Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Connecting turntables for regular Vinyl and also TCV usage?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

[Edit - just realised this should probably be in the technical section, very sorry - mods feel free to move]

Hi folks.

Having a bit of a hard time with this one:

Currently running the phono cables form my 1210s into RCA splitters, then taking one lot into my Maya44 (For the VDJ timecoded signal) and the other lot into my Numark mixer (For normal records). I flick the switch from phono to line and it works fine but..... the signal strength is affected majorly by the splitters.

I had read elsewhere on this forum the splitters don't affect the signal, but they blatantly do - by taking one end out of the splitter whilst its playing the sound instantly sounds better, more high end - with the splitters in place its muddy, less defined - I guess its the same story as with composite video connections losing brightness when split. Oh well.

Just wondered how others are doing it? I have a lot of vinyl and want to be able to spin that alongside my TCVs for VDJ. Have tried using skins with timecode bypass and using the same cable, but thats not even close to a workable solution yet (though I am told it may be for V4).

Do such things as lossless, or powered splitters exist? if so, where?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 31 Jul 06 @ 2:22 pm
Hi.

My solution to this problem has been to make a box with two flip-switches (one for each channel) that breaks the current that goes to the Maya44, and thus the whole signal goes into the mixer. This works well, but it is still a hassle to make that box and to carry it around and hooking it up at gigs (I'm just using a laptop, not an all in one mobile solution)...

If you decide to make such a device, bear in mind that the flip-switches need to be double-channel (as each rca cable has two sets of poles), and that the pole that needs to be broken is the positive (+) one.

The other solution is to get the u46dj soundcard, which has built-in RIAA preamps so that the internal bypass function of VDJ should work satisfacory. I've reluctantly ordered one of these, but I have not yet received it, so I haven't had a chance to test it.

Posted Mon 31 Jul 06 @ 3:21 pm
I use the Y-splitters and do not have problems with it. I'm sorry I can't help you

Posted Mon 31 Jul 06 @ 5:44 pm
sjursjur - thanks for that - i'm not technical enough to build my own (though i'm sure its fairly simple in the end) but have ordered a couple of RCA selector boxes, should do the trick hopefully (can't believe I didn't think of that before- d'oh!)

gregory1 - thanks for the reply anyway - play a normal vinyl through one of your decks, then whilst its playing, unplug the sides of the y-splitters that go into your pc soundcard - do you not hear the signal improve? you should do.

Posted Mon 31 Jul 06 @ 6:36 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Suggestion and Question -

Sugg- Hae you tried using a ground loop isolator to come from the Maya into the mixer and see if that cleans up the signal?

Ques- Why do you flip the switch from phono to line? Do you have VDJ going into the same channel as your TT? Channel 1 Phono:TT Channel 1 Line:VDJ Left ?

cstoll

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 4:24 am
I've had problems with the tc bypass function, sounds terrible. but using y splitters fixed the problem, now it sounds good on my system. Not to say that it does not affect the sound quallity , could be, but I really can't tell. I use the same sound card you do, 1200s mk2s, and mix back and forth from TCV to real V. sounds good. make sure tts are well grounded also the better the quallity of splitters,the betterthe connection.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 8:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)