Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Will any USB sound card work for *basic* functionality?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all..

I’ve read through the forums on this one, but am encountering a lot of complicated answers. I just need a basic solution for right now.

I’m thinking of trying VDJ out at some smaller private events I do. I’m not using any external hardware, such as a mixer, etc. Yep.. I’m going to try it in vanilla mode, which is just using the mouse and keyboard /interface.

Here’s my question…

I need cueing capability. So, I’ll plug the headphones into the laptop earphone jack. Then, I’ll plug in a USB sound card, which will output to the amp. For this basic purpose, “any” USB sound card should suffice, right?

My only real concern is… What if Virtual DJ does not see the ‘secondary’ USB sound card as an option? This should not be a problem, or will it? I’m aware of these high-end USB DJ solutions, but I don’t want to commit anything like this yet.

I was thinking of trying one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698696&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

I’d just like to know of any foreseeable problems before purchasing the pro version.

Much thanks!

John

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 10:51 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
virtual dj will detect any usb soundcard :)

any 4.1 or above usb soundcard

will work for headphone preview :)

you just need two output channels

you would then choose

inputs : none

output: headphones

card 4.1

then asign the channel you want for output and for headphones

hope that helps

Regards

Simon

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 10:55 pm
My question is why are you NOT using a hercules. My very first time doing any real professional DJing in public with a computer was using VDJ with a Hercules. I think it is a perfectly fine solution.

Before that I was using a computer with Winamp. VDJ + Hercules, infintely better.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 10:57 pm

For your more "basic" needs, the Hercules MK2 controller will blow you away... ;)

Its an all-in-one package, at a bargain deal.

Controller, mixer, dual soundcard, headphone output, mic input...

can even expand later to use with external mixer, timecode..

Will take a long time before you outgrow the Herc ;) I still like it, and have it...
Although using tc and cdj's more and more, the herc is quite nice.

But Virtual DJ will work with any USB dual (surrround, 4.1,5.1, 7.1) soundcard, so you can find just soundcard solutions too...
But I'd recommend the Hercules:)

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:14 pm
the BIG advantage with the herc being the built in mixer. yeah true, you can use any old soundcard as alternative but then you gotta have a mixer right? you'll need a place to plug your headphones right? just go with hercules. i think it'll work just right for you.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:23 pm
Thanks for the quick replies!

Ok, so all I need to do is make sure that product link I posted is 4.1 or up. It does not say. Can anyone have a look and see if it will meet the basic requirement before I actually purchase it?

Observes more posts before replying to this message..

OK OK … Enough about the Hercules already! You’ve almost talked me into it. I’m looking at one now on Ebay. So… No other USB sound card is needed then, correct? I just plug in the MK2 and I’m good to go, right?

Looks like VDJ ships with it as well?

Much thanks again,

J.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:25 pm
A special version of VDJ is included with Hercules. To DJ a gig with a hercules, you'll need:

A computer
Hercules
Some kind of amplification system (speakers)
Music
Headphones
People to dance to your jammin tunes

Really, that's about it though. You don't need cd players, external mixer, turntables or anything else. The entry is very easy.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:29 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
yes its plug and play i love it ==)

dont buy it from ebay get a sealed one

you get virtual dj console edtion with it which can be upgraded to pro at a reduced price :)

find more info here
comparison

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:30 pm

No, the link above you posted is NOT a 5.1 soundcard really. It behaves like one, and has ONE digital out, that needs to be decoded to surrround output by home theater amp.

So it will not work with VDJ ;)
But a real usb surround card will, there are MANY of them, such as :

and many many more...

Make sure it has enough outputs, usually channel 1/2, rear, Channel 3/4 (and even more).

The Herc comes with a free limited version of VDJ, yes...
It has some limitations compared to the pro version, and is at version 3.4 (pro version is at 4.2).

So even if you do get Herc, you should get the far better pro version of VDJ;)

If you dont want the herc, there are several good midi controllers you can consider, such as :

Or just use mouse and keyboard at start ;) Will work too

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:39 pm
Ok.. Just point out, I’m a longtime club DJ and club operator, so I’m not totally green :-) Dj-in-norway, thanks for the many additional options. I’m having a hard time finding VDJ hardware in Canada. That Herc was the only one I found, and I can get it before the week is out.

If I did go with the Herc, does it ship with the necessary patch cables, or are there additional ones I should get as well?

Thanks again all!

J.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 11:59 pm

Cant remember, but think the herc came with ONE set of mini-jack to phono cables.
So thats all you need to connect to an amp (if you are using the Herc as mixer).

But such cables are sold at local radio stores, so easy to get if not..

If you do get the herc, make sure its THE MK2 model.... the others suck ;)
MK2 is pretty neat

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 12:09 am
Extending an appreciative thanks for all the help, and fast too! I'll let you know what happens once everything is up and running.

J.

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 12:42 am

hope to see you as a full member soon ;)

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 12:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)