Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Switched an SSL user to VDJ / Virtual Vinyl! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

My turntablist partner, DJ J-Solo (Jammin' Z-90.3 - San Diego & Hot 92 Jamz - Los Angeles), is gonna buy a Mac notebook from me tomorrow and he told me that he was gonna buy it to use Serato ScratchLive [a default assumption for any professional turntablist/dj switching to a digital dj solution here in the U.S... hopefully that will change soon though, ;)].

Then I told him about my VDj set-up that I used on the 15th of this month where I was spinning with my dj partners and friends from 93.5 KDAY (Los Angeles, California) and the World Famous Beat Junkies, DJ's Icy Ice and Dj Curse, who have been having me set-up my equipment separately for now at these monthly gigs that we're doing (they're using SSL on Macs, of course) until VDJ / Virtual Vinyl's TCV response is at least as good as SSL and runs on Mac... which I'm hoping will be REAL soon! ;)

My old friend DJ Rhettmatic (Rock Steady Crew, Zulu Nation, Beat Junkies, & 93.5 KDAY) also came through at that gig and did a guest set. They're all impressed with the video mixing capability of VDJ, but needless to say, they (and even I) won't touch it's TCV's until the response is "ready for professional turntablist and dj primetime".

Regardless, I told J-Solo to hold off a few weeks and buy Virtual Vinyl (he's seen me use it a couple of times at some small parties but thought that he could only use the MK2 console or worse, not be able to use records / TCV's at all), and he has agreed to do so.

That's just one. The amount of people that I'll be able to switch, from professional turntablists and dj's (touring, battle, radio, club, etc.), to club owners and even "influential" people that I know in the larger radio stations here in Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco (have known them since the late 80's / early 90's) is... let's just say... "good". - ALWAYS under-promise and over-deliver. ;)

SO THANK YOU ATOMIX STAFF AND DEV TEAM FOR THE RECENT TCV FOCUSED RELEASE OF VDJ 4.2!

Now let's get some better TCV's (hopefully thinner and lighter, non-warping under normal exposure if possible), tighter integration with SSL (remember, "domination through assimilation" ala Apple's Boot Camp), and (of course) the Mac version out ASAP... but not before it's ready to kick some SSL butt!!!

=)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 10:11 am

Good work ConQuest;)

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 4:52 pm
good

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 5:44 pm
Ok, ok. I thought from the actual title of your thread that you'd got an actual SSL user to switch over to using VDJ / Virtual Vinyl. It would be the first one that I'd heard about.

My estimate for Mac version still stands. Mid first quarter 2007. My assertion that the Mac version will be nowhere near as widely used as the PC version of VDJ still holds true as well. Only time will tell if I'm right or not.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 6:55 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
anewsome wrote :
My estimate for Mac version still stands. Mid first quarter 2007. My assertion that the Mac version will be nowhere near as widely used as the PC version of VDJ still holds true as well. Only time will tell if I'm right or not.

I agree with both assertions, but the Mac version will introduce many more VDJ users, whether the investment will be worth it we'll see. I had no interest in Video when Beta testing, neither Timecoded Vinyl/CD and now a Mac version, but I believed each of these would be good for the company, and so far been right.

Posted Thu 28 Dec 06 @ 10:54 pm
anewsome wrote :
Ok, ok. I thought from the actual title of your thread that you'd got an actual SSL user to switch over to using VDJ / Virtual Vinyl. It would be the first one that I'd heard about.

Yeah, I apologize about that. I realized after I posted the thread that the title could be slightly misleading.

The first ACTIVE SSL user that will switch [when, and only when, VV's TCV vinyl and response is as good as SSL], will be DJ Icy Ice, possibly Curse as well [both from 93.5 KDAY Los Angeles and The World famous Beat Junkies]. Ice is from my dj crew "LEGEND Entertainment". Curse used to be from a rival, now affiliate crew, called "United Kingdom". He used to practice with DJ Joe Cooley of Rodney-O & Joe Cooley back in the 80's. Curse and Q-Bert [we've all been spinning either together or in the same circles since the late 80's] are the dj's that inspired lots of us to take dj'ing to another level: turntablism.

As far as J-solo, don't get me wrong. He IS an SSL user, he just hadn't bought his own yet. He currently uses his own traditional records and rotates on other dj's SSL equipment for his sets. He WAS going to buy SSL as early as today. He IS going to wait for Numark Virtual Vinyl now instead. He DID buy a 2.Ghz MacBook Pro [not a Core 2 Duo, but the 2nd generation Core Duo... I gave him a REALLY good deal. ;) ]... and a 42" LG 768p HDTV [he got carried away with the deal I gave him on the MacBook Pro and then went on a buying frenzy =P].

My point is, SSL has one less user now, and Atomix / Numark has one more professional turntablist and radio/club dj on their side here in Southern California.

As soon as Virtual Vinyl for mac releases and IF it's as good as SSL, I've got at least one more high profile turntablist that will switch immediately because I've gone out of the way to get them used to seeing an alternative to SSL for the past couple of months. I'd say that there are probably more like [at least] 3 HIGH PROFILE, professional turntablists/dj's that I'll be able to switch during Q1 of '07. I'll have quite a few more by summer of '07.

BET ON IT. =)

anewsome wrote :
My estimate for the Mac version still stands. Mid first quarter 2007. My assertion that the Mac version will be nowhere near as widely used as the PC version of VDJ still holds true as well. Only time will tell if I'm right or not.

I don't think Numark will let a highly anticipated product like Virtual Vinyl be more than 6 months late UNLESS there is something REALLY wrong with the product. Releasing it before it's at least as good as the competition will be suicide. It will get blacklisted by turntablists and equipment purchasers everywhere that REAL turntablists and dj's perform.

It was originally slated for an October release. March would be the latest. I'm betting on late January/early February.

The sooner the better... but more importantly, THE BETTER THE BETTER!

You're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT too anewsome, in saying that "The Mac version will be nowhere near as widely used as the PC version of VDJ".

It's the QUALITY/STATUS/VISIBILITY/SKILL LEVEL of the turntablists and dj's using it that's going to change, that's why the demographic that have all those attributes are all using SSL on MACS here in the U.S.

VDJ's got the large quantity of users, but Atomix and Numark both know what I've been saying for months: The QUALITY of the user base is just as, if not more, important than the quantity. It's the same as the whole Mac vs. windows thing. When people start demanding quality, quantity doesn't matter anymore.

One high profile turntablist or serious dj is gonna give VDJ / Virtual Vinyl a LOT more credibility than 1,000 bedroom/hobbyist beat matchers/automixers.

Work smarter, not harder. ;)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 11:01 am
alx2kPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's true that there will be very little mac users in comparison to pc users, but I belive 2 things:

First, VDJ has to create a position in the market, and by now, mac is their "must do". VDJ was at the beginning taken as a game, a toy for home DJs, with every release, it was closer and closer to their competitors, even overcoming them in some aspects. Now it's being taken seriously with their patnership with numark, and they must now throw out the MAC version, maybe not for the market share, but for how important it is for the corporate name of VDJ.

Second, people still belive in mac superior stability, professional DJs here in the forum using PC would change their systems to mac if they are promised 100% stability. amybe I wouldn't in the short term, but when considering to change my laptop, then I would also take on my mind a MAC.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 11:15 am
alx2k wrote :
It's true that there will be very little mac users in comparison to pc users, but I belive 2 things:

First, VDJ has to create a position in the market, and by now, mac is their "must do". VDJ was at the beginning taken as a game, a toy for home DJs, with every release, it was closer and closer to their competitors, even overcoming them in some aspects. Now it's being taken seriously with their patnership with numark, and they must now throw out the MAC version, maybe not for the market share, but for how important it is for the corporate name of VDJ.

Second, people still belive in mac superior stability, professional DJs here in the forum using PC would change their systems to mac if they are promised 100% stability. amybe I wouldn't in the short term, but when considering to change my laptop, then I would also take on my mind a MAC.

I... *sniff*... I think I'm gonna cry...

PREACH ON alx2!!!

You are the FIRST person who I have COMPLETELY agreed with, since you are the FIRST person to say the EXACT same thing that I've been saying since April!!!

I'm NOT trying to "steal your thunder", alx2k, just re-enforcing it!

=)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 11:51 am
That's true, the more serious the DJ the more likely they are to choose a MAC, so if the MAC version only sells 100 copies and one of them is an internationally known DJ then the investment will be worth it.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 11:55 am
Bagpuss wrote :
That's true, the more serious the DJ the more likely they are to choose a MAC, so if the MAC version only sells 100 copies and one of them is an internationally known DJ then the investment will be worth it.

OH!... FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD!!!

I must have done something right... finally.

People are actually starting to understand what it is I've been saying (and getting endlessly flamed on the VDJ forums) for about 9 months now.

HALLA-FRICKIN-LLUJAH!!!

=)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 12:01 pm
hehe :), I've never not recognised the stability of the MAC, you've only got to open up a DJ magazine to see how many profiled DJs are using them (over PCs), the only thing that bothered me about your former life here on the forum was the Pro Mac preaching :), perhaps to the extent that we PC/Windows users felt pressured to go out and buy one, I think you perhaps exaggerated in your comparisions, as the PC/Windows is more than capable of holding up in a Pro environment, it's a simple choice that every 'Laptop' incorporating DJ has to make, it's not what's best, it's what's best for you ;) me? I'm to accustomed too windows to want to change.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 12:14 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
... me? I'm to accustomed too windows to want to change.

Those are the famous last words of everyone of the 2-4 windows to Mac switchers that I deal with everyday, 5x a week, and have dealt with since 2002. ;)

Fair enough though. "To each his own" then, Bagpuss. =)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 12:19 pm
I think you all need to adjust your expecations of the Mac version. In a couple days it will be Jan 1 2007, and the Mac version has not even seen a public beta yet, but you're expecting a STABLE release in a few weeks. Are you all expecting the first Mac version to do video too? Are you expecting the Mac version to have all the features of the PC version of VDJ on release 1? Just curious. Expectations need to be adjusted I think.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 5:40 pm
Good to read this, that means VDJ DEVELOPERS work goes in right way.

That's good for all of us!

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 5:50 pm
Unless clubs start installing VDJ on their system it will have a hard time pushing out Serato.

Remember, with Serato all you have to do is plug in your own external HD and start spinning. No reboot/rescan anything, just plug and play, Serato will change it's recordcase setup to the one you use as soon as you plug in..

Also right now VDJ is not even near as accurate as Serato when on TCV. It's good, very good even, but not the same.. I grew up on vinyl and have been using it for 25+ years as a DJ. I can assure you Serato is the only choice right now if you want to equal or at least come as close as possible to the same feel when using TCV. Maybe the new VDJ timecode will improve things, but for now it's not even in the top 3 for me..

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 6:47 pm
I think it's a crack-up how a handful of us make such a big deal about TCV with VDJ, when clearly, the vast majority of VDJ users are NOT even TCV users and never will be. We sure make a lot of noise though,.. a very vocal minority!

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 7:24 pm
anewsome wrote :

We sure make a lot of noise though,.. a very vocal minority!

True ;) hehe

But VDJ needs perfect timecode use too, as one of the features, and its getting there.
4.2 has FLAWLESS use in timecode CD's at least. Cant get any better, as it works JUST like using CDs.

The feedback on 4.2 with vinyls have been all from exactly like SSL, to a bit like SSL.
I doubt there is a huge difference between VDJ 4.2 and SSL... ;)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 7:27 pm
Having used both I can safely say it's far from the same. But it's not just the TCV implementation. As I pointed out in a previous post..

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 8:31 pm
Good thing you can use SSL then Paul ;)

I'm damn happy with VDJ, its features and use...

Cant win them all ;)

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 8:52 pm
paulheu wrote :
Having used both I can safely say it's far from the same. But it's not just the TCV implementation. As I pointed out in a previous post..

Agreed. It's FAR from the same. Heck, just the single pitch issue alone continues to leave a huge gap. When I look at the pitch on my turntable and it's at +2%, I like to know that the app is pitching the mp3 at somewhere *close* to +2%. ... norway,.. that's just ONE of the issues.

Posted Fri 29 Dec 06 @ 8:58 pm
28%