Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sound Enhancers/Processors

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Calling all DJ's!! If you could only get one sound processor, what would it be? Compressor? Equalizer, sonic enhancer? I am thinking of getting a BBE 8821 Sonic Maximizer right after purchasing speakers. I'm hoping that this will hold me for a while. Any thoughts?

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 7:52 am
Equalizer for me, to tailor the sound to the venue and cut out on feedback if it gets to be a prob. I'm not too keen on compressors in pa work and an audio exciter or sonic enhancer is a step too far for my old-school temperament. Just my old-fashioned ways.

A

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 2:17 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Why do you need an compressor ??
Why do you need an enhancer ??

An Eq can be useful ... sometime

Is it for mobileDJ or un An Club ??

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 3:47 pm
I am a mobile DJ. I use a Peavey Kosmos for my small to midsize system. On my bigger system I use a BBE Sonic Maximizer and sometimes a Rane EQ. I believe the particular model Kosmos that I have, they have discontinued. The model they have now costs a little more. They both make a big difference in your sound though. Your system may sound good, but when you turn one of these on you most likely will leave it on.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 4:58 pm
I use a digital speaker management system. It has buitin cross over, limiters (like it when having a guest DJ), Eq, Delays and so on. While my speaker system is 3 way active I already needed the crossover. I could also use my setup 2 way active or fullrange, so a digital solution with a couple of setups stored is easy.
Ewout

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 7:14 pm
It depends on how you want to use it. If you are an audio guru, of if you have someone come in to do a sound check for your events, and equalizer is probably the way to go. Most of the time you will never use the features on most of these processors. It's like all those 'modes' (stadium, concert hall etc..) on your home theater amp. Fun to play with, but not really useful. Just get a crossover/equalizer if you are looking to get just one piece of equipment.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 7:22 pm

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 8:12 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For mobileDJ

no neef of effect except EQ

and i use EQ only when i use more than 2 mic , like in an karaoke gig

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 9:56 pm
mUd-V wrote :
For mobileDJ

no neef of effect except EQ

and i use EQ only when i use more than 2 mic , like in an karaoke gig

If you ever try a BBE or a Kosmos, you will never go back.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 10:04 pm
I agree with a man and his music. I use a horn loaded speaker system (see blog). In case of horn loading speakers, you will need some time management (delay) while the horn for the low end is longer than the one for high frequencies. You could also tweak your system with using a reference microphone and pink noise. This will result in far better quality than without a digital speaker management. I use an Ashley one.
Ewout

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 10:23 pm
get the DBX Drive Rack... it's the best bang for buck out there... it's what i use at all of my gigs. spend another 40 bucks a get the beringer messurment mic and you can 'pink' the room at any venue and it will give you the best eq setting tailored to that room... not to mention a GREAT feedback killer. the crossover on it is amazing, eq great, it's got a subharmonic synth, compressor/limiter, and more. i wouldn't fool with anything else.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 10:34 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the DBX range is a good bet, i know alot of local sound systems who use them, industry standard and all the features you will need.

another good bet is the behringer ultra drive, someone mentioned the DBX driverack is good bang for buck.............your not goin to beat the ultradrive for speaker management

4 in 6 out letting you settup 3 way (for use with pro 2/3way independently wired tops) and 4 way if your running a mono stack (eg a rave), can get a matching behringer mic for it for next to nothing and pink noise the venue not just to find the baseline measurement for the venue but to let you eq on top based on the calibration, high pass filters to protect your bins from subsonic signal, delay, if your using horn loaded cabs as superstorm is or even if your speakers are elevated at different hights and you want to keep the output in phase with respect to the listening point of the audience. also useful for running a delay stack if your doing a large event with separate smaller fill speakers and keeping them in alignment so you dont get echoey sound

and no i dont work for behringer lol

Posted Fri 18 Aug 06 @ 2:13 am
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Wow. As usual, many opinions. Nothing is cut and dried. lol Mud, I am a mobile DJ. My expected setup will be either JBL EON 15's (maybe without subwoofer, for now) or Mackie 450's. My first gig will have about 100 people. Just trying to get my "starter kit" tight.

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 2:25 am
My recommendaton would be to save your money for now. Just enjoy the great sound you will have with the Mackies (I like them) and site your speakers properly, then you'll have a great setup.

There's always another week to spend money.

A

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 10:32 am
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Use DBX Drive Rack PA myself. It has all of the above mentioned featres and it reasonably priced. I do a good bit of Karaoke and sometimes feedback can be an issue. The room is always changing as people come in and out. having filters helps. Of course I had gigs this weekend and did not have it because it went back to the manufacture. The lcd screen became scrambled and I could not read it. I did not have any feedback either time. I also did not have eq either. I just used the three bands on external mixer and all was well. If you are tight on space in your rack, something like this is the way to go. xover, eq, compressor, limiter, delay, it does a lot for such limited amount of " real estate" in the rack.

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 11:23 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Dude...GET THE DBX DRIVERACK ! ! ! ! !

I have one and it's AWSOME. It replaces the EQ, Compressor, Crossover/Limiter/Gate, Delay, Filter,Feedback eliminator, just about everything in a 2 rack space peice of equiptment.

You can set it for YOUR gear, your specific speakers and amps.

To me it's the best thing on the market. I still use a BBE Sonic Maxmizer along with the Driverack but 98% of the time the BBE is run flat. I can tweak it when needed but I hardly and rarely need it. It's just nice to have.

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 5:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)