Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What is the normal temperature of an AMD Athlon XP 2800? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

In my computer I have a good CPU fan and a normal case fan, as most computers this should be enough. My computer always reached when on for a while at 58C. It never really went above this. Lately it seems that it is reaching 67 C. I checkd the fans and they work the same as before and are still cooling.

I was just wondering if this is too hot and what is the normal temperature? I don't mean with any hardware, I know some people like to keep it extremly down but what is acceptable? and what is the max?

Thanks for the input.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 12:59 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
that is alright for this processor , just dont let it go up to 87C things go nasty

just a thought check that the air is flowing though effienctly

one way to improve this is cable tieing to minmise the space they fill

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 1:30 pm
The cooler the better, but 67C is TOO MUCH! I'd say remove the computer case, for better airflow, vacuum the inside of your case, make sure all of your fans are as dust-free as possible and check again. Also download Speedfan (just google it, it's the first result (: ). It lets you control the fan speed and monitor the temperature.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 1:31 pm
it is in the recomended range on the manufacturers website however

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 1:36 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had the same problem with my machine. I'm using a Sempron 2800 and it was sitting for a while at about 50 degrees. I bought 4 case fans (2 front, 2 back) to try and cool it a bit, but this only seemed to work a little bit.

The other day I cut the metal 'mesh' stuff away from the back of the case where the fans were sitting and replaced it with fan guards. I ran the machine for a while and rebooted into my bios settings after about an hour. My processor temperature reading was clocking 39 degrees. 39 degrees!!! Wow, I couldn't believe it!!!

I also ran out and managed to get a 450w psu for £25 and replaced my 350w one with this. Machine's running fine - and now there's plenty of air just falling in and out of the case. I've also 'organised' all my cables again onto the pc chassis with cable ties to make it as 'neat' as possible - get some cable ties and get all that junk out of the way too.

If you have this mesh stuff over the back of the case, get rid of it, replace it with fan guards and make sure you clean it more often than not to stop any fans getting clogged up. I'm pretty sure Skyfxl has made a recent post about pc's not running too good...and fan cleaning is one of the tips mentioned in it.

Good luck...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 1:44 pm

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:06 pm
Thanks skyfxl, yes I got the cables tied back! Nice diagram.

Here is a picture of my System Information:

At the moment it is stable at 50C when the CPU gets busy it goes up to 58C but this is normal for me. I don't know why yesterday it was 67C. Anyways, I checked the cables, removed the computer from the wall so it has more breathing space (I assume having it too close to the wall kicks the heat back in once it reflects on the wall) and hoovered it.

VanStino: I use the MSI PC Alert tool and thought I give me speedfan a try after your post. I am not sure if it's reading my PC properly though, either that or my HD is is on fire. Check this out:

Pionara, nice suggestions. Can you send me a screenshot of what you did. I don't really want to wreck the case. I have that metal case and it looks sort of cagey if that's what you mean by mesh bit. It's like holes in the back of the case.

Thanks.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:08 pm
where is sensor 2 placed?

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:10 pm

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:12 pm
Quote :

I don't know, how do I find this out?

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:16 pm
141?? Hmm thats an awful lot eh? : Erhm maybe a sensor is broken and that makes your cooling work less fast or something?

This is mine. I'm on a laptop with an external cooling pad. Still i'm alot cooler (Celeron 1,73 Ghz)

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:16 pm
Joachim_Joe wrote :
Quote :

I don't know, how do I find this out?

should be in the manual

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:19 pm
VanStino wrote :
141?? Hmm thats an awful lot eh? : Erhm maybe a sensor is broken and that makes your cooling work less fast or something?

This is mine. I'm on a laptop with an external cooling pad. Still i'm alot cooler (Celeron 1,73 Ghz)

if the sensor was wacked out should be working harder to cool it down :)

best to try the harddrive cooling kit to be sure

its not expensive at all about 9 or 10 dolars.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:21 pm
Ok, I am downloading the manual to find out where the sensors are.

What the address tab mean in this dialog

Does this possibly mean that there is no sensor?

A cooling tool for the HD is not a bad idea but I assume this will make my PC a lot louder right?

Should I be worried about the 141 Celcius? I mean the temp is constant at 141. That's not possible is it?

Okay, here are the sensors:

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:27 pm
That HD sensor must be wrong, now it went up to 164C. It's melting, it's melting! (well not really but that's what it says) lol

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:42 pm
the sensor that is reporting the extra heat seems to be near the hardrive

so it could be hot

hardrives do generate heatbecase they spin , the cooling kit shoudlnt add much noise at all you can get silent ones aslo

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 2:48 pm
Yes, but not that hot. The harddrive would break at that temperature I would assume.
I will see if I can get one of those cooling HD things. It can only help. Thanks for the tip.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 3:00 pm
good luck let us know if you need any more help/how it goes

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 3:05 pm
Cheers! :-) Will do skyfx.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 3:18 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Joachim_Joe

Here's my 'Mercedes' setup. From the front:

You can see that I've removed a floppy drive from the front to allow for airflow into the case. The bottom bit is actually a cover for an inactive USB hub. The front 2 fans sit in the case just underneath the floppy drive behind the main cover of the case. Both these openings allow for air intake at the front of the case.

From the back:

You can see the new power supply, the two fan guards and the fact that I've removed all of my PCI slot covers. The only slot I have getting used is the AGP slot for my 6600gt. This gives extra ventilation at the back as well.

Inside the case:

You can see the fans sitting there allowing for good airflow through the case. Air coming in the front is passed over the memory, motherboard, graphics card (although it has it's own fan anyway), and the CPU. The PSU has twin fans as well.

The tangles of spaghetti mess are my 'neat' versions of the tied up cables to keep them out the way, again improving airflow. The biggest problem with cables is the fact that because I've put four fans in the case, there is quite alot of it all jumbled up there, especially because there are two cables for each fan. I've cable tied even them together as well to try and minimise the amount space they all take up. I'll soon be looking to change my flat IDE cables as I've heard you can get round ones, which again improves air flow.

The two side by side fans at the front also act as hard drive coolers, because they sit directly in front of the hard drives behind the case cover.

Fan guards:

Don't get me wrong, cutting the mesh away from the case was a pain in the neck, considering i didn't have the correct tools, but a bit of patience and you'll be in there. The edges are very badly rugged, but the fan guard covers this fine. Watch out for sharp bits of metal jutting out though - this stuff is lethal!

Fans inside the case:

You can clearly see from the inside of the case that there's no mesh behind the fans. It's really just a plate of thin metal with holes cut in it. Case makers seems to think that this is enough to completely vent a case - not so. Like I said, I managed to reduce my CPU temp by a whole 10 or so degrees...which I'm sure you'll agree is great when it comes to stuff like this.

Fans and fan guards are dirt cheap, so I'd recommend getting as many as possible. I do, however, need to use at least 2 molex plugs from my PSU (with Y splitter on them). In this case, I'm using 3 directly connected to three fans and the other fan is running off the motherboard as normal. I'm not a great fan of splitting PSU molex cables because I think cases can become cluttered, and quite simply I'm not sure if I trust the splitting procedure. My new PSU is good because it has 6 molex connectors, but i'm sure you can get them with 8 if need be. In this setup, I don't use a cd-rom. I can if i need to by unplugging one of the fans for a while, but hopefully shouldn't need to.

At the front, the mesh is still there, but this will hopefully stop too much junk getting sucked up into the fans, so I'll leave it there for now.

You can check what power supply you 'should' be using here. According to the site, with all my stuff hooked up, I only need about 250 watts, but hopefully the 450w psu will keep my Mercedes running for a good while yet.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Sat 13 Jan 07 @ 6:45 pm
67%