Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mac Spec. Any ideas???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I posted this a few months ago but nobody seemed to know the answer, maybe someone has since been enlightened :)

"I am thinking of buying a mini mac purely to use VDJ on when the Mac version comes out. Any ideas on the minimum, optimimum specs??"

Tommy

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 5:57 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
fraid there is no info on this yet

as its not yet at beta :)

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 7:12 pm
98thbear wrote :
"I am thinking of buying a mini mac purely to use VDJ on when the Mac version comes out. Any ideas on the minimum, optimimum specs??"

The Mac mini should be fine with any of the Intel Core Duo processors power-wise and for AUDIO ONLY use.

HOWEVER, if you're planning to use the VIDEO features of VDJ, the Mac mini's INTEGRATED graphics chipset will not be good enough.

You will need a Mac with a DEDICATED graphics card. ALL Macs other than the Mac mini and the MacBook, have dedicated graphics cards and also have DVI (or mini DVI) output capablities that support "video spanning" (aka extended desktop). This is what you will need in order to be able to use VDJ on your main Mac AND output ONLY the video for others to view.

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 11:30 pm
Conquest thanks for the reply. I would only be using VDJ for the music no vids. I might have to go and buy a gorgeous mini mac now! :)

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 10:02 pm
I have a macbook pro and it has extended desktop capabilities.

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 10:39 pm
bottomend wrote :
I have a macbook pro and it has extended desktop capabilities.

Of course it would. =)

ConQuest wrote :
ALL Macs other than the Mac mini and the MacBook, have dedicated graphics cards and also have DVI (or mini DVI) output capablities that support "video spanning" (aka extended desktop).

I never said that a MacBook PRO would NOT have extended desktop capabilities. It wouldn't be very PROfessional otherwise. ;)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 1:27 am
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
ConQuest wrote :
98thbear wrote :

The Mac mini should be fine with any of the Intel Core Duo processors power-wise and for AUDIO ONLY use.

HOWEVER, if you're planning to use the VIDEO features of VDJ, the Mac mini's INTEGRATED graphics chipset will not be good enough.

You will need a Mac with a DEDICATED graphics card. ALL Macs other than the Mac mini and the MacBook, have dedicated graphics cards and also have DVI (or mini DVI) output capablities that support "video spanning" (aka extended desktop). This is what you will need in order to be able to use VDJ on your main Mac AND output ONLY the video for others to view.

I dont think this will be 100% true till the product is release. While i do agree with you that it may not be the best choice, there are reasons some will buy the mini.

My reasoning is that we run VDJ on a dell with the same GMA 950 card with the same memory on Winblows XP and the video runs fine.

Maybe the CPU hogs up with virtualizations, but video mix fine.

What its dependent on is how well the MAC version of the code is written for the OS and all the quartz accelleration/OPENgl features.

We will see soon i hope!

Posted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 4:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)