Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PCDJ vs VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Well, soon i will have to defend Virtual DJ against a strong supporter of PCDJ. Beware, this is not only stability and such, but also sound quality and stuff.

Can someone give me some arguments i can use for VDJ, with hard proof, too. He really is a professional and he is experienced. The slightest difference will not go unnoticed.
So give me things to say pro-VDJ and things to say anti-PCDJ. :)

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 10:49 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Apparently PCDJ is out of business or not developing anymore or something.

Thats all the backup I would need :D

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 11:54 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
well

where do i begin

PCDJ

has no video unless you pay 200$ extra

the time code costs a large sum of money 412 €

its buggy

it has a weaker fame algorithm
it lacks all of these features

Automatic mix points
Beatlock
Sampler
Rhythm visualisation

pcdj charges 99$ extra for kJ

virtual dj is one fully featured product and costs only 299$

and the timecode 19.99$ each not 400+ euro lol

hope that helps :)

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 11:57 am
there not out of buinsess they got bought out by some shady looking people lol

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 11:58 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
yeah thats the one... bit dodgey to me...

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 12:00 pm
Lol! Wow! I'm.... stunned! So many reaction in such a short time!

Another thing to say about VDJ: support is great and FAST! :D

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 12:04 pm
I personally think that not having the visualizations mentioned above by skyfxl is unforgiveable.....everybody else does that and it is very useful....also if i remember right they have some restrictions on asio soundcards that you can use???

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:29 pm
yes they try to make u buy aproved cards i belive or sell u theirs;)

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:38 pm
I do give 'em credit for the dac2 and 3 but it's probably better to use 'em with VDJ...lol also excellent record case ....recently eclipsed though by Traktor's 3.2 release. Traktor doesn't do video or karaoke.I would say that I think PCDJ are very schizo.....some features are good others suck,......

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:44 pm
they should stick to hardware i guess lol

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:45 pm
don't you have to use quicktime for their video????

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 3:53 pm
if you have no soundcard the VDJ audio engine is the best and I have Traktor which is not some piece of junk......

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 4:04 pm
time coded vinyl cost that much with pcdj? wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god, thats a lot of money for the time coded vinyl with pcdj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 5:39 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VanStino -- if it is any consolation -- I have about a half dozen DJ friends in my area that WERE die hard PCDJ users - note WERE. They have all converted to VDJ.

If your boss is looking for good reasons they are all mentioned above. Also, if he is a professional then the one piece of advice he will appreciate is that Visiosonic, Ltd soldout their software development to Digital 1 Media. And since then things have been rocky and shaky for the PCDJ line. The company is not as strong as Visiosonic was. And they continue to drop in annual growth.

Atomix Productions (VirtualDJ) on the other continues to provide revolution and significant challenges to the competition. If this wasn't the case then why is there so much talk of VirtualDJ on the competition's forums (Serato, PCDJ, etc) ? How much conversation about those products are here? Serato - Yes, only because it is a Celebrity DJ's preferred tool and that's where VirtualDJ wants to be. But other than that where can you get - Audio, Video and Karaoke in one package.

BTW, if it is looks - ie the skins - he is concerned with then there are some great guys around here that would greatly help in building a skin to suit the boss' taste. The only reason I even bring that up is because it is a reason I have heard people use to justify PCDJ - which is a crock, but they have to have a reason.

Hope that helps from a pro's perspective.
cstoll

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 7:02 pm
If they like the way pcdj looks use the pcdj red skin for vdj. I was a long time user with PCDJ, but all I can say is they haven't made a solid product since Red 5.2.

Posted Sun 17 Dec 06 @ 11:35 pm
IMO PCDJ (still) has a better sound engine (even without ASIO support) and a better recordcase system.

Overall though VDJ wins hands down.

IMO they're in shady waters right now and their current line up consists of outdated software. What new things they have (coming) like DMX and PCVJ appear to be mostly bought from third parties and relabeled or cut and paste into 'their own'. Their new DJ app which is supposedly going to replace FX is all but vaporware right now.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 12:09 am
I totally disagree on the sound quality, The 4.1 sound engine is superb! the auto gain works well, and I get beautiful sound through my srx-700 series speakers..... plenty of fatt bass, and sweet warm mids, and crispy treble... I think fx and vdj are neck and neck with sound quality.... not the older versions, but the new is jammin!

and the record case....

their record case was a mess... If I import my entire master music database, it keeps everything intact in VDJ, and it takes 20 seconds to do it...

.. If I do it with PCDJ, not only does it take 20 minutes, but all of the sub folders get dumped into one master heading...

so for example, my specialty folder with polish, spanish, russian, indian, etc... all gets mixed together... Unless you build the record case folder by folder which takes forever.

also, VDJ has search as you type... I can't stand PCDJ anymore.... having to push search every time? and it looks for tags.... bogus! Search as you type is a god sent item... I can't live without it...

I haven't tagged anything in 2 years now, since virtual DJ works off the file name.... who needs tags anymore...

VDJ's record case is faster, easier, has more features, etc... I think you are just used to that dinosaur system FX uses...

PCDJ KJ is thrown together... not user friendly, poorly laid out, and bulky.....although it does have singer list management.... (take note VDJ)

the pcdj timecode vinyl is so so... I have it here... VDJ's kicks it's butt though....

I'm a die hard VDJ now.... I can't even play with pcdj anymore... it feels too antiquated!

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 5:31 am
WOW, I don't know what PCDJ products you guys have used but I have been using pcdj since the original pcdj1200....wuay before red..........and yes 1200, silver, blue and red were not very good but for the last 3 years I have used PCDJFX VRM on many systems and they have all been ROCK ROCK ROCK solid since the 7 series started.

IN my opinion for audio (admittedly coming from a Dj who DOES NOT use all the stupid fancy effects that I believe ruin the music) PCDJ is hands down the winner. NO sound problems what so ever, no crashes being used 3-5 nights per week including intel and amd systems, cheap realtek on board sound to ECHO Indo Dj and EGO Wave Terminal 192 sound in three years, a much more accurate beat match, bpm scan and latency.............and a HUGELY better record case that supports ID3 tags.

Yes, Virtual Dj is better if you really need to screw up the music with effects (assuming you can keep it from popping and clicking on anything short of expensive high end soundcards) and if you do video as I do 2 nights per week Virtual Dj is a must.

Virtual Dj still has MANY performance shortcomings: Using the "Video Decoder" on AVI it cuts off the begining 2 beats of the video, if you use the "Windows MediaDecoder" it locks up your computer for a duration from 12-50 seconds depending on your system as the new video loads, there is serious sound popping, clicking and distortion in audio only mode if you have a P4. Any time there is a problem they always say your system is not powerful enough EVEN WHEN YOU UPGRADE TO THEIR SPECS.

I know not everyone has these problems, but if you read these forums it seems most seem to have one or more of them and they always blame it on "equipment incompatibility" and as I have said even when you build it to the specs you are told it still may or may not work which in my opinion means it is a development problem.................and by the way they have yet to address the fact it doesn't use ID3 tag standards or some form of file name csv for colum sorting.

I will continue to use Virtual Dj for video, but for audio PCDJ FX VRM isd FAR FAR SUPERIOR..........

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 7:01 am
I also Have a FX VRM, but was forced to swap to VDJ due to sound drop issue. I even brought a new laptop on forum tips, but still could not get rid of the sound drops! New version comes out, sorry you'll have to pay for that. Even after VRM had not even paid for it's self, due to my having to revert to Old Red, to prevent managment from firing me!

I found that on my two laptop systems FX would hickup about every hour (And yes, I tried every trick in the book to fix it!), desktop systems (I had two loaded) had no problems. So yest it CAN be rock solid, but it CAN also be a darn pain in the butt! Being a intermittent problem, it just left you scared to even go to the bar or toilet!

VDJ has had it's moments, but under normal use I have no issues at all with it, and it does video and karaoke free, PLUS so far all the up dates are free. That bit I love, not putting their hand out everytime an update it released!

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 7:36 am
Dude, I have been with PCDJ since 100sl, I was one of the first 4 or 5 forum members, and I don't recall seeing you around. Unless you played under a different name...... I used to work with people for hours on end fixing problems, and helping people tweak their machines to avoid clicking, popping, stuttering if you changed windows, etc...

FX has been a nightmare... you want to talk about incompatible hardware? no asio support, fx doesn't do video, but your video card had an effect on the audio output. go figure...

Even for the highest profile members on the pcdj forums all talk off the record, it still dumps once in a while on everyone... problem is, I was one of the only connected people over there that dared to speak out about the shortcomings of the software... everyone else kissed their asses and made it sound like all was well... well, that's why they lost me and numerous other old timers....

I can run VDJ on a fresh out of the box celeron laptop, without changing the desktop theme, without disabling effects, without adjusting system resources, etc....

VDJ is far more stable... I've never had it crash ever!
I video mix every night.... I don't know what you're talking about with the video, but it doesn't cut anything off... I use windows media player decoder for everything... it's fast as hell, even when loading up an entire episode of the simpsons...

I run VDJ, elation Compuware, Roxbox Karaoke, And pangolin SMS IMU all on the same shuttle computer at the same time....

never a hiccup, or anything.... The people that have big problems with Virtual DJ are people who can't leave well enough alone.. don't touch any settings if you don't know what you're doing... it's easy to screw up....

I have 4.1 running on an old IBM thinkpad PIII 800mhz with 256 megs of ram....

know what? for audio only, it runs like a champ! I'm using a gigaport sound card on the usb 1.0 bus, and it's great!

most people don't have problems with VDJ, which is why 99% of the O.G> pcdj users are over here now...

VDJ does everything....
winamp is more full featured than FX....

the old red was a powerhouse... it was also the last one jorgen hedburg had anything to do with.... after that, the outsourced stuff they fed us was never quite right...

I like the PCDJ folks, but they need to stick to hardware, they've been out of the software game for quite some time....

Posted Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 9:44 am
71%