Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone out there using Alienware?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I will admit. After seeing my buddy DJ last night using tractor, I can see the huge advantages to using a laptop while Djing. (Granted, there is NO scratching involved, and everything he did was hard hitting house music, kinda hard to screw up)

Non the less, it got me thinking what kind of laptop a power hungry, computer perfectionist like me would use. I absolutely H8 the idea of using a laptop, but lately i've been getting calls to DJ house music in the city. It would be very difficult for me tobring my records on a train, and I refuse to drive in, so a laptop anda controller and usb (Oh man, I just threw up in my mouth) sound card is on my list of things to get I guess. Now I kinda feel stupid because I just bought the software outright, and the numark conrtoller that just came out probably comes with VDJ 4.0 (Grrr)

Anyway, not to get off topic too much, what kind of craptop would I pick if I had to, none other than alienware. By far since i've been into computing, they have ALWAYS made a better product for the media psychotic user, especially gamers, and I think its safe to say that if those PCs and craptops can stand up to the demands of Pro Gamers, then they have my vote.

Anyone using one now w/vdj??

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 9:41 am
Get a Mac http://www.apple.com/getamac/ and run windows 100% natively on it only if/when you have to: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/.

2 computers in one, and the Mac won't blow chunks on you at the most in-opportune time because it uses a rock solid and secure Unix based OS that Apple made user friendly, the best of both worlds! Macs don't run on an antiquated registry based OS and have driver/software/hardware/OS/security issues which is why the average Mac will last you 2-3x longer [4-6 years] than a windows pc [2 or 3 if you're lucky]. Don't be fooled by the couple of hundred dollars you might save initially [you actually don't "save" anything on a comparably equipped windows pc], because that "bargain" windows computer you just bought will be replaced 2-3 times within the same timeframe that you would have had 1 Mac. So where are the "savings" in the long run?

Ask "dj-in-norway" (one, if not the, most credible Atomix person on these forums why he has already publicly stated that his next notebook will be a Mac Book Pro.

Then ask "cstoll" what he thinks about the performance of VDJ running on a MacBook Pro using windows and furthermore, whether or not he believes that running VDJ or Virtual Vinyl on a Mac NATIVELY will be even better.

Then ask "skyfxl" why he wants a Mac.

Then ask any Mac user, especially a recent switcher, why they would never think of getting a windows only pc in this day and age.

Then ask yourself if you think that "Macs are insignificant", then why did Numark demand a Mac version of Virtual Vinyl?

I'll answer that last one for you. Because they are VERY significant to anyone who demands reliability, security, and longevity from their computer. Do you not want these attributes schmidty?

PROFESSIONAL turntablists/dj's obviously demand this, but why shouldn't everyone? It doesn't matter if you're not at Q-Bert's level or not even a turntablist, it's about being able to do what's important to you reliably, with security, and for an extended period of time [longevity]. I don't know of anyone who would say they don't want those things.

The number of windows users switching to Macs by the hundreds of thousands is doubling year over year [400,000+ in '05, 800,000+ BEFORE the holiday season in '06] and it'll be a cold day in hell when you see any of them switch back to a windows only pc when they can now use both [or all 3 if you use Linux] on one computer, a Mac.

Again, get a Mac http://www.apple.com/getamac/ and run windows 100% natively on it only if/when you have to http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/.

Remember, the problem with windows computers is NOT who the hardware manufacturer is like AlienWare [ Dell...=P] anyway. The weakest common denominator among ALL windows computers is the windows OS itself. Same will be true for vista.

Just an FYI dj schmidty. =)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 10:45 am

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:03 am
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yes.
I have a m5550.
Do a search, and it'll show my specs.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:26 am
dj schmidty wrote :
Anyway, not to get off topic too much, what kind of craptop would I pick if I had to, none other than alienware.

Ooops! I thought you were asking for notebook purchasing advice in general and that you simply had a preference for Alienware, hence the title of your thread. i didn't understand the context of you're "none other than alienware" statement.

I didn't mean to hijack you're thread. That's why I linked to the Mac vs. windows thread above. ;)

Good luck with your windows Dell/Alienware! =)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:37 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
as conquest says , alien ware is Dell with a fancy logo , personaly not such a fan =)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 5:44 pm
I just have always used windows, so i'm not about to start on the MAC trend. Hey, btw, can you use VDJ in Linux???? Cause if you can, I would much rather use VDJ on a linux startup, and use the laptop for other things, then just boot up to linux and use it in linux!!

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 6:51 pm
Correction, i've always used "PCs" I have messed around with linux a few times, and have heard that its very stable compared to windows. Still i'd like to know if its posible to run VDJ in linux.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 7:03 pm
no there is no linux mode but check my blog to learn how to boot up virtual dj only :)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 8:17 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
I just have always used windows, so i'm not about to start on the MAC trend.

Hehe. The famous last words of EVERY windows to Mac switcher which I've dealt with consistently 2-4x a day, 5x a week, for over 4 1/2 years now.

The switch to Mac is NOT a trend, it is the REALIZATION that the problem with windows computers IS windows OS itself. That's why people are no longer asking themselves "what computer should I use", but "what OS should I use".

windows is the winner at being the worst of the bunch [at least it "wins" at something ;)]. Linux is more stable than windows [which isn't saying much], but neither have the level of QUALITY CONTROL that a Mac has, where the OS is COMPLETELY optimized for the hardware that it is running on because the OS is made by one developer, Apple, and the hardware is configured by one hardware manufacturer, Apple.

The 2 most important parts of ANY computer are the OS and it's hardware. Apple is the ONLY computer manufacturer that maintains quality control over both.

Quality Control = Reliability/Stability/Security = Productivity = User Satisfaction = Loyalty (to something that simply "works" aka "Ease of Use").

As far as the perceived "learning curve "of switching from windows to Mac, it's NOT about "learning" Mac, it's about "un-learning" wndows. All the obstacles that windows makes you go through to so the simplest things are severely minimized, if not completely eliminated, wih a Mac.

THAT'S the result of the superior quaility control that Apple's Macintosh computers offer and is why they work reliably for a much longer time than windows computers.

The reason Macs are so big in schools as well as among retirees is that whether you're 8 years old, 80 years old, or anywhere in between [I'd find it hard to believe that you couldn't adapt to what really young and/or old people can adapt to within a few hours dj schmidty] , computer users all want the same thing:

A computer that works reliably with security for an extended period of time. The masses are realizing that windows computers do NOT fulfill those needs, Macs do. ;)

Good luck on whatever choice you make though dj schmidty! =)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 11:46 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
conquest TAKE A F**KING HOLIDAY MATE

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 10:19 pm
k, so like in my other post, after your long winded posts, I decided to 'take a peek' and see what its all about. I see that macbooks are going for like $1300, which is not as bad as I thought it would be, but still, kinda pricey for something I don't understand fully, and am not sure if it will meet the performance requirements that i'm needing.

For instance, with IBM laptops, I know pretty much how a certain program will react if I tune down the OS to run that program only. That computer will NEVER see the internet, nor run any other programs besides VDJ. With a MAC I have no idea how to tune the computer to maximize VDJ as its only function, or even if I need to do that.

I know you have some info for me, so I look forward to reading this post in an hour.... lol

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 10:37 pm
woaah peace out my dears :)

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 10:41 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'll NEVER switch to Mac UNTIL I can't have a big collection of Mac programs and source codes as I have fot Windows. I don't switch also to Linux because of the same problem. here in Italy it's almost everything for Windows, and other things for Linux which most aren't as good as commercial software for Win.
This is the condition. My knowledge and my archives are Windows only, I can't switch to Mac. And I've changed my computer after 8 years... maybe we can talk about this in 5 years (minimum), as I have NO money to spend (and I'm going to start 5 years of university - I hope).

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 10:55 pm

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 10:56 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
k, so like in my other post, after your long winded posts, I decided to 'take a peek' and see what its all about. I see that macbooks are going for like $1300, which is not as bad as I thought it would be, but still, kinda pricey for something I don't understand fully, and am not sure if it will meet the performance requirements that i'm needing.

For instance, with IBM laptops, I know pretty much how a certain program will react if I tune down the OS to run that program only. That computer will NEVER see the internet, nor run any other programs besides VDJ. With a MAC I have no idea how to tune the computer to maximize VDJ as its only function, or even if I need to do that.

I know you have some info for me, so I look forward to reading this post in an hour.... lol

i have both macs and pcs that i use for djing. yes, you do have to tune windows to run a dj program effectively however, on mac os i don't tune anything. maybe i click the little thing to turn off wireless but that's about it. i don't have to run any registry hacks or any of that windows nonsense that you have to do.

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 11:00 pm
Dj Xeo wrote :
conquest TAKE A F**KING HOLIDAY MATE

Yo Xeo-

Since you found it necessary to introduce profanity into a civil exchange between myself and dj schmidty and have not offered ANY productive material or comments to this thread, SUCK ON THIS new post from dj shmidty:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/63908/General_Discussion/Ok__so_lets_say_i_m_curious_about_running_VDJ_on_a_MacBook_____.html

Now throw another windows pc on the "Barby" where it belongs "mate" and don't ever address me in that way again.

- ConQuest

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 4:19 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you like macs, other people like macs, IIIII even like macs, thats not the question. i just dont get why you have appointed yourself official spokesperson.

make yourself a website www.arentmacsgreat.com and direct anyone that even utters the words Mac or Apple there instead of splurging a mountain of marketing at the drop of a hat. atleast now you have your own 'all mac jibber goes here' padded cell to fill up.

im sorry for using the word 'F**KING', let me rephrase, take a LOOOONNNG holiday

dont insult my dialect with your horibly inacurate satire, atleast now i dont feel bad for using profanity to emphasise my exhaspration with your presistant mac campaign

(i cant spell)

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 2:07 am
This was a CIVIL discussion on a PUBLIC, GENERAL DISCUSSION forum between "A" (me), and "B" (dj schmidty).

YOU just need to "C" your way out of it Xeo. ;)

Sorry if you got annoyed, but I DID state on the first page that I made a mistake in not understanding that dj schmidty only wanted Alienware advice AND I even apologized for it:

ConQuest wrote :
Ooops! I thought you were asking for notebook purchasing advice in general and did not realize that you simply had a preference for Alienware, hence the title of your thread. i didn't understand the context of you're "none other than alienware" statement.

I didn't mean to hijack you're thread. That's why I linked to the Mac vs. windows thread above. ;)

Good luck with your windows Dell/Alienware! =)

See?

Posted Thu 25 Jan 07 @ 2:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)