Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Impressions of a new user

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, as a new user of Virtual DJ (bundled with my hercules 2 console) I am struggling with a few key issues regarding Virtual DJ

1. As far as I can tell the only difference between the version that came bundled with the hercules and the Professional version is the ability to download sound effects from the website. If this is not the case then were on the website does it list or show a feature comparison between the Home and Pro versions?

2. Why are playlists so difficult to edit??
Why When i play a track from a playlist they are then removed from the playlist?!!
Why Once I have saved a playlist there seems to be no easy way of adding or removing individual tracks from them?

3. Why are the column headings the in music browswer not customisable? I want to add a bit-rate column, how do i do this?

4. The sound quality of the EQ is awrfull and very unresponsive, why is this?

Apart from these points, I am quite impressed with your software, it has lots of potentiial. The integration with the Hercules console is great, the fx really make a huge difference. I also love the inbuilt sampler.

I would be very impressed if somebody from Virtual DJ would answer these questions.

ps: marketing tip: remove the cheesey picture from your website logo - it makes you look very unprofessional and more like a toy for kids!

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 4:34 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
magicfeet wrote :

1. As far as I can tell the only difference between the version that came bundled with the hercules and the Professional version is the ability to download sound effects from the website. If this is not the case then were on the website does it list or show a feature comparison between the Home and Pro versions?

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/comparison.html

magicfeet wrote :

2. Why are playlists so difficult to edit??
Why When i play a track from a playlist they are then removed from the playlist?!!
Why Once I have saved a playlist there seems to be no easy way of adding or removing individual tracks from them?

Actually, they are just standard .m3u files and can be edited with any media tool that uses this standard, and are really very easy to edit within VDJ once you get used to the interface. For example, the 'recycle' icon next to the playlist (en/dis)ables the removal of items from your playlist so that when a file is loaded, it goes straight to the bottom of the list. Similarly, a saved playlist can be opened in the regular song browser panel and that way, the playlist can be used like a folder and when songs are loaded from it, they don't disappear and don't move.

magicfeet wrote :

3. Why are the column headings the in music browswer not customisable? I want to add a bit-rate column, how do i do this?

This is not currently possible because the column headings are preset and unchangeable (aside from some registry hacking that can be done to change the order.) However, you can workaround this by putting your bitrates into the comments field. There are several ways to do this depending on whether you use ID3 tags and whether you can edit xml efficiently.

magicfeet wrote :

4. The sound quality of the EQ is awrfull and very unresponsive, why is this?

I wouldn't say the sound quality is awful, but it can definitely be improved, and in fact has! The sound quality of VDJ V4.0 is MUCH better in many ways than that of V3.4.
Unfortunately, there is no Home Edition of V4.0 for you to use yet, but luckily, as a Home Edition user, you can upgrade to the full version (V4.0) for a discounted price.

magicfeet wrote :

Apart from these points, I am quite impressed with your software, it has lots of potentiial. The integration with the Hercules console is great, the fx really make a huge difference. I also love the inbuilt sampler.

The software really is impressive.

magicfeet wrote :

I would be very impressed if somebody from Virtual DJ would answer these questions.

One of the most impressive things about VDJ is that you will get responses from regular users of VDJ like myself. If I have been using the software every weekend for 2 years, have personally converted several DJ's from PCDJ, have about 500 posts on the forum and have enough knowledge to help, then imagine what one of the users labeled as "experienced" can do, compared to an "unexperienced" user like myself! ;)

magicfeet wrote :

ps: marketing tip: remove the cheesey picture from your website logo - it makes you look very unprofessional and more like a toy for kids!

I have to agree there, but that is our opinion.

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 5:03 pm
Ok, thanks for the answers. The comparison table is not displaying its images at the moment so makes it quite difficult to read!

with regards to V4, how stable is this at the moment?
Is their quite a big learning curve from 3x to 4? I am playing out tommorow night and would do the upgrade tonight if Id not been put off by all the posts on the forum regarding the issues (esp the Hercules issues!)

thanks

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 6:58 pm
For a lot of users vdj4 is stable (like myself on 3 different machines). The learning curve is not that big, while most changes are in the audio engine quality.

We do not recommend to do an upgrade to a new version in a hurry before a gig. You could install both versions, but it would be better to upgrade and test the software and make the correct settings in the new performances tab in the config menu. These settings are dependant of your system and could take some time to get used to it and get the proper setting for your system.
Ewout

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 7:23 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Most people do not have a stability problem with V4.0, but are more concerned with features and functions that operate differently than what they are accustomed to and therefore are not yet confident in using V4.0 live yet (I am still in this category, but plan to covert completely to V4.0 by this weekend.)

For a new user like you, I would say just jump right into V4.0 and begin taking advantage of its improvements and superior sound. Don't bother becoming familiar with the old (V3.4) way of doing things, when you will eventually want to go to V4.x anyway.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 6:47 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

For everyone that don't feel fully well with VDJ4 skins, use the default 1024x768 as must of us are use to, and start using VDJ 4 all the way ;-)

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 12:42 am
u right i like the default 1024x768

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 11:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)