Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Assigning Video to an audio file

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi

i doubt this is possible at present, but let me explain first what i want to acheive and why.

I want to be able able to assign individual video files to individual audio files (pre peformance), so that when the audio file is being played, the assigned video is also being displayed, then when fading, both the audio and video are faded at the same time.

I dont want to use a video file that is the marketed video of the audio track that is playing, but rather just a (seemingly) random video, i believe this can still acheive a good effect if you choose the right videos. (Think along along the lines of the Fatboy Slim video for 'Praise You', appears to be just some random footage but still works really well)

Posted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 11:56 am
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You could use a video editing program like sony vegas, and add the track to the video. I did that, and it worked great!

Posted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 5:10 pm
Yes, I think it's the best way to do it...

Posted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 5:26 pm
don't know if this will work cuz i havent tried it but i heard there was a 4 deck skin for 3.4 [so it should be compatible with 4.x] so you may be able to set up shortcuts [one set for the left pair of decks and another for the right pair of decks] to operate [play, pause, nudge etc..] 2 decks simultaneously [one of each pair with the muted video of choice loaded on it and the other with the song you want on it]. [or if you have tcvs you might be able to set one tcv to operate two decks and the other operates the other 2 decks] That might work but I dunno, just an idea i guess :P. I might try it out one day...

Posted Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 2:12 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You may be able to do it by loading the audio track you want to hear in the sample section and playing the video in one of the decks. I'm not sure if there is a maximum length limit in the sampler but if not I can see it working. Just use beatlock and turn the gain/volume of the video track down to 0.

Hope it works!

Otherwise yes the best idea is a video editing program like sony vegas.

Posted Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 3:21 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Have you looked into AviSynth?
I have never tried it with VDJ, but I have used it in the past for other purposes and it does virtually exactly what you are trying to achieve.

http://www.avisynth.org/

You write a small script that specifies the audio file and the video file, as well as some other optional parameters for effects, etc. and the script, when called, invokes the AviSynth engine which serves up the video. I believe the script files are called ".avs" files, so you could just add that as a video file in the extensions tab of VDJ' s setup. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Once again, i haven't used AviSynth with VDJ... haven't had a need for it since VDJ started doing video, so I can't gaurantee it will work quite as you are expecting.
Good luck, and please do let us all know your results if you give it a try though.

Posted Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 8:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)