Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can I get away with 512 RAM

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm going to buy a new laptop today but due to budgeting issues would like to get a 1 - 2 gig proc with 512 ram.

I am not a scratch dj or use external cd drivers; however, i do beatmix and would like to do the same with video and work with the onboard goodies that come with the 4x software.

can I get away with average ram. How long does it take for download and plug / play

I am wedding and commercial club dj.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 7:49 pm
I once tested VDJ on a PC with 512 mb ram, and when I used some sound FX (like TKfilter) on 2 songs, the music started to stutter. So I would go for 1gig ram if you could. It's also better for loading longer tracks. I don't know anything about video, but I guess this uses more power.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 7:55 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
it is with in aceptable limits for basic audio but if ur gona stratch or apply fx , i would get a gig .

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:02 pm

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:04 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
512mb is a good minimum for Audio only, this is what I use and it's flawless (evern with keylock enabled) providing other demanding applications are closed. before doing gigs I cut down the number of running processes, programs like MSN, Anti-Virus etc use a lot of memory (collectively). An Ideal amount would be 1 Gig + for good Audio and Video performance.

However, a laptop that can handle video (entirely) will never be cheap, I've looked myself, in the UK I've not seen a laptop that could Handle Video mixing in VDJ (DVD quality) for anything less than £800 (or almost double in dollors), a Laptop in this price range would almost certainly contain a Gig of Ram.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:06 pm
When I get my unit and sofware and some practicing before gigging.. I have a appt with a local club who just happens to be my immediate competitor... He has problem with wannabe djs not being able to mix and / or read the crowd. From what I can tell, many of his clients are coming to my shows. I want to change to his location for change of scenery and possible higher pay... not to mention recognition on the DJ resume.

Are there some helpful questions or proposals

He is a former Las Vegas DJ
club style room
multi tv's but none on dance floor
vip sections with vale parking
no other DJ have video

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:38 pm
Sorry! forgot to ask should I take my new found DJ kit for possible audition?

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:39 pm
Audition,, Only use what your comfortable with and use the software as a tool for ware your taking you business… You don’t want to be cornered with question about the software and not no the answers or end up crashing your computer… He was a club DJ that like to see you mix,, not the software..

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:49 pm
I'm just a bedroom dj, but I have read on this forum that you shouldn't use mp3 with a lower quality than 192 kps in a club. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new job.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 8:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)