Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ or ROBOT?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 1:27 pm
never mind those arguments, I hear them often too...
that laptop dj's are not real dj's...
but I hear them less and less often, and more and more clubs are getting laptops, and more and more dj's are looking into it..

never mind those arguments
time will prove them wrong
they said the EXACT same thing about cd djing 5-6 years ago
and look now ... cd's are more common than vinyl

laptops are breaking more and more ground. and with new better controllers, timecode etc, this will burst into the industry this and next year...

dont worry ;)

Posted Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 1:50 pm
DJ-N-N: I still like a good arguement [:o)

Here is my reply to their comments (U know my slogan) -

3 kinds of people in this world.

1. Those that lead (Progressive)
2. Those that follow (Passive)
3. Those who are not smart enough to know which way to go and remain lost forever. (Pessimists)

This debate exists mainly because the Pessimists and Passive people haven't accepted the "Image" of the digitalDJ. Most don't even understand the new deliverables (i.e. real-time remixing) of Digital DJing. All they are used to, are the images they have seen over the years of turntablists, scratching, flanging, flipping beats etc.

Digital DJs have a difficult job to overcome by demonstrating new, innovative presentations using the new digital tools. Not sure how many times the point will have to be made that there is more to DJing than meets the eye.

The good news is that there appears to be more people impressed with what they see/hear so far, than those that can't get past their hang-ups.

@ the original post, the fact that the DJ was using all tracks encoded below 128kbps, shows that he wasn't serious about what he was doing and was probably equivalent of the vinyl DJ who uses belt driven turntables. You should be smarter than to use that type of performace to form your opinion.

Posted Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 3:18 pm
cypressPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Why is it big names like sasha and BK are giving up the vinyl for a laptop setup with Ableton live? It is def going that direction...

Posted Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 8:42 am
Why is dj Tiesto looking into different music programs and using his laptop in the future?

I experienced lots of negativism a few months ago when I told people that I was trying out MP3 mixing. Today, they are the first to contact me and ask 'how does it actually work?'.

I have always been one of the first to experiment with new things. Gadgets, toys, music, i'm loving it ;-)

Posted Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 9:15 am
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
1 argument: Time coded vinyl with VDJ. In one word perfect. Enuf said.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 1:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)