Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercule, scratch & noob

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Would it be possible for someone to add (or point to) a small tutorial on scratching with DJ Console (w. VDJ 2 full).

I cannot manage to obtain anything decent... I don't know if it's a matter of sample or technic (probably both).

I have to add that I'm completely newbie.

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 6:24 am
hi there... :)

scratching is very hard (good scratch), and needs practice :)... it's working fast and in tempo, making good sounds with crossfader to cut of and make effects...

there are some good "beginners how too scratch" videos posted at "mix lessons forum" here... that a look at try, and practice ... :)

scraching with hercules is very cool - but it takes practice ;) lots of... lol :)
it's going to be a bit difficult on hercules, althought you can make some good and decent scratch sounds, it's a bit different than vinyl/xp10 becasue it doesn't have a "tactical plate" (stops and stay stopped if you put your finger on it), it has a very sensitive jogwheel (great work from the team!!!)... so it responds very good to touch on the wheel - direction and speed.. practice and you can make good sounds :)

good luck... (there are many good guides at the net by the way)

dj in norway

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 9:08 am
Thank you very much.

Is there "some kind of sample" that are easier to learn with (bass ? voice ? loud or low ?)

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 5:45 pm
voice sample or accapella is the best for good sounding scratch... and esiest to start with :)

many dj's have sample vinyl (with a lot of voice samples saying for example "yeah" etc) that they use for nice scratch sounds... you can find many accapelas or samples on the net for the use :)

or even some scratch with a sample scratch sound... a bit "faking it", but sound great :)

when getting more pro, try breakbeats/hiphop (harder)... or other genre ... try turning down/off bass and maybe also high on the track u are scratching with... play around :)

Posted Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 6:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)