Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do you feel about downloads?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It's always seemed to be very hard for those DJs who use CDs, without subscribing to a promo company it is very hard to find compilation CDs which feature full unmixed 12" versions, particuarly for urban music (I know of none).

As Vinyl is the most expensive and for some the most inconvenient medium (requires a longer ripping procedure etc), I'm quite inclined to lean towards "pay per download" sites such as traxsource etc.

But i'm not sure if i'm happy paying per download, paying for a file that you feel you have little 'ownership' over, and an e-mailed receipt just doesn't feel as effective as a hard copy.

I can think of tons of advantages for CD & MP3 download, but it would be nice if there were more DJ compilation CDs on the net and in record stores, because ultimately there's nothing better than going to your favourite record store and comming home with a pile of CDs to add to the collection.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:48 am
djpuursPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I use Vinyl's and CD's. I live in Belgium and we have some good stores with Vinyl's and CD4's here, where I buy most of my stuff. I hardly download music from sites...

I'am not really a fan of Urban music, so I can't really help you with that.

But indeed nothing is better then coming home with some kick ass Vinyl's and CD's. ;)

Greetz

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 11:57 am
Sorry boys, but i am going to have to disagree, with you...

I use VDJ, use downloaded music, i think its better, cause its easier having the music downloaded, alot cheaper and more easier to take around, just take for eg.

If you use Cd's or vinyls,you would want to buy a song that you need, but you look in your wallet and you havent got the money you need to buy the song..

Then theres arriving at your gig, you are currently doing your gig and you go to search for a song withing your collection (Vinyl/CD), and its not there, and then you would get the S#!TS, cause you cant find it as you need to play it

But On the other if you use downloaded, you just need to take one thing, your Computer that has the music saved, and then you have everysong you need, cause its in the computer, and you dont have to worry about not finding a track, so if it was me i would download myself a P2P (which i have and use downloaded songs for Vitual DJ), Program and have the songs saved on a computer.....

Now You be the judge.....

Now which do you like, buying cd/vinyls, or downloading and having songs stored on your PC.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 9:33 am

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 10:24 am
In Alberta (and the rest of Canada I think) there is something called the A.V.L.A (audio visual licencing association I think). Anyway an individual or company must have to have one of they're permits to have music performed in public. Therefore a subcription service is the only permissable way to get music. Even buying an artist's cd and copying the music is considered a gray area.
I have been working at the nightclub and have had private investigators come up to the dj booth and ask for proof of source for the music on my hard drive. This happens about once every 2 years or so. BUT if we don;t have it the investigator can actually tell me to turn off the music on the spot and fine the club. Which is why most DJ's when hired at my club are firmly discouraged from bringing in they're own cd's. Unless it's myself and the one other DJ who works there and we just copy our subscription service cd's on a month to month basis.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 6:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)