Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone know anything about VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
HI,

I am looking of someone to recommend the best software to accomplish the following:

1st: I have all my music videos on my hardrive as .vob files. I do not have to rip them off anything and do not have the ability to do that as I no longer have the DVDS.

All I want to do are 2 main things:

1) some videos (from promo only) have parts with no music. I just want to cut that piece out (edit it out) and move the other 2 pieces together to make the music video without the drop. Just like in Soundforge for music. I want to simply save it and have my new .VOB file.

2) I want to make my own sort of vidoes. By laying down the audio track and then taking a video (muting the audio), and laying it as another track, therefore creating a music video. Hopefully the video it will have timestretch too. I want to then save it simply as a synced up .vob file again.

Does anyone know which software is best for these 2 simple items.

I was thinking Vegas video but read some weird things about .vob files and the audio?

Please only respond if you have done these and know for sure.

THANKS.

B

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 6:56 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i would recomend sony vegas

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 6:59 pm
SKy,

it will do all I mentioned?
Any obstacles to overcome that you know of from experience accomplishing those things?

How about lining up the audio and video?

B

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 7:28 pm

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 7:30 pm
djvintaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Sony Vegas will do the job just fine. I do it all the time.
You can drag the .vob into the timeline, even thought sony don't officially support it.
Most vobs will work, but some may be quite slow to load or work with.

Vegas started out as a multitrack audio only program, so the audio features are great.

The only concern I have is about quality.
If you are working with NTSC vobs, be sure to save your file as NTSC mpeg and your project settings should also be set to NTSC. Unnecessary conversions doesn't look good.

There is a demo of Vegas 7 on their website btw.

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 8:02 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
DOnt know about sony, but I use pinnacle studios. works great

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 11:11 pm
@djvinta,

quality is a concenr becuase my .vobs are ripped directly from promo only and play and look great- Will I be losing picture or sound quality in any way?

thanks,

B

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 11:11 pm
i like pinical studio aslo

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 11:12 pm
@Dj vinta,

I d/l the vegas trial and it had no prob putting in .vob. Can you help me on how to cut a small part of the video and matching audio out. I know soundforge and acid but this is slightly different.

Thanks.

B

Posted Wed 13 Dec 06 @ 11:46 pm
If you have the latest version of Nero, use Nero Vision for the basic editing of the .vob files. Nero Vision is simple to use and the edited file is of the same quality as the original. I have been able to use it to edit the dead spots in the music videos with success.

Posted Thu 14 Dec 06 @ 9:00 pm
djvintaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
You can keep most of the quality in Vegas as long as you keep your project settings at the same as the source files (your vob files) and render your video in the same format.

You should look out for frames per second, ntsc or pal and field order. Usually your sourcefiles are Upper Field first.

If you take the extra time to check this it should look good.

Posted Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 5:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)