Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What is the benefit of using ASIO drivers?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can someone explain what the benefit of using ASIO drivers? (I think that's what it called).

I just installed a fresh XP image with my VDJ4.2 and MK2 using the MK2 software I got from hercules.com.

Is there any benefit of using ASIO drivers? What do they do? On my last build I tried installing and using them (selecting ASIO in sound setup)... and the sound was stuttering a bit. Maybe I didn't have it configured properly?

I am trying to keep this image as clean as possible so I only want to install it if I am definitely going to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:42 am
CanSpoilU wrote :
Can someone explain what the benefit of using ASIO drivers? (I think that's what it called).

I just installed a fresh XP image with my VDJ4.2 and MK2 using the MK2 software I got from hercules.com.

Is there any benefit of using ASIO drivers? What do they do? On my last build I tried installing and using them (selecting ASIO in sound setup)... and the sound was stuttering a bit. Maybe I didn't have it configured properly?

I am trying to keep this image as clean as possible so I only want to install it if I am definitely going to use it.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/58120/Hardware_Technical_Support/Guide_To_set_up_tcv_with_mk2_console__)_.html?page=1

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 3:57 am
Ok stupid question of the day. What are tcvs and what do they do? Are they these timecodes I hear everyone talk about? I dont think I use these? I just use the MK2 console to control the buttons on VDJ. I am not using any separate inputs.

Do I still need ASIO?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 4:46 am
Yes they are the timecodes you hear everyone talking about. If you don't know what they are, then you don't need them. You don't *need* ASIO, but it will give you low latency. In other words, when you press play you won't be waiting one second before the song actually starts. You will get pretty close to a realtime response in relation to the VDJ controls and your music.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 4:54 am
ASIO is in the sound card controls.. What does that have to do with response time between the controler and the software...???

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 4:59 am
the tcv's are time coded vinyl.....these records can be used to scratch mp3's.....this is a way for turntable dj's to scratch with their usual equipment and control mp3 audio. Cd jocks can control mp3's with time coded cd's played in high end cd players. there is a lot of free info here from friendly knowledgeable people using a broad spectrum of control devices.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 5:13 am
ASIO are drivers that are synonymous with low latency. Low latency means fast response whenever the soundcard responds to the software.
Drivers are intermediaries between the software application and the operating system.This is the reason why you can have an operating system accomodate so many different applications. Imagine a mixing board with 1/4 inch connections......you have an incoming wire with rca connections.....if you convert the rca to 1/4 inch with adapters, now you can connect to the mixer......in this scenario the adapters provide the same function that drivers do between an operating system and a given software application.....

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 5:28 am
@paulettecerra

ASIO has a lot do with how the software responds in relation to your music. Here is the official definition of ASIO: (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) is a protocol for low-latency digital audio specified by Steinberg.

ASIO provides an interface between an application and the sound card. Whereas Microsoft's DirectSound is typically for stereo input and output for consumers, ASIO provides for the needs of musicians and sound engineers. ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently. It also provides for the synchronization of input with output in a way that is not possible with DirectSound, allowing recording studios to process their audio via software on the computer instead of using thousands of dollars worth of separate equipment. Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency of operating system audio mixing kernels, allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware.

In other words, you get the sound to your soundcard faster. And you can have multiple streams of audio going at the same time without one slowing down the other. It makes doing what we do with this software possible.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 5:44 am
thanks for that....i didn't know it was specified by steinberg.....anyway it is synonymous with low latency and for that matter more professional use.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 5:50 am
Ok ,, I get what your saying BUT,,, djderricke Said,,
djderricke wrote :
ASIO, when you press play you won't be waiting one second before the song actually starts. You will get pretty close to a realtime response in relation to the VDJ controls and your music.

That's button response... Will ASIO mode help button response or is this a misquote or am I missing something?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 6:44 am
Yes ASIO will help with button repsonse. When dealing with regular WDM sound drivers, the sound has to fill up a buffer before it gets processed by your soundcard. Buffers used by WDM drivers are larger than ASIO buffers, which helps to keep your song from stuttering, but doesn't give you very quick response. (In other words, if you change the tempo of your song, it may take a half second before you actually hear the change.) That is a grossly oversimplified version of how ASIO vs WDM works mind you.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 6:57 am
So let me see if i get this straight.... for me (someone that doesnt use any timecode stuff).... using ASIO drivers would give me more of an "instant start" when hitting play on the MK2?

Why couldn't I just lower the latency setting in the sound properties in VDJ to like 2ms or something like that. Wouldnt that accomplish the same thing without ASIO?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 7:09 am
I have MK1 and a Sblive USB 24-bit (5.1),,, Which one will give me better song quality in what mode?

Thanks

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 7:10 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Hi fellows,

ASIO is well explain thanks to djderricke and Wikipedia. But it ONLY works for AUDIO streaming in a SOUNDCARD.

Latency it's another THING and it's in EVERY electronic device. Latency is the amount of time that a DEVICE will process the information from its input to their output. This path from input to output takes some amount of time, that is called LATENCY. The finest design and more efficent design has LOWER latency times, some other has more latency because of their components timings.

So back again to our questions. TCVs are external vinyls that control VirtualDJ. If I speed up my vinyl, I speed up my MP3 (or Video file) in VirtualDJ, also everything that I do over the vinyl (Scratch, stop, go forward, backwards, move the pitch, begin the song, move to the middle of the song, etc) it's affected in VirtualDJ like the song on virtualdj was recorded on that vinyl. That's how it works, and also could do it with videos and also could be used in CD-Players with TCCDs.

These "Controls" (TCVs & TCCDS) need and interfase to input these analog sounds to our digital PC, that interfase is the SOUNDCARD. This soundcard need some time to process this analog sound and pass it thru the PC and also output again thru our mixer or thru the speakers. This "cycle" takes some amoung of time (LATENCY) to enter and finally go out of that souncard. This is why ASIO drivers are a BIG difference, regular Drivers could be 100ms or more time to be processed, and ASIO drivers could go down from 10 to 1 ms only using the same hardware or soundcard. So ASIO is good because of this.

Using an Hercules DJ Control MP3 (with no soundcard) you Wont have any ASIO drivers with it, because you don't need it. Latency values are in this device , because it's an electronic device, but you are going to control it using a software for that device (driver), and since it's a digital interfase between the buttons and the software, you wont need any ASIO driver in here, because it is already optimze for digital use. The same applies to all other DIGITAL controllers (MIDI= Musical Instrument Digital Interface)

From wikipedia:

MIDI
(Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is an industry-standard electronic communications protocol that enables electronic musical electronic musical instruments, computers and other equipment to communicate, control and synchronize with each other in real time. MIDI does not transmit an audio signal — it simply transmits digital data such as the pitch and intensity of musical notes to play, control signals for parameters such as volume, vibrato and panning, and clock signals to set the tempo. As an electronic protocol, it is notable for its success, both in its ubiquitous widespread

adoption throughout the industry, and in remaining essentially unchanged in the face of technological developments since its introduction in 1983.

As you see, ASIO don't applied here. Only applies where you have an AUDIO interfase and for AUDIO signals that are going to be processed by a computer. ASIO [(Audio Stream Input Output) is a protocol for low-latency digital audio specified by Steinberg.]

In Few words:

ASIO is needed to be use with VirtualDJ Timecoded Vinyls or CDs. With ASIO drivers you have a faster response over the overall system.

MIDI Controllers (as controllers for VirtualDJ, Like Behringer BCD-2000, XP10, Hercules DJConsole, Ecler Nuo 4, Pioneer DMJ-800, UC-33, Numark iCDX, Dac2, Dac3, etc) don't need any ASIO driver to CONTROL their MIDI interfase. Some of these controllers has a SOUNDCARD, and because of this, have ASIO drivers; but nothing to do with the MIDI part of this products.

hope this is finally clear for all. :-)

See you later ;-)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 8:47 am
That was excellent acw_dj, Thank you… I’ve seen conflicting post on this subject.. You should start a Guide for sound cards starting with this..

Regarding my question,,, I have MK1 and a SBlive USB 24-bit (5.1),,, Which one will give me better sound quality in what mode?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 9:03 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
paulettecerra wrote :
That was excellent acw_dj, Thank you… I’ve seen conflicting post on this subject.. You should start a Guide for sound cards starting with this..

Regarding my question,,, I have MK1 and a SBlive USB 24-bit (5.1),,, Which one will give me better sound quality in what mode?

I think SB Live will give better sound. But probe both soundcards and decide which one it's best for you.

On the same brand, This one it's better
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=244&subcategory=249&product=9103

And these are better for laptops:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=244&subcategory=250&product=10769

Good Luck!

Posted Fri 26 Jan 07 @ 9:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)