Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rap Beef ????? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Do you think that there is beef between Down south rappers and NY rappers. Some say that the south cant rap they dont understand the words etc... and NY rappers are trying to bring the crown back?

any thoughts on this please sound off!

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 1:46 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I think that if it comes to east coast west coast wars like the last time around, it's pretty stupid.

But if that is what they want to do, go for it.

Stupit phuckers

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 1:58 am
cork socking bastages

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 2:14 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
cork socking bastages

do you want fries with that?

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 2:17 am
i always take fries w/ my shake...lol

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 2:18 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
:D :)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 2:21 am
i think the opera stars should form there own posses and labels and then shoot it out.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 3:27 am
i personally could never say bring the crown back and keep a straight face, but i do think it would make a great story for a mel brooks movie

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 4:56 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
the major difference is that right now the world is getting a steady diet of the same "south" sound over and over again, it rules in clubs, radio, teens bedrooms, etc. Beyond the same sounding south style beats we hear every day... rap songs today are more like hip pop not hip hop, they have no soul, no expression just a 3:48 commerical about cars/clothes/money/hoes. Even if you get 50 cent (NY) on the radio he's talking the same junk.... cars/clothes/money/drugs/hoes/guns. It is a sad time where Mc's cannot express themselves full because they are afraid they might not sell enough records. I really dont have an issue with the subject matter but rather the subject matter is splattered all over the radio and TV all day long. Call me crazy but i never heard NWA on the radio unless it was a small local station at midnight.

The other major difference is that mc's from years back always tried to sound different, to find their own niche to help make them popular or known. Today i can't tell lil'john from lil' wanye, they all start to sound the same. Plus i feel everyone is on a solo artist kick, where the hell are the groups? It seems years back there were a lot more groups then solo artists, right?

my 2 cents

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 5:17 pm
i'm thuggin my way to the club we're gonna deal/do some drugs shoot some people ...it's really cool

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 6:17 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
In reality, there's probably no real rivalry going on at all, it's just media hype to get publicity to sell records. Remember the whole Blur vs Oasis thing in the mid 90s?

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:15 am
listen2 wrote :
the major difference is that right now the world is getting a steady diet of the same "south" sound over and over again, it rules in clubs, radio, teens bedrooms, etc. Beyond the same sounding south style beats we hear every day... rap songs today are more like hip pop not hip hop, they have no soul, no expression just a 3:48 commerical about cars/clothes/money/hoes. Even if you get 50 cent (NY) on the radio he's talking the same junk.... cars/clothes/money/drugs/hoes/guns. It is a sad time where Mc's cannot express themselves full because they are afraid they might not sell enough records. I really dont have an issue with the subject matter but rather the subject matter is splattered all over the radio and TV all day long. Call me crazy but i never heard NWA on the radio unless it was a small local station at midnight.

The other major difference is that mc's from years back always tried to sound different, to find their own niche to help make them popular or known. Today i can't tell lil'john from lil' wanye, they all start to sound the same. Plus i feel everyone is on a solo artist kick, where the hell are the groups? It seems years back there were a lot more groups then solo artists, right?

my 2 cents

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

Today's supposed "hip hop" is crap...

Remember Tribe Called Quest, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Pharcyde, Black Sheep, Public Enemy, De La Soul, etc...
Those were the days...
.. sigh... long gone ....

The only groups close to that are the Black Eyed Peas, Outkast, and Jurassic 5

Too bad all the commercial "hip hop" is all about what you have (money, cars, hoes) and not about fun stuff or serious political issues being rapped about.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 12:10 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I do agree that I am sick of playing those "crunk" songs that are all in the 80 - 88bpm range. It makes it harder to put them in here and there in a set when they are so slow.
I get this one guy every week that complains every week why I'm not playing "crunk sh**". First off, he can't even speak english. The only thing I can make out when he complains is crunk.
I have a dj friend that lives about an hour away (a liscensed vdj user before me) and he is a friend of his, and he said he does the same crap to him.
Anyhow, I don't have a problem playing them, but again, it's all about the bpm's with me. If the songs were more uptempo, I wouldn't have to play 3 or 4 of them in a row, and not alienate the ones that don't like it. I'd love to throw one into most sets, but they don't make it easy.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 12:57 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
If you haven't heard it already, get a copy of MC Lars' "Generic Crunk Rap" - it summs up a lot of the feelings in this thread. The man's a genius.....

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:15 pm
just announce who requested it and don't do 4 songs just do 1 or 2.......next time you say ol smedley wants to hear some crunk again when they all groan you say so we're gonna play something good instead .......at my strip club the really lazy drugged out strippers request that stuff to dance, er, lean against a pole to.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:52 pm
scream cuz i can't sing ???? the haters i have to shoot ?? that guy...ver funny

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 3:56 pm
you notice it is generally the thug wannabe's that request the "crunk" ghetto crap at any given gig. They usually have tat's all over their neck and tin-foil in their mouth. Sure sign of "lawyer or doctor" someday... My general rule of thumb... get the girls dancing, don't concentrate on what punk wants to hear who is going to just bob his head to the song while the dance floor is empty. He doesn't care about having a packed dance floor and the energy level up higher then a 80 beats per minute song.

The bar I am currently a regular DJ at is more of college crowd and they love the hip hop... blah.. anyways... I have to stay very commercial with it. Every now and then I experiment with maybe a classic old school track (when hip hop was hip hop)... but they are so young and brain-washed they just do the whole dog head tilt thing. It is a clean crowd and every now and then I get someone asking for some Mike Jones and Yung this and Lil' that... ugh.. I flat out tell them "management tells me not to play ghetto here" ... some get it and some don't. Not everyone likes the ghetto BS. Or even worse the chopped and screwed rap... Makes me want to kill myself. I totally give up on today's music and youth... we are all (chopped and) screwed if that is our future...

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 6:07 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
that chopped and screwed crap is even worse!

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 6:14 pm
am very concerned myself , i have 2 teen daughters and so far only 1 peircing no tats , 1 is a mediocre student , the other is national honor society .....i like to tell myself that i have been a tough enough dad that i don\'t suck.....also i have been a good enough dad that i intimidate the boyfriends .... they are not allowed to have loser boyfriends. i decided a few years back that it didn\'t seem right to be a dj and play nasty stuff and be what was really part of the problem when i knew as a parent that i told my own kids to be a part of the solution ...... so i have been refusing to play nasty stuff that has to do with violence, drugs, hoes, and bling...... are we so screwed up that we think those things are cool ?

alright well i\'ll get off my pulpit ......yeah you can\'t worry about or play what the thug wanna be wants ,just play what will get the ladies dancing.....i tell mrs. smith who writes the check that i played one of wimpy\'s requests but not even wimpy danced to it.....i tried to make him happy, but i realize that as you are the gracious host you\'re more concerned about how happy the group is than the one individual who doesn\'t dance so i have been playing their requests and they are dancing, they are gonna remember how cool your party was....right now 45 people are dancing and there is only 71 people here including the caterers so it looks like they\'re having fun to me.... being on top of the numbers and the situation will prove to mrs. smith that her party is in good hands.....

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 7:22 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree with everyone here so far. I have to play a lot of urban, but only the commercial/dancefloor friendly tracks, I find much of it quite trashy and cheap tbh, it's all pro capitalist cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend I'm a hard man sentiments, for me that's sad. But as a listener/DJ I ignore the lyrics and feel the flow of the song (when they're crap).

In commercial clubs you need to play a diverse set of tracks whilst appealing to the masses, this can't be done without Hip Hop/R'n'B, it's the coolest music in the lower end of the BPM bracket, but it's for sure a wise idea to stay away from the 'hate' variety of Hip Hop, I think it lowers the tone of the party, and where alcohol and drugs are involved, I don't doubt it could encourage violence.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 7:31 pm
53%