Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lol, ready ready 4 this?? Project Budget Averatec Is In Effect.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

K, so I have absolutely NO $$ to invest in a new laptop, but my father just so happens to still have the laptop that I gave him for xmas, which is an Averatec 3225
Specs:

1.53 Ghz
512 DDR333 Ram (But in System Properties, it says 480????)

Anywho, I want to optimize this comptuer for VDJ, and VDJ ONLY!!!

I've read somewhere instructions on how to make virtualdj.exe the 'shell' for windows?? I guess that means its the only program that windows runs??

ANyways, since I can't afford a new laptop, this is all I got. Any input on how I can turn this thing into a VDJ machine would help me out great. I plan on doing a fresh reformat with windows xp pro, and figuring out how to 'trim' the OS for absolutely NOTHING cept for basic functions and usb, and thats it. No ethernet, no wifi, no IE, nothing.

Only one other problem. it only has one output, and i've already figured out how to use that along with a hardware mixer, it just uses mono left and right for each respective deck. My problem is I may need something else for audio, but don't forget, this is BUDGET, like the laptop was free, and I wanna spend as little money as possible to get this craptop as a usable vdj machine.

K, thats it, let the comments fly!!
-Schmidty

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 6:02 am

Format the drive, and install Windows XP, clean.

Get a cheap surround USB soundcard, that has at least two outs.

And you are ready to play;)

The PC will do fine for audio play...

(Guessing its a P4, with 512 ram and CPU as described above)

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 10:11 am
dj schmidty!! I've got a deal for you...

Hercules MK1,, $65.00 + Shipping

Controller and Sound Card

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 12:39 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
I plan on doing a fresh reformat with windows xp pro, and figuring out how to 'trim' the OS for absolutely NOTHING cept for basic functions and usb, and thats it. No ethernet, no wifi, no IE, nothing.

There's a lot more effort involved than it's worth to take out internet explorer and crippling your driver installations isn't a good idea either. You don't have to install your wi-fi software and other control panel type software but do still install the drivers and then disable them from device manager if necessary. Obviously you will only need the drivers for hardware which is internal to your laptop, don't install printer drivers or anything like that, especially software like iTunes which runs two simultaneous services at all times unless you manually disable them. If this laptop will have no network connections, and you're only moving trusted music to it, don't install an anti-virus program either.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 3:07 pm
I read someone's blog describing how to 'trim' like I was saying, didn't seem that involved. But yes your right, I will pre download the drivers for my laptop, then have them ready on my 500gb External Usb hard drive, along with the music that I have initially selected to go on the cpu for testing. Next I plan to do a fresh install, and litteraly install vdj and thats it. The drivers will go on the HD, and I will install drivers for video, audio..... and uh, maybe the touchpad scroll function and thats it.

About the MK1, I can't seem to find ANY info on it, i've tried a google search, and it just keeps coming up as the mk2. wanna provide me a link with some info?? Thanx

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 4:50 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the mk1 dj console , is the previous version of the mk2 and is no longer for sale.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 4:52 pm
Oh yea alsmost forgot, Nor norway, its not a pentium 4, its a AMD Athlon XP-M

We shall see.

(One other thing i'd like to comment about is that once in a while, when i'm running music on this laptop, the whole os, mouse and all, will 'freeze' for a half a second, and the music will kind of have the 'delay' effect but very quickly, and then its over, and goes back to normal operation. ANyone know what this is? if its OS or hardware related?? I would hate for this to happen during a live set... Thanx.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 4:53 pm
one thing would be to check for any other applications running in the background (ie: Anti-virus software, spyware, p2p software, etc)

use CTRL, ALT+ DEL click on the processes tab and under the user Name. Anything with the User that you are currently logged on (generally your name) just end the process of every program running except for sstray.exe and explorer.exe

Once this done. try to reload VDJ and try it again to see if its getting reproduced. if it is then its quite possibly hardware related (heat, IRQ conflict, bad Ram)

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 5:43 pm
k, next phase in my budget build up, I figured that using the regular stereo out that is on the laptop, which is a standard 1/8" headphone jack, and splitting it by way of changing the left and right to mono deck A and deck B, didn't sound too good. I tried it, and hooked it up to my behringer mixer, but for some reason I heard a little bit from the 'cue' side in the 'focused' side. Not good, cause the audience will hear me cueing up the next song. So I went today to my local used music store, and found a used one of THIS:

http://www.nusystems.co.uk/product/M-Audio.Quattro.USB

Its usb, 4 in 4 out, ASIO 2.0 (What ever that means, i'll have to read up more about this) comes with drivers, usb cable, and its CHEAP!!!!
used on sale, they want $70 for it. It can run 24 bit / 96k , which is what my friend's tractor mac setup runs with a stanton firewire card.

I think i'm gonna go with it, he said I can return it if its no good, or won't work with my setup. Anywho, i'm gonna use 2 of the line outs to goto my hardware mixer, and now I am bringing 4 pieces with me to a gig. My laptop, the mixer, the soundcard, and my USB hard drive.

So what u think all u ASIO gurus, will this work with my setup?

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 12:11 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
512 ram
32 shared ram for onboard graphics
480 remaining

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 1:43 am
Ah, true.. got it..

Anyone have any comments on that sound card I found?

Oh, btw, another friend of mine has a PCMCIA soundblaster 24bit audigy soundcard that he is willing to give me for $50, not sure if its what I should do, as i've been reading on, it makes more sense to have 1 card with multi out and in, than 2 cards...

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 4:12 am
bump...

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 6:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)