Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Upgrade from Maya 44

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi

I'm using a Maya 44, but some posts on here make me think that I might be missing out on sound quality due to the fact that it is 16 Bit? I usually rip my files at 320 and use a DAC-3 |I'm not too bothered about Timecode compatability.

A few people have mentioned the M-Audio Firewire 1814.

Do you guys think that the sound would be better with the 1814??

Posted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 11:32 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Maybe, but you can't hear that difference in a club, just on some studio monitor speakers like Alesis or similar. Maya is just fine and enough quality.

Posted Sat 17 Jun 06 @ 6:58 am
Thanks, I don't actually do much club work, mostly mobile, in decent venues, with a decent PA. I suppose the sound quality issue is for me, because I am under no illusions about the public's lack of interest. But when I am playing music I get a buzz out of a good sound.

Have seen one and might buy next week.
Andy

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 10:51 pm
16 bit is the same as (almost) all dj hardware... All mixers and cd-decks (with very few exceptions)

So, having 24bit out to a 16bit mixer will really be "over-the-top":)

16bit is fine..

You can think of audio bit resolution as not that much different than images resolution: the higher the resolution, the greater the clarity. On standard CD audio, the resolution is 16bit at 44.1kHz. That's acceptable to the average listener.

DVD audio is better. The best sound cards can handle these higher rates, such as the default of 24bits at 96kHz and the top resolution of 24bit at 192kHz. With these samples taken 192,000 times per second, you have extremely accurate audio recording and playback compared to CD audio.

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 10:58 pm
Thanks for the input.

I don't understand, though, cos isn't a mixer an analogue device, so 16 bit (digital concept) may not translate to what a mixer output would sound like. I probably am completely wrong. dj-in-norway.

I am using a Rane MP2 which sounds great with the Maya. But I will take your advice and save myself 400Euro. Will spend that money on my Son who is 16 now, although it doesn't seem two minutes since he was a baby :)

Andy

Posted Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 11:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The quality of the conventers (dac) is the key, drivers also have some importance in sound quality especially if sample rate conversion is needed.
Maya's dac's (and drivers) are acceptable, much better than a cheap soundblaster, but not the top quality as an RME for example. I'd say they are comparable to the dac's of a middle priced cd-player (like the pioneer cdj100, also 16 bit), that means if the source is good they will sound the same.
maya will sound better with v4, same as cd as i said, keep your money unless you need the best...
And yes most mixers are analog, but those with effects have digital processors so they need to convert to digital and back to analog, for the effect part.
In this case, if the conversion is in 24 bit this makes sense because you convert an analog signal to digital.
But in case of an -audio- cd player or vdj+mp3 and a soundcard you have already a digital signal that is 16 bit in both cases.

I hope this helps you to understand better.

(ps. dac= digital to analog convertor)

George.

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 2:56 am
Thanks

As always, couldn't have better advice from you guys. Great to save money.

Andy

Posted Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 9:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)