Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: laptop nightmares

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK, This is my first post since november, just to recap on prev. threads. In November I was asked to start a night at a bar after 10 year vacation from DJing. I decided to opt for VDJ after trying a few different bits of software. For the first month I used my desktop(amd sempron 3100+ processor, xp home, 512 ram, 1.81ghz) with mk2 console version - no probs at all. Eventually I bought a laptop (see spec below). I have used my laptop twice with professional version + mk2 installed and both times it has locked up at some point in the night which is bad form when you're getting paid. I have since carried on using the desktop as I have lost confidence in the laptop. But I need to sort the laptop out mainly because it cost a lot of money and would make life a lot easier! CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME ANY POINTERS AS TO WHERE THE PROBLEM MAY LIE?? When it crashes everything just freezes and the only way is to power off is by pressing & holding power button.

laptop changes made so far; disabled wireless, uninstalled norton, disabled start ups, disabled windows sounds,effects etc.

SPEC.
Product Description Toshiba Satellite Pro A120-160 - Core 2 Duo T7200 2 GHz - 15.4" TFT
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Dimensions (WxDxH) 36.8 cm x 26.8 cm x 3.7 cm
Weight 2.8 kg
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Hard Drive 100 GB - Serial ATA-150
Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
Power AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
RAM 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz ( 1 x 1 GB )
Graphics Controller Intel GMA 950
Audio Output Sound card
Cache Memory 4 MB - L2 Cache
Optical Storage DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
Display 15.4" TFT active matrix WXGA (1280 x 800) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
Telecom Fax / modem - 56 Kbps
Input Device Keyboard, touchpad
Battery Lithium Ion
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
System Type Notebook

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 9:52 pm
Many important and annoying problems lie in the fact that cooling a laptop isn't easy. I've recently got myself a cooling pad and it's very very useful. A cooling pad cools down the bottom of your laptop, until recently i had problems with the cooling: my laptop always switched from 1,73 Ghz to 797 Mhz because it became too hot. With this cooling pad i can keep it running at highest speed for HOURS without any problem.

Virtual DJ likes cool laptops, just like any other prog ;)

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 9:55 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
try lowering your proformance tab and choose "autolatency"

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 10:15 pm
Cheers - i'll get one - Something I forgot to mention - I play a four hour set when i'm working, however when I have tried to recreate prob. at home by leaving laptop on automix for eight hours it doesn't crash, could prob. be realated to mk2 console?? Also how can I check what speed laptop is running at when it's hot?

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 10:17 pm
with a cpu meter program

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 10:20 pm
Well, if you leave it on automix you dont use your pc intensively by scrolling and using external equip, for example. Use it intensively for a longer time and you'll probably see your performance going down and in the end a freeze...

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 10:28 pm
its probably HEAT... the nr1 crash reason for laptops that arent all new, and are mobile (going from home to club etc).

Remove dust, and your PC might run super fine again;)
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258
http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/a/cleanlaptop.htm

Because of the extra heat, bad air and bad placement of the laptop (free air) a dusted laptop will often crash at club, and not at home.. so ALWAYS KEEP AIR FREE for the FAN

Also, ANYONE using one laptop at home AND at gig, should seriously consider a dual-boot, where you have one "messed-up" Windows with games, internet, and all.. and one CLEAN windows for pro dj use (never ever crashed for me).

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 11:05 pm

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 11:31 pm
Latency is already set on auto. By lowering performance tab do you mean towards best quality? - skyfxl.
DJ - in - norway, I use external hard disk for music and the laptop is used for vdj only however it still has all the garbage on that you get from retailers - do i need to uninstall all unused programs?

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 11:38 pm
i would recomend you rebuild all the software on your machine , with a fresh copy of xp

install only the software and drivers you need avoid downloading things on ur gig computer ect

so you have a prestine computer :)

regards simon

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 11:44 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
warrenleef2,

It could be many factors, even if Intel Graphics 950 isn't the best for video mixing it should work. I think you need t optimize your system. If you can figure it out how, please send a request on the e-service. Maybe I can help you today to fix this issue on there ;-)

Posted Mon 08 Jan 07 @ 11:54 pm
Thanks to all Ill get started on all the above tomorrow and let you know how i get on but for now beds calling

Posted Tue 09 Jan 07 @ 12:29 am
what OS?? if it's mce you will need to tweak firewall and power mgmt most likely ...i use a fan for the lappy and another for the soundcard and external drive.....see my music is cool.....

Posted Tue 09 Jan 07 @ 2:23 am
Any ideas how you go about setting up a dual boot on your laptop??

Posted Thu 18 Jan 07 @ 1:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)