄

Posted Sat 29 Apr 23 @ 4:29 pm
I think you may be misunderstanding the gravity of the problem here.

You could get VirtualDJ running on Linux with some work (you could probably try your luck with WINE) but as PhantomDeejay said this is one part of the general problem. The other considerations are configuration for distro support (which flatpak and other platform agnostic software packinging/deployment utilities largely eliminate, but not without quirks, like permission/access settings) userbase and professional support (drivers, updates, etc) of Hardware on Linux, and the last one is not something VirtualDJ devs have any say over, so for professional use with a controller, it's almost pointless.
Your example of graphics cards being support is the same....Nvidia ( the hardware provider) and others saw the market need and probably worked with Kernel Devs to get it working. The Devs of Pop OS didn't do any of it by themselves...they just packaged what was already there together nicely and provided it to you.

BTW, there are a few "ready made" packaging formats besides flatpak, for Linux...imo AppImage is (mostly provable by experiment) more performant and creates on average, smaller packages than Flatpak....why did you decide to recommend that than asking for more general packaging?

Btw I run Arch Linux as my daily driver and use SUSE Linux for work so I know what you feel, but you have to be realistic in expectations.

Posted Sun 30 Apr 23 @ 1:38 pm
My ears are not deaf, nor hostile.
As I said, I run Linux (Ubuntu mostly) on a few servers.
I have a good understanding of Linux ecosystem. And I used to believe (in the early 2000s) that Linux could be the future.
But since that time I have grown up. I was a student back then, and now I am a married man with a kid. And while life for me has moved on (as it should), Linux is still "the future to come". It's still at the same stage I gave up on it.

That's what I was trying to explain.

As for VirtualDJ development: I believe that when you are a small company with limited resources and not a behemoth like Microsoft, Apple, or nVidia with almost unlimited resources, it's better to use those resources where it makes sense the most.
Supporting Linux does not mean to just modify/adjust the code of VirtualDJ to run on Linux distros.
It means to also be able to provide support to the users. And that's almost a nightmare with so many distros, and so many potentially clueless users that won't even know what CLI is, yet alone use it.
So, this part alone (customer support) could take up a disproportional part of resources, most likely more than it would be needed to transform/adapt the code, with minor (if of any significance) returns.
The rest points (as hardware support) still remain true of course.

So, it's not deaf or hostile ears from my side. You can call them bitter ears I guess, but I call them realistic!

Posted Mon 01 May 23 @ 9:33 pm