Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Making advanced remix's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Guys .. i have always wonered about this .. some Dj's create these awesome remixes by only including the chorus ... like ... YMCA .. i just love the chorus in the song ..the yyyyyyyyyyymca part .. and this Dj .. he made a remix which had a really nice tune and only that chorus part going over and over again ... i thought he would just record the chorus as a sample and keep playing that part again and again while playing the beats ... i tried doing that but the song gave me a horrible effect .. coz when you run the sample the original music also starts playing and it feels like ur playing two different songs on winamp .. so can someone tell me how pro Dj's do that .. extract parts of the song and replace wherever they want ???

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 11:36 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This is what you can do if you spend like 5 hours a day practicing. Know your music. Listen to songs and think to yourself "hey, I know a song that goes with that".

I'll give you an example. Think of Armand Van Helden's 'My My My'. I was listening to this the other day and heard a section of the song about 2/3rds of the way through where it's just an instrumental section with a good beat in the background. I was thinking to myself "the Billie Jean introduction would mix in well with that". Don't get me wrong, I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait to give it a go, just to make sure. Another example, DB Boulevard "Another Point Of View" and Fedde Le Grande "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit". Haven't tried it yet, but just on hearing the songs, I think they would mix well together. Final example, and one I know works well. Load up Run DMC vs. Jason Nevins "It's Like That" and speed it up a bit to 138 bpm (from memory, it's 129 or thereabouts). On the other deck, load up Snap "Rhythm is a Dancer" and beatmatch the Run DMC track to the Snap track. Play the Run DMC track. After the first line ("And it goes a little something like this...") start an 8 beat loop on the first beat after the words. Let it play...

On "Rhythm is a Dancer" about half way through, find the vocal section. Just vocals with music but no beats...this is a really nice little mix with the Run DMC beats hanging over the top of it. Works really well. Then, when the beats start back in RIAD, you can throw in Deep Dish vs. Dire Straits "Flashing for Money" just as it's finishing. Nice little mix, not too hard to handle, and the Deep Dish beats are just excellent...(",) (In fact, i think there's actually a version of the Run DMC vs. Snap remix out there, but playing it for yourself is much more satisfying than having someone else do it for you).

Anyway, (sorry, going off on a bit of a tangent there!!!) start practicing with 2 songs that have a very defined beat in them. Play the first one and find a section in it that has a good beat. Loop it for 16 beats and let it play over and over until it annoys you. While that's doing that, find the YMCA bit you're looking for and loop that and then either manually or automatically beatmatch the songs, and cross the fader over between the two. You've just done what these professionals are doing...ok, perhaps maybe not as fluently or as brilliantly, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

Now, from memory, YMCA is about 127 bpm, so find a thumpy tune that's about the same, (but no more than 5 - 10 bpm out either way otherwise you'll be playing one track too quickly and the other too slowly and it won't sound right) and practice, practice, practice until you can't take it anymore. Try different tracks to see what works well too.

Remember, even the biggest rivers started out as raindrops. Pure cheese, but you get what I mean.

Good luck...(",)

P

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 12:20 pm
Please pick anything else except YMCA.

I'm still suffering repetitive play injury after all these years of playing it nearly every party night I do.

The other one not to remix is Gimme Some. One scary night had around a 100 overweight women doing that dance in front of me. AAaagh

Seriously, though, just take note of what Pionara says. That's the truth.

A

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 2:12 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hehehe...(",)

The old "Man, I hate that song!!!" syndrome.

Feeling it for you asymptote...

P

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 8:10 pm
thanks a ton guys ... i think i got it .. seriously guys u are the BEST :)

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 2:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)