Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HELP! - buying new laptop soundcard

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I want the best soundcard available - best sound, easiest to integrate with atomix, and NO CRASHES.

I am using a new dell pentium 4 laptop with 512mb of ram. I am considering the following soundcards to use with a new Version of Atomix, virtual Dj or whatevr it is called now. I want the best, but can not have any crashes... so should I be fine with soundblaster laptop card? or move up to an external usb card? Should I get the mk2 mixer thing? I was looking at the one professional hardware featured on the site, the x10 I think.. does that one give you steroe output, AND a headphone monitor? or do I need to buy two of the for that?

I need a good sound card so I can move up from my old laptop and be using Atomix new vesion.. these cards I have been looking into: (any comments or issues with any would be appreciated!)

Kaysound DJ Console MK2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUPE1O/102-9050710-5533722?v=glance&n=172282

VXpocket v2
http://www.digigram.com/products/getinfo.htm?prod_key=9000

PCXpocket v3

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook
http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_2_ZS_Notebook_sound_card/4864-3022_7-31156120.html?ctype=msgid&messageSiteID=7&messageID=1287605&cval=1287605&tag=uolst

Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_USB_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_2_NX/4505-3022_7-30580579.html?tag=pop

ESI U46DJ 4-in/6-out USB mobile recording
http://www.digitalproaudio.com/esi-u46dj.html

Hercules DJ Console MK2 USB DJ/Audio Interface
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HERDJCONSOLEMKII

Please HELP! Any and all comments and suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Steve
Nashville, TN
www.dynamitedjs.com

Posted Fri 07 Jul 06 @ 7:09 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The sound card won't do any good unless u plan on buying the software...the trial version doesn't have any advanced sound card configirations in it
also it depends on what u want to do ..as far as using external time coded devices
Sound Cards don't cause crashes ...irq conflicts and bad device drivers do

Posted Fri 07 Jul 06 @ 7:33 am
The herc mk2 comes with the home edition VDJ software, but you'll have to upgrade to pro ($99 for mk2 owners) to use TCVs. Also, the mk2 doesn't provide low latency use of time codes, so for cutting, scratching, and agressive techniques you really need something better (recommended low latency card being the esi u46dj).

I'm using the mk2 as my card right now, but I'm going to buy the u46dj next month if floridamusiccompany has it in & then use the mk2 as a control surface. Whatever you do, you're best to buy the software now at the current price because it's liable to raise with 4.0, and apparently 4.0 will be free for 3.4 pro users;^]

Posted Fri 07 Jul 06 @ 8:00 am
I currently own 2 licensed (paid for) caopies of atmoix v2 - which I do not use, because they do not work well on my older laptop, (still using the v1 that I bought years ago - works fine, missing features that I requested forever ago). I do intend to buy the new version this week, as I have a new laptop tp work with, which actually has USB 2.0 ports.

I have no need for Time coded vinyl, although I would like the option to play with it one day. What I need is a way to play quality sound and a headphone monitor. When I used a desktop system with 2 sound cards I could play and mix music on on card out to the crowd, and headphone monitor with the other soundcard. At this time I can not monitor with adding a 4 channel soundcard I am guessing.

I have an ond extigy external soundcard that just crashed my old p3 -1.3 ghz system, so it never gets used, just sits there on my bag reminding me to do research before buying.

The X10 look like my style, but I will not buy two fo them just to have a headphone monitor.

If the mk2 works good, and allows heaphone monitoring, I am all for it.

I love atmoix, and have "sold" it to many clubs and other DJs over the years (showing it off, and telling them where they can buy it). So the software is not an issue, (yet:)

I do look forward to the video capability, although I have heard from another local DJ that atmoix freezes up with some of his videos, so he uses something else, I think nero showtime, for videos.

Right now I need music capability. If that is up and running well, then I may move to buy a new gateay laptop with 256 MB video card, and then try it out to see how it worls.

Thanks for the tips.

Steve
(who is too frickin lazy to go searching for my reg codes to post a quick question, sorry)

Posted Sat 08 Jul 06 @ 3:48 am
Steve,
if you already have a licence, for VDJ pro, you will not need to buy a new version. You simply should fill in the serial number you received (back in the days) in your profile. You simply are able to dowload the latest version, which is 3.4. All upgrades from 1.0 until 3.4 were free upgrades and even the upgrade for the upcoming 4.0 will be free for pro users.

Also note that you don't need multiple licences. You are allowed to install VDJ on multiple pc's, the restriction is that only you are using it. The licence is a personal licence and not a computer licence.

Back on topic:
If you want the best sound card, buy a Rme. These are probably one of the best and have very good drivers. Side note: These soundcards are rather expensive.
If you would not spend much, I shoudl buy the u46dj, while this is the recommended sound card for VDJ.
Ewout

Posted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 1:13 pm

Posted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 5:29 pm

Posted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 5:45 pm
Thanks for tip about vdjpro. At first I was like, HELL YEAH! that is awesome! Then the second time I read it, I think I misunderstood you. See I bought Atomix V1 years ago. Then Atmix v2.0 (two copies) one for me, one for the club I was working at since they had another dj as well. I have eyt to purchase the Virtual DJ version, or VDJ pro I suppose it is. I knew when atmix v2 did not work well on my P3 laptop, that trying Virtual DJ would be suicide during live performances. So I have been (and still for most gigs) using / use Atomix V1. It sucks by today's standards. But when it came out, it was the shit. And I have my folders setup in it etc.

Finally my laptop has gotten too old, too used and abused. After about 5 years of dj gig after dj gig, club after club, and doing photoshop and pinball quite regularly, well, it's about toast.

I have more dj gigs coming up and can not afford to have the system crash. I have inherited through another position a newer P4 dell laptop with 512mb of ram.

The RMS looks interesting, but I am having difficulty in figuring out what I would need to use as the I/O box if I purchsed thier laptop card. Also pricing is not readily web accessible from what I can tell via thier USA distributor web site. Perhaps a round about price would be nice.

Assuming I ended up with the RMS or U46DJ for the soundcard part, would it be prudent to bring another cheap usb soundblaster for a backup? Would it work okay or just hamper the computer and not really ever work right with VDJ?

I appreciate your tip about the Maya. I belive I tried one of those, perhaps a 7 channel unit, a year and a half ago, and I found the crosstalk unbearable. At low volume levels I could hear what was being monitored through the headphones, right into the main speaker output. Very frustrating, I tried another model just the check if it was a defect, but I still ended up with crosstalk. Maybe the Maya 44 is a higher quality than the 7 channel Maya I found at Compusa. If this is the case and the 44 is really pro, then I suppose I will still consider it.

thank you guys sooo much for the tips! Anything else you can suggest I would greatly appreciate it!

Steve
www.DynamiteDJs.com

PS Are there any low cost, and "low on computer resources" controllers out there that work well and make using VDJ easier? (I don't mix a lot or scratch, I mainly search for the next song and add it to the playlist).

I imagine my system will already have several accesories connected to the laptop at the same time, including; a mouse, an external firewire harddrive, the external usb sound card the U46DJ most likely. Would adding a controller make it hard the computer to handle all these peripherals and run the music seamlessly?

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 5:23 am

Virtual DJ will work with almost any soundcard out there...

If you are going to use timecode (vinyl or cd's) to controll VDJ from real dj hardware, then you need a asio2 soundcard, and the recommended ones would be Maya 44 or U46dj.

If your are not going to use timecode, you can get a cheaper Soundblaster yes.
And you also mentioned the Hercules MK2. Its a good option too..
The mk2 has a great soundcard, pluss a controller on top, and also has 2x line in with asio drivers, so you can use it for timecode too (but a little slow asio drivers, compared to U46dj, so not for scratch).

If you are not going to use timecode, I would recommend the Hercules MK2. Has good soundcard, native controller support in VDJ.

And if you have Atomixmp3, you can upgrade to VDJ pro for a discount price :)

Hope that helps

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 8:51 am
YES! Very Very helpful.. I am trying to order the mks but it seems to not be available anywhere.... Supposedly I will be able to order it Monday, but I have gigs coming up, so I am thinking about buying the EMU E-MU 0404 to use until I can aquire the MKII or the U46DJ.

Does the EMU E-MU 0404 laptop card ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200006185373&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCCK_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT ) work okay with the Virtual DJ, (playing decent sound with outputs to monitor w headphones.. etc..??

Posted Fri 14 Jul 06 @ 8:36 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
That links for a pci card not for a laptop card, but creative does make pretty good cards any 4.1 or above card works with VDj

Posted Fri 14 Jul 06 @ 9:14 pm
UGH! You are right.. that's what I get for surfin' with no sleep for two days!

I was trying to find one a little cheaper as a stand in for a week or two until I can ge what I really want... The local music store (guitar center) has an EMU 1616 PMCIA card for ike $400 - I had not realized that they are the same company (creative) as soundbalster... that worries me, I have had so many probs over the years with soundblasters and drivers and stuff...

Here is the EMU that a local store has in stock - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-1616-Laptop-CardBus-Digital-Audio-System?sku=242514&src=3AXCAWXX&src=3WFRWXX

pricey, so if it is not as good as the UDJ46, then I wonder if the soundblaster under $100 card would get me through the week while I wait for the MK2 to become available or until I can decide on the other UDJ46.

Guys I really really appreciate your posts here! Thanks so much,

Steve

Posted Sat 15 Jul 06 @ 9:49 am
HELP!! I need a sound card for my laptop I just bought. I have been spinning off of a full computer using a Maya 44 and I love it. I want to know:

1 is a firewire better or worse than a USB?
2. How is the M-Audio Audiophile Firewire?
3. I can't find the u46dj local to here (Connecticut).
4. Which RME is recommended?

I guess what I am asking is WHAT DO I GET??

Josh

Posted Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 4:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)